• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Down Time

moved the site over to a new host after the other host didn't do us proud and gave an estimated fix of October i kid you not, some images may be missing as the database is recent but the site is a few weeks old I have disabled uploads for now to make it easy when i switch back it will make my life a lot easier so bear with me. will be back to normal in a few weeks.

My iPad made a beep, I looked and an email from the forum and I was still logged in from before all the problems started ...

Thanks Warren it looks like it has been a real trial for you.

All very strange (to me!)

Cannot connect via PC but can using iPad.

Chris

PS Ah - it doesn't seem to like https shortcuts, as opposed to https

Yeah there is no HTTPS on this server this is a temp one until I can move it back.

All linked forum pics, Coppermine pics, and any pics uploaded after May 30th are not visible but I presume that is because of the current temporary server conditions.

That's right , the backup used to move to this site are a few weeks old the database which is all the posts etc is current. I've done this to make it easier to move it back in a few weeks. This is why I have disabled uploads for now that way all I have to do is dump the database from here upload it and move the IP.

It means instead of days of work it's an hour or so.

Hi Warren,
I am computer ignorant so did not have a clue as what was going on. My heartfell thanks

Chris Beresford (Old Boy)

Warren,

Many thanks for all your hard work, as frustrating as it may be for you. With a temporary inability to upload pictures, I guess traffic is going to be very quiet for a while, but it can't be helped.

Maurice

Thank you Warren!
This has been a difficult time for you, I'm grateful you are sorting it out for us.
rosie.

I
Warren,

Many thanks for all your hard work, as frustrating as it may be for you. With a temporary inability to upload pictures, I guess traffic is going to be very quiet for a while, but it can't be helped.

Maurice
It might not be long I'm waiting for an install date to connect the server to a new provider it probably won't take long as the infrastructure is in place

I

It might not be long I'm waiting for an install date to connect the server to a new provider it probably won't take long as the infrastructure is in place
Keep up the good work Warren and I think a great deal of thanks are due to you. Of course it is all double Dutch to me , I don't u understand a word of it, can get you on my tablet (for blood pressue) and smart phone, but not on laptop or notebook, don't tell me why I would not understand. Just keep juggling all those bytes and things and remember you will be lauded by the BUT members

Bob

Keep up the good work Warren and I think a great deal of thanks are due to you. Of course it is all double Dutch to me , I don't u understand a word of it, can get you on my tablet (for blood pressue) and smart phone, but not on laptop or notebook, don't tell me why I would not understand. Just keep juggling all those bytes and things and remember you will be lauded by the BUT members

Bob
See the tablet fights back should be Birmingham History Forum members but every time I put the initials in it changes them to BUT........
Bob

well believe it or not I got back today to find the connection had been re established to the server, So I have moved us back and redone the database. attachments have now been re enabled. everything is now fine

Well done, Warren, and thanks.

It all seems to be working fine so far for me as well.

Chris

Thanks Warren. Cannot say I'm very impressed with the Electricity Companies attitude ! Customer service is not what it used to be, it's all about profit now. Eric
y

Thanks Warren. Cannot say I'm very impressed with the Electricity Companies attitude ! Customer service is not what it used to be, it's all about profit now. Eric
y

I think it was a combination of open reach and the power company two poor entities

Yes, I noticed the change when PO Telephones became privatised and became BT, staff and customer took 2nd place to profit, the main reason I took early retirement. Just tried copper mine, all seems OK. Thanks again. Eric

Many thanks Warren :) I have missed the BHF and sooooooooooo pleased to have you back in my home again :))

I think Warren deserves a big thank you from us all, as i believe he was on holiday while all this was going on.

Hi Warren
many thanks for getting the forum up and running for us all and the hard work you have had to do
for us all its a brillient site second to none ,
I have to say i have been gutted and lost for every day you was missing i did not no what to do with myself
but luckily for me the best next thing for me was my book from amazon arrived it was the one i had been searching for ages
And that was wholesom it was of cause the eddy fewtrell book king of clubs it was a gret read
Hundreds of pages and names of dozens of people from around the region and far a field from is whole family members as well
I could actualy relate to many peoples names he mentionioned and there was one incident that they refered to i knew strat away whom the persons they was refereing to and i do not mean the krays but you would have had to knnown personaly of a particular incident
but any way warren it got me through the blues of missing the your great site , or should i refraze our forum site
and most of all my dear old friends here on the forum
thanks a million warren we are all behind you best wishes Astonian,,, Alan,,,,

It is good to see the old place up and running and the 'gang' all here again. :D Thank you Warren for your perseverance, I know it must have been a hair tugging affair. I have just installed Linux on this pc, so I appreciate what computer technology can throw at one.

The 'missing' BHF left a big space on my screen so I installed FSX and got my flight sim piloting skills back ... coming into land at St Maarten ... two reds, two whites ... my approach looks good ! :D
Screenshot (54).jpg

Last edited:
The 'missing' BHF left a big space on my screen so I installed FSX and got my flight sim piloting skills back ... coming into land at St Maarten ... two reds, two whites ... my approach looks good ! :D
View attachment 115921
oldMohawk, is that really what the landing strip looks like? Looks like a pilot has to really concentrate to land on that. I read recently that a tourist was killed there when she was blown over as a jet was taking off.

Back