• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Double Zero Club

hI
............ AND I REMEMBER THE FILMS SUCH AS GIRL ON A MOTORCYCLE.
I remember this. We did some publicity for the picture house that was showing it at the time, can't recall the name of it but it was on the road through Newtown going towards Perry Barr, just past The Bartons Arms. The run went from the DZ up Digbeth, along New Street, into Corporation Street and I think we carried some banners or something. What was called for was Girls on Motorcycles and there was plenty of those ! All on the pillions though, none up front. We got a free showing of Marianne Faithful and Alain Delon.
So, who can answer - when was it and who was in the procession ?

PoJo

Are there any old motorcyclists out there who remember The Double Zero Motorbike Club?

The club was started in the late sixties by the Rev. Dave Collyer (whatever happened to him) at a church in (St. Basil's?) Heathmill lane Digbeth.

I used to attend until about 1969/70 when I sold my bike. Now after 30+ years I am back in the saddle and reliving old memories.

Bob Johnson

Hi, I'm trying to find people from the dz club 69/70 who might of known my brother,his name was david hooper better know as flower,could you please tell me if you knew him or might know someone who did,it would be nice to hear from people who did,my name is carol hooper. thank you

Hi, I'm trying to find people from the dz club 69/70 who might of known my brother,his name was david hooper better know as flower,could you please tell me if you knew him or might know someone who did,it would be nice to hear from people who did,my name is carol hooper. thank you

I remember him from Greenway St.

I remember one of the lads was always called flower. Though not a personal friend of mine I recall he was well liked.
Steve Nelson

Thinking about it I think he was known as Brian the Vic, or Rev.........as opposed to David Collier, who was Dave the Vic.
That's right, his name was Brian. He used to do amateur dramatics in the church as I recall. Myself and a friend borrowed his old Landy to pick up some second hand bike parts one day. We were coming back from Northfield and stopped to put fuel in. It took us and the garage guy 10 mins to discover the fuel tank & filler cap was under the front seats.

I went to the DZ in the late 60's early 70's, names i can remember are Lez the ted, Nelson and gabby i think he had a tatoo on his shoulder of a chiefs head the only girl i remember was Pamala Bennett i'm sure i gave her a lift home she lived in west heath
There were two Nelson's. On e was Graham Nelson, and me Steve Nelson with the glass eye.

Hi all, i am little geoff, one of the founder members of the dz club back in the mid sixties when we only had the little club house next to the church, will write some more later and hopefully catch up with former members, ie Pops who took on one of the rough pubs in kingshurst and turned it around! Big Jeff, Jonny Winsor, Pete Hank's, 'H' with the lovely side pots bmw, his parents ran the Adam & Eve pub down the road in digbeth, Little Wink who had the fastest tiger cub going! ran on castrol r & the smell was lovely when following behind, so many other people to mention and remember so will come back soooooon! take care, best regard's Geoff

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure how pete & nich hayes are doing? but i remeber getting into a few scrapes with pete:rolleyes:, they lived over falcon lodge sutton, last seen nich on stand at bulldog bash 97/98, hope they are doing fine and settled down by now!

The Hayes brothers lived in Hathaway Road near to Mere Green. I knew them in the 60's.

I remember a few TV documentaries about or at least includind the DZ, one called Miracles take Longer or something like that was used as a schools program I think.

Wonder if any copies have survived.

John 2000

The guy you are asking about is Henry Godwin who had a twin brother John, their parents ran the pub you are talking about. My husband and I went to school with them. The Rev David Collier performed our marriage ceremony, the vicar of our church (St Pauls) was on holiday and the curate was supposed to marry us, he was rushed into hospital so Rev Collier married us (he was curate of St Mary's I think). What a nice guy he was put us at ease.

Yes i went to the double Zero club in the mid to late 60s
You can contact me at ****************

No, I had tuned up C15's and B40's and a starfire with a B40 engine. The only guy I recall with a busted leg was Mad Mick the outlaw on his M20 combo with a coffin sidecar with a stick tied to the gear pedal. Apparently he and his pals were riding off somewhere when a bunch of skinheads were shouting abuse at them. On the verge were some 45 gallon drums so Mick decided to drive over and kick a barrel at them, unfortunately for him it was full.

No, I had tuned up C15's and B40's and a starfire with a B40 engine. The only guy I recall with a busted leg was Mad Mick the outlaw on his M20 combo with a coffin sidecar with a stick tied to the gear pedal. Apparently he and his pals were riding off somewhere when a bunch of skinheads were shouting abuse at them. On the verge were some 45 gallon drums so Mick decided to drive over and kick a barrel at them, unfortunately for him it was full.

My reply was aimed at post 72. I was thinking of a tall kid with Glasses nicknamed Joe the something ( cant remember what ). One of my memories of the DZ was hin trying to get somebody to kick start his bike for him, then riding off with his left leg in the chair ( Dont forget, on real brit bikes, the gears were on the right in them days )

Hello Bob, Come on now! Get your thinking cap on. You are not senile yet. I am the KW whose bonnie you bought back in 1964. I used to live in West Bromwich and I hristened you Rocker Johnson. Now do you know who I am?

Hello Bob, here is a little ditty about Alex`s. I would like to see the photo of the members of the Double zero club.

Hi Bob, I used to be a member of the double zero club it was a regular hang out for me and my mates. I still have the dz badge and a badge from the 59 club which is sewn onto my draggin denim jacket,I also sorted out the other day a magazine called link which was produced by the 59 dated 1967 club and it features a story about the dz with a large picture showing Dave Collier and a group of the members which was taken at the top of the drive to the church which i am also on along with the friends that I used to go with. If you are back into biking and still live in the midlands go to Bassetts pole on a Tuesday night in the summer if you happen to spot me in my denim with the dz & 59 club badges say hello I tend to park up with friends by McDonalds

Hello Steve, I used to go to Alex`s and the DZ in the sixties. A bunch of us "Oldies" still meet up at the cafe at HOar Park Craft Village CV10 OQU on Wednesday mornings. In the bad weather we mainly go in cars but on a good day there can be up to 150 classic bikes there. See you there ???

Hi Ton up boy, Thank you for that invitation I will take you up on that when the weather improves it's good to know there are still people out there from the dz days and it will be ineresting to see the old classics. In the mag that I mentioned there are dealers advertising bonnevilles for just over £100 incredible eh? And on the front cover there is a picture of all the bikes parked up as you go up the passage to the club room. When I come I will bring it so that anyone who is inerested can have a look. Steve

Hi Ton up boy, Thank you for that invitation I will take you up on that when the weather improves it's good to know there are still people out there from the dz days and it will be ineresting to see the old classics. In the mag that I mentioned there are dealers advertising bonnevilles for just over £100 incredible eh? And on the front cover there is a picture of all the bikes parked up as you go up the passage to the club room. When I come I will bring it so that anyone who is inerested can have a look. Steve

Any chance you could post it on here ? We aint all still riding.

67 was a bit before my time going there, 68/69/70 was nearer for me, when it was just the church hall at the back. I remember an all nighter there for the 5 years anniversary but didnt get there much after that.

Hi fatfingers, sorry for the delay in replying yeh I will try and post the pics an the article about the DZ on here but I aint very computer savvy I,ll ask a friend how to do it and if I can't do it I'll get him to do it for me. I used to live in Aston at the time when we used to go to the club and alex's when i pass the church now and again it always brings back fond memories it's good to know there are people out there who still remember it. I still ride I have a Triumph tiger 1050 and my current biking mates are all younger than me and dont remember it, I go to Bassetts Pole regularly in the summer and have never seen any of the older guys with any DZ badges and if I wear my draggin denim with the badge on no one has ever mentioned it.

View attachment 62572View attachment 62571Hi fat fingers here are the pics from the mag as promised.View attachment 62570
pencil.png

Good grief, didn't know so many of you guys were still alive, I well remember Lez the Ted (lawrence Mills) and many others, I was a member 1967-1969 and still have my badges. I rode an Ariel Square four at the time
but moved onward and upward. I still ride (GL1800 Goldwing) and still in touch with Bob and Mary Marks. She was a teacher who rode a Bantam and Bob had a number of machines (shooting star, Velo etc) but would be best remembered for his Reliant 3 wheeler.

No problem Amanda I'm glad you enjoyed them it makes it worth while when you know it has brought pleasure to someone. Sorry about the scribble on the bikes you might guess that I had a triumph Bonnie then being as I thought at that time that i thought everything else was rubbish,lol. I wish I had all those bikes now though. Steve.

Hi, I've just come across this whilst doing some research on another subject. I started riding 'bikes in 1970. I visited the DZ twice, also Alex's Pie Stall. Dave the Rev (or Dave the Vic - take your pick), wasn't there when I was, but he's popped up in Media.articles on B'ham over the years. I used to go to the Tow Rope, and spend nights watching the drunks being thrown out of the Night Club opposite (Was it the Opposite Lock or similar?), other than that it was out to Corley on the M.6 as not many places were open after 11, and few welcomed motoircyclists.
The 'bike scene was changing then, in the 70's & 80's I was a Mechanic working for a major Dealer in B'ham and saw how the Jap Superbikes easily took over from the old & tired British bikes that were left around. Bringing newer people in Motoircycling who would otherwise have had cars. I also saw that, whilst the majority of riders were decent folk, there were some scum about. Bike thieves. We in the B'ham area knew who they were and where they lived. If you had a nice Bonnie, esp an Export one, they'd be after it. A number of my mates lost bikes to these lowlifes. A few are still around, although, like most of us who were Teenagers in the late 60's, we are now in our early 60's ! By the late 70's the 'Hells Angel' culture saw some following that lifestyle and congregating in certain locations. Violence, theft & trouble usually accompnaied these people. You mention Wolverhampton, they had especially rough gangs up there. I believe some of these folk were killed, either in Accidents or being shot. They all seeem to have expensive Harleys now, not an export Bonnie in sight !
To answer a few points......the Sutton Centre location was "The Cowsheds" a series of wooden bus shelters next to the Dog P.H. The Hayes Bros, Nij, Pete & Chris were around Falcoln Lodge, but I can't say where they lived exactly. There are quite a few old D.Z members who meet at Bassetts Pole, but not on a regular basis, some date from the start of the club, (Which used to be a night shelter for the City's down & outs at one time), to those who attended in it's last years of the early 70's.
The Badges, yellow with two interlocked rings with 'D' and 'Z' in are rarely seen now.
I know several Bob Johnsons...Which one are you? Tinny or Antiques, or another?

Hope this helps. P.

Thank you. The late 60's & early 70's were a time of change in B'ham. What was built then has now been knocked down, so even those memories have gone. I was a spotty teenager then, frightened of my own shadow, but they were good times. It's a shame Cope's, Grays, Kings, Aston Autos, B'ham M'Cycles, Hailwood & Gould, even DC Cookes, (Idiots), have gone. Even That great Palace on the Stratford Rd, Onslows is a shadow of its former self. I had good mates worked in there.

Hi Bob, I used to be a member of the double zero club it was a regular hang out for me and my mates. I still have the dz badge and a badge from the 59 club which is sewn onto my draggin denim jacket,I also sorted out the other day a magazine called link which was produced by the 59 dated 1967 club and it features a story about the dz with a large picture showing Dave Collier and a group of the members which was taken at the top of the drive to the church which i am also on along with the friends that I used to go with. If you are back into biking and still live in the midlands go to Bassetts pole on a Tuesday night in the summer if you happen to spot me in my denim with the dz & 59 club badges say hello I tend to park up with friends by McDonalds

Hi. I met steve.m at Bassetts Pole McDonalds last tuesday. Nice guy, just as described. A few others do go there, Bob, Mick, Ray, if & when I'll introduce them.

Back