• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Do you remember your childhood dreams?.

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
I mean the dreams you dream when asleep. My recurring dream was that my teeth all crumbled and I had to spit them out. There's one to start you off. Jean.

I had a recurring nightmare when I was about 9, of a boy being knocked down by a car outside the school. He rolled to the side of the road afterwards and instantly turned into a skeleton, and I always woke up screaming then. Had it 3 times, exactly the same dream.

Hello GG Jean,

I think this is a fairly common dream. I have it too. When I mentioned it to my dentist the nurse that was on duty that day said that she also has that dream.

i always dreamt there were animals down the bottom of my bed. i used to go to get mom up regularly and she had to strip my bed each time to show me there were no animals down there!! poor old mom, she was very patient.

I had a nightmare when I was about 5-6yrs old. My Dad, brother and I would be walking down a path, but where I tried to step would open up into a big whole, there were narrow paths either side, but when I stepped on them they became another whole. Never did get to the end, would wake up crying.

It seems we all had scary dreams when young. Mine was the ceiling and walls coming down on me, i do remember screaming for Mum, i do'nt get the dream anymore but i suffer from claustrophobia. Talking to older Sister about it, she wondered if it was after effects of being in the baby gas suit during the war. Jackie

Funny we seem to remember the bad dreams first. I used to dream that I was with mom on the top floor of Lewis's and those big stairs were colapsing underneath us. Another was the most horrible dream I have ever had and could not go to sleep for nights after it. My uncle George lived at the bottom of Holte road and suffered kidney failure and consequently died. I overheard my other aunts talking about it in detail about the fluid that came out of him and it was all over the floor. It probably wasn't like that at all and my imagination was playing tricks. Well I woke up in a sweat and panic because in my dream I went to uncles loo and a head was floating at the bottom and these eyes were stairing up at me. It was so realistic. Jean.

What awful dreams. I remember the first time I saw a dead body in someones front room. In the days when bodies were brought home before being buried or cremated. I didn't sleep for nights afterwards. I have never looked at a body since. I think I was afraid to go to sleep.

Maggs that sounds awful. I was sixteen when I saw my uncle Harry and was fine till I touched his forehead and almost passed out. Mom couldn't stop me in time and I turned into a block of ice myself. Didn't have a dream about it think I must have blocked it out of my mind. Jean.

Oh Jean, whatever made you touch the body? We would make terrible undertakers wouldn't we?

i also had nice dreams and still have these even now. i dream i can fly and just take off and go up in the air. when i was young there was often a monster after me but i didnt worry because i could fly off before it got me.

in the last ten years i have dreams where i KNOW i am dreaming and they are great because i can do what i like as i know its a dream. does anyone else have this kind of dream. its brilliant.

Mom & Dad must have saved up to buy me a big teddy bear. He used to sit at the end of the bed, one night I had a nightmare where he was growling loudly at me and rolling his eyes! I haven't been very keen on teddies since, thankfully my son didn't like them much either.
I often have the one about teeth falling out too!
rosie.

i also had nice dreams and still have these even now. i dream i can fly and just take off and go up in the air. when i was young there was often a monster after me but i didnt worry because i could fly off before it got me.

in the last ten years i have dreams where i KNOW i am dreaming and they are great because i can do what i like as i know its a dream. does anyone else have this kind of dream. its brilliant.
Yup, I have them - never want to wake up. I can't recall any childhood dreams other than ones where you're falling downstairs or summat and wake up before you hit the bottom. However, during my recent hospitalisation when I can't recall any of the reality I can recall some terrible illusions I had. One in particular was about Terry Wogan putting a contract out on me because I cut off a live radio show he was doing from a high chair on a beach. Now, what could be more terrifying than that?

Blimey I thought I was odd having bad dreams when I was little until I read this thread. My recurring dream was that I was chased and shot by the German SS. I was shot on a staircases and when I started to fall down the staircase I realised they'd shot me with ink cartridges. Usually that was when I woke up. I can only assume this was something I'd picked up (and interpreted completely wrongly) from my parents discussions. Viv.

I think the ONLY thing I ever dreamed about was German bombers going over the house. The sirens and the vroom vroom of the planes and the house shaking still very vivid in my mind. John Crump OldBrit. Parker. Co USA

I had the same dream for years that I was at a funeral and the building was so vivid, then when my Grandad died in 1972 the funeral was at Lodge Hill and low and behold this was the building in my dream after he was cremated the dream ceased.

I used to dream I could fly. I used to run and jump three times and then fly. I wonder what all our dreams mean.

That is quite scary. Am glad your dream has gone away now?. I had a dream once that I went out with Elvis. Don't know as I couldn't stand to watch or listen to him. Jean.

Back