• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

dodwell / lovegrove

greywolf

hunter of ancestry
:):)i'm trying to find out about my great grandparents fredrick lovegrove and mary dodwell im not to sur when they were born but both lived in coventry birmingham and had 3 children alfred ..annie..amy...its been indicated that fredrick and mary were never married ...is it possible to find out when fredrick lovegrove and mary dodwell died and who was given as the spouse? thank you..annie:)
Names I am researching: lovegrove,nelm,dodwell,shepherd,maynard,heenan,pritchard,smith,bellamy,wooldridge

Re: lovegrove/dodwell

hi di this a complicated family... they are listed as being lovegroves in one 1901 census but dodwells in another 1901 census the only dates i have are birth dates fredrick abt 1898 coventry mary 1869 conventry ...both annie brn abt 1899 and amy brn abt 1901 were listed as dodwells and lovegroves ...when the two girls arrived in canada they both give their parents as fredrick lovegrove brn in coventry and mary dodwell of coventry on their marriage certs...i might be able to trace the family if i found out who was listed was the spouse or survivior on the parents death certs then ill know which dodwell and/or dodwell i'm dealing with ...there was a fredrick lovegrove brn in coventry in 1868-69 to thomas and flo lovegrove ....but he is the only fredrick lovegrove i found...annie

hello annie this is prob them in 1901 living in birmingham

frederick dodwell 33 working watch maker b. coventry (working on own account at home)
mary 30 b. coventry
alfred 3 b. coventry
annie 2 b. bham
amy i mth

annie you asked to look for frederick lovegrove but in 1891 he is dodwell. did you say them the wrong way round?

1891 he is in coventry with his mother and father thomas and elizabeth dodwell who all worked with watches. also 6 other children. :)

christening from igi

mary lovegrove 5th feb 1871 coventry

parents joseph lovegrove and sarah

sorry if you have all this already. just trying to find anything about the couple.

hi everyone ... i sure of the names Fredrick Lovegrove and Mary Dodwell ..i was told that they may not have been married ...so if i found out who was listed a surviving spouse on their individual DEATH CERTS ... i could figure out which fredrick lovegrove and mary dodwell they were....FREDRICK was brn in COVENTRY and im MARY was to

without knowing roundabout when they died its very difficult to find death records but it does seem such a coincidence that there is a mary lovegrove and a frederick dodwell born in coventry at right dates and although they might not be married they would have pretended they were by using the mans surname so the 1901 census with correct children it seems to reinforce this. (the thomas lovegrove you mention with father thomas and mother florence is again not lovegrove but dodwell) so i think you are getting mixed up.

hope someone else will have a look what they think.

Hi Annie, I agree with Shera's findings. What reinforces the family is the 1901 census showing your Annie and Amy living in Birmingham with Frederick shown as Dodwell, and it ties up with the 1891 census with Frederick Dodwell with his parents in Coventry and all in the watch making trade.
I will have a look to see if I can find a death for Frederick and or Mary if you can tell me when the girls were sent to Canada. It may be that they left England when their parents died.

hi di
I search Middlemore home children and I have not been able to find Annie yet.... but i do know she was a home child sent to a domestic....So far Amy Is the only child i have found register she is listed as leaving England age 15 in 1916-02-21 on the ship Scandinvian to Nova scotia under the sir name LOVEGROVE ... Now if Annie had left middlemore around the same age then she would have left england about 1913-14 there abouts i did find out that they had a brother Alfred he was born about 1897-98 but i can not find out if he was a home child or if he died ...he may have been sent to war but if he was sent to canada at the age of 15 he would have been sent abt 1912-13 annie

Last edited:

Hi Annie, I have had a look for deaths from 1901 through to 1924 and there doesn't appear to be any record of either of them dying. But I looked on the 1911 census and can't see either of them on there either. They really knew how to hide.:)

I'll keep looking and let you know if I find anything.

HI Aannie, I haven't found a death yet for Fred or Mary but i think their complicated lives have become a bit clearer to me. There were three children living with Frederick Dodwell and Mary Dodwell on the 1901 Census. Amy age 2. Annie 1 month. Alfred age 3, They were living at 18 Harford Street. Birmingham.

There are 3 Births registered under the name of Lovegrove
Alfred March quarter 1898 Solihull ref 6d 669
Annie June quarter 1899 Birmingham ref 6D 113
Amy June quaqrter 1901 Birmingham ref 6d 99

I fell pretty sure they are your three children, and if you apply for one of the certificates it will confirm it. It will be interesting to see what Mary said about the father. She and Fred were living together and as you suspected they didn't marry, but when children are born she couldn't use the name Dodwell, so she was honest and registered them in her own name. Alfred according to the 1901 census was born in Coventry, but he is registered in Solihull for some unknow reason.

Last edited:

Thank-you so much Di ...i was not sure about alfred birth place as i assumed it to be the some as his sisters.this will give me anoher avenue.. every little step forward is a great help in my search annie

Back