• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Don't Wake Me at Doyles

rowan

Born a Brummie
I have just bought this book from a charity shop simply because it has the word BIRMINGHAM on the back cover ;)

It is a memior by Maura Murphy of her life in Ireland and when she came to Birmingham in the 1950's.

Has anyone read it? I am looking forward to, what I hope will be a good read. :)

Maura was born in 1928 and was still living in Birmingham when the book was published in 2005.

Thank you Alf..............how sad but I am sure she found great peace at the end of her life having left behind the story of her life.

Sounds interesting Rowan, please let us know if it is...Cat

Hello rowan,I read this book last year it was outstanding in its 'awful truth'.This lady went through such a lot but she found strength eventually.She was very honest when she said the catholic priests treated her as if she did not exist despite her asking for help.I felt sorry for her and very angry that such a good woman was treated so badly by her cruel husband.I hope you enjoy this book even though it made me angry and sad at times.Mary

Back