• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Does anyone remember the organ grinder and his monkey

HI ANGIE I WAS BORN 5 BACK 92 LICHFIELD ROAD ASTON NEXT TO THOMPSON,S AND MANY YEARS AGO IN THE EARLY DAYS OF 1953 1954 , AND WHEN WE USE TO GET THE FOG VERY DENCED, AND IN THE DAYS OF TRAMS , WE USED TO SEE THE OLD MAN AND THE MONKEY AT THE BOTTOM OF OUR TERRACE STANDING OUT SIDE THE WIDDOWS ARMS AND THE OLD MAN WOULD BE TURNING THE HANDLE WITH THE LITTLE MONKEY SITTING ON THE TOP WITH A LITTLE NECK TIE AROUND IS NECK HOLDING A LITTLE CAN IN IS HAND,HE DISAPPEARED FOR SOME YEARS,THEN IN THE SIXTY,S HE RE APPEARED BY THE SPUD MAN,, BEST WISHES ASTONIAN,,

HI POSTIE, MANY, MANY THANKS, YOU HAVE MADE MY DAY , I CERTAINLY REMEMBER THOSE SHOPS, AS IF IT WAS ONLY YESTERDAY, FANTASTIC , I WILL DOWN LOAD IT LATERTHIS EVENING, TODAY, THANKS OUR KID , I CANNOT THANK YOU ENOUGH, MY EYES LITT UP WHEN I SCROLLED ON AND THE MEMORIES CAME FLOODING BACK, I HOPE YOU DON,T MIND ME ASKING HAVE YOU ANY MORE PIC , OF ASTON CROSS, THANKS . BEST WISHES,,,,ASTONIAN,

I worked at Rogers Printers, Aston Road North from 1961, as an apprentice compositor. We were next door to the pub and opposite Startin's car showroom. Up towards Aston Cross and across the road was the TV studio where Crossroads was made, a pawnbroker and a shoe shop. Our factory was demolished to make way for the Aston Expressway and the printers moved further up Aston Road. Happy days.

Hi postie
I sure do recall the organ grinder and the little monkey he had on top of it and the old man whom carried him around
He was up and down that Lichfield road he stopped by the cross guns pub and came along and stood at the bottom of our terrace
Which was where as tons the cake shop was our terrace on Lichfield road was listed in the electrol roll reg,
As Cromwell square and at the bottom of the terrace there was two huge pillars about six feet tall and on the top of them
There was two huge concrete round balls one each side
And that's where he stood we the kids all father around him and we all ran to our moms asking for a penny
We used to see him quite often eventually he never came around again but what I also recall is the sandwich board man
Carrying on his back and front the two. IG bill. Boards saying the end is high and this is when you can recall the thick black among
Where we all carried torches and lamps to walk around helping to guide people and trams going down to the junction of Victoria road
And church lane to turn the trams around on the tracks to go back to town or even go back to miller
And yes mike I recall the printers on Aston road north in fact I do believe there was two of them right along Aston rd north
I think it was either just passing white house street or just before it it was a big company
I was only trying to think about it the other night to bring it on to the forum for people to recall
It was some where around the brook. It was a big building and the name of the company was up high on the building
This would be in the fortys and early fifths as we travelled on the trams up and down my grann lived in white house street just pas chinns mother
And I recall chinn when I was a nipper and when I walked down white house street to go home on Lichfield red I was worried to walk pass them him and his friends
So I would cross over the road until I passed them at the corner and cross back over to go back down the Lichfield rd
Then I would go into the my grand dads chip shop in park lane and it in and get chips with vim to
But yes most certailaly mike and jim I do recall the organ grinder and the hawker on Sunday after noon
Walking up the courts and terraces calling out penny winkles penny a pint we always had to pints in the beer jug
And we all got our safety pins of mother for when we got them off him
Best wishes to you both astonian,,,,Alan,,,

hi I remember the baked spuds and the chestnuts was Great , on the New st, lovely end to the night,jenny

I remember Randalls, it was on the Lichfield road, Aston Cross, My Aunt worked there for about Forty years as a Binder.

Back