• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

DO YOU REMEMBER THE 40s?

:angel:
JET = Andrew Faulds
LEMEY = David Kossoff and later by Alfie Bass

Only know 'cause my brother was a loony about the show and had pic's of 'The Crew' all over his bedroom wall with the only other pic's being Hayley Mills.

I hated the haunting tune to the show as it meant my bedtime.

Chris :angel:

Journey into Space was the 50's along with Riders of the Range (or was it Riders of the Purple Sage) When did the cartoon Andy Capp come out 40's or 50's

You are GREAT thats right! I was hopeing to catch you lot out, but I should have known better.
Cromwell I think Andy Capp in the Daily Mirror was 50s as I started work then and I seem to remember the guy's I work with in RELAY SHOP at GEC used to rave over the antics he got up to.
There again, I my be wrong but I AM SURE SOME ONE WILL PUT ME RIGHT!

I knew they had all gone off thread but decided to leave it to see if we got to the 60' and 70's
1948 was the year Fanny Blankers Koen mother of two won four Gold Medals in the Olympics
Remember "Hi Gang" Bebe Daniels ans Ben Lion Richard "Stinker" Murdock, The Brains Trust, Its That Man Again Tommy Handley

BEN LYONE THAT THE ONE I WAS TRYING TO THINK OF'  HE WAS IN HELLS ANGELS THE WWI FLYING EPIC
THANKS CROMWELL

Life with the Lyons - Bebe and Ben and children. Probably the 50's again and I'm off topic. Sorry Cromwell, but we don't all go back as far as Ossie ;)

Hi CROMWELL, you forgot to tell them that the OLYMPICS were in ENGLAND IN 1948 & She did it at Wembley Stadium. If my memory is correct we also staged the winter games I seem to remember them flying in snow for the ski jump which also was at Wembley?

Now I ain't going off thread Aston but in 1923 Littlewoods started the Pools followed by John Moores and do you remember the Horace Bachelor ads on the old wireless we could not afford a crust let alone send money to him for his pools forcasts,but a lot of foolish people did every week inthe 40's over 10 million people were sending money netting £400,000 a week

I never quite understood it Alf Did you send the numbers you wanted or did you send money and they invested it in the teams they thought would win

RADIO LUXEMBOURG! THAT WAS THE ONLY COMMERCIAL RADIO STAION WE COULD GET AT THAT TIME. I SPENT MANY A LONG NIGHT TRYING TO TUNE IN ON THE "RADIO GRAM "(remember them?) I think that is were you hear ed the HORACE BACHELOR ADDS Cromwell

Thanks Alf, what a great web site ihave been looking for information on LONNIE DONEGAN & SKIFFLE as was big fan of that music and the site you gave Cromwell did the trick.
Thanks ASTON

Thanks For that Alf bought a few memories back I wonder who Horace Bachelors really was ? some Smart Spiv Geezer I bet

Sorry lads, it was Brian Reece. Not the one who made a living from losing his trousers :-[

Thats What I meant Grace I thought they was brothers or twins but they aint really

Can anyone remember the name of a radio show on Childrens hour (strictly in the 40s) that had a dog and cat that could talk to one another?

I remember on the radio Valentine Dial (not sure of the spelling) who was The Man in Black - mainly ghost tales if I've got it right. The Goons. Donald Peers - singer. Did the Archers start in the late 40s or was it early 50s. Every morning on the radio was the Radio Doctor, anyone remember him? There was also a service giving urgent messages for people who needed to contact family in cases of serious illness - these were the days before people had phones - let alone mobiles.

Annette Mills, John Mills sister, with Muffin the Mule. 'We want Muffin, Muffin the Mule' Tra la........

I used to rush home from school to listen to a book that being serialised on the radio 'The Forsyth Saga' by John Galsworthy. later it was sooooo popular when they televised it.

Back