• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Dollman family Birmingham

J

Jessica

Just realized I started this post in wrong thread. Thanks to Mike and Pam for help so far.
Charles Arthur Dollman emigrated to Australia in 1870 with his wife Emily Hunt and children 'Lillian Blanche Elizabeth' and Charles.
Emily died day after arrival in Melbourneaged 21.Baby Charles also died that year Charles went on to remarry Lily Wise in 1880. I am curious as to Lillian's movements before 1892 when she has a daughter in Melbourne. Information on Lillian greatly appreciated.

Also what did Charles Arthur end up doing in Melbourne? Just him and little Lillian?
And did Emily (nee Hunt) family learn of her death and what was the outcome?

Hi Jessica could this ALAN DOLMAN be one for your family tree? he skated for the BIRMINGHAM MOHAWKS ICE SPEED TEAM at the old Springhill ice rink (see other tread) he also worked for GEC WITTON in there tool room with in the WITTON MOULDED PLASTICS DIV. around the 1950/60s

Hi all,

I've done over 25 years research on DORMAN/DAWMAN/DOLMAN/DOLLMAN/etc names, mainly in the Birmingham area, and there are many changes of spelling in the 19th Century and earlier for no other apparent reason than the fact that many of them were illiterate. That said, I don't as yet have a Charles Arther DOLLMAN or variant in my database. Just thought I would alert you to these unusual variants.

Maurice

When I worked at Harrisons in Bradford St, in the toolroom, in the 60s there was a Roy Dolman worked there, I believe he was a twin, he lived at Kings Heath, Regards Eddyjay.

Hi all,

I've done over 25 years research on DORMAN/DAWMAN/DOLMAN/DOLLMAN/etc names, mainly in the Birmingham area, and there are many changes of spelling in the 19th Century and earlier for no other apparent reason than the fact that many of them were illiterate. That said, I don't as yet have a Charles Arther DOLLMAN or variant in my database. Just thought I would alert you to these unusual variants.

Maurice
Hi there, I've just completed a family tree on Ancestry for Dolman but it sounds a bit boring with only names of people, possible going back to the early 1700s. I wondered if you had any information on what the Bilston and Birmingham area was like during those early years or any information on the trades they were in. I know the family were gun finishers and blank tray makers ,then worked with asphalt. I've tried to attach a rough family tree which i believe is correct up to William then supposition.

Attachments

• Dolman FAMILY TREE.pdf
    222.6 KB · Views: 7
Hi Mike,

And welcome to the Forum. My late wife's maiden name was Joy Ann DORMAN and I can trace the main branches back to Longborough in Gloucestershire in 1761. They certainly seemed to have moved to either Aston or Birmingham by the time of the 1841 Census, but were still in Longborough in the first few years of the 1800s. As most were either labourers or semi-skilled workers such as spade, fork & edge tool finishers, it is difficult to find much other information until 1841.

None of them kept licenced premises or got involved in crime, and hence didn't appear in the newspapers, and this trait is the same with many families. Most had large families, and due to the conditions in which they were living, infant mortality was quite high. And, of course, they tended to marry spouses of similar status in society.

Because most of the early generations were illiterate, this resulted in many variants in spellings in the surnames. Richard DORMAN seems to have kept the spelling DORMAN until his marriage in 1898 and then became Richard DOWMAN as did his four children.

Poor people rarely had the money to buy cameras and many marriages took place with no photographic record of the event being made until well into the 20th century. However, there are quite a few surviving photographs of the streets in which they lived, and they will be found on this Forum. The search engine is certainly your friend if you have the name of the street in which they lived, and can be found at the top of most pages as "Search forum", and general threads such as "Courtyards and yards of Brum" abound with photographs.

If all else fails, please ask giving names, streets, and dates, and the many knowledgeable members on here will do their best to help. Enjoy your stay! :)

Maurice

Back