• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Does anyone know what was 'acpinater' warehouse girl in Nov 1935?

Jeavons93CliftonRD

Brummie babby
I have a death certificate for a young lady who died 29/11/1935 in B'ham from shock, general burns after her clothing ignited by contact with fire - accidental death. The certificate states rank/profession as 'acpinator a warehouse girl'....I'm not sure whether this was a warehouse or workhouse? The lady was only 18 at the time of her death and died at General Hospital which I assume was Steelhouse Lane? She lived in Buckingham St Aston at the time. Can you help?

Perhaps if you obtained the Coroners report it should give more detail.

Coroner's Inquest Reports

Birmingham Archive and Heritage Service holds Coroners inquest reports from August 1875 onwards, although the court was established in 1839.
There are no surviving Inquest Report files before 1875.

The Archives and Heritage Service also holds a series of indexed newspaper cuttings which are open to view. These date from the 1890s up until the present day.

Inquest files are arranged chronologically so you will need to know the date of the inquest. This is given on the death certificate or in a newspaper report.
Pre-1875 reports

Before 1875 you will find inquests reported in local newspapers which are located in the Archives and Heritage Service. There is also a Coroners Court Roll which gives brief details of inquests held from 1839 onwards. A microfilm of this roll is available in the Archives and Heritage Service but the original is not held here. For inquest reports before 1839 you should contact the relevant County Record Office.Closure of records.

CORONERS INQUEST FILES ARE CLOSED FOR 75 YEARS
If you wish to view records less than 75 years old - contact the Birmingham Coroner:

The Coroners Court
50 Newton Street
BIRMINGHAM
B4 6NE
0121 303 3920
[email protected]
Contents of the records

Coroner inquests file vary enormously in size and content. They may include witness statements, post mortem reports, drawings, photographs and objects presented as evidence. If you wish to view a coroner inquest file, please be prepared for distressing and graphic material which was not intended for public viewing at the time.

Last edited:
Assuming the death certificate comment was in manuscript, and therefore open to a different interpretation, could you perhaps post an image of it here?

Chris

Back