• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

District Map

Bob Davis

Bob Davis
As I have stated in another thread or two, I lived on the Erdington side of Birmingham, so I had a fairly good knowledge of that side from the Scott Arms to The Fox & Goose (Pub names only used as I do not know the actual district name, to me Scott Arms was Great Barr/Kingstanding and Fox and Goose was Alum Rock/Washwood Heath, towards Town, Perry Barr, the 5 route to Colmore Row, Aston Cross where my boundaries unless I went by bus/tram from those places to the City. I lived a lonely, sheltered life as a child, so had to spend my school holidays doing something. Catcjing the S73 to the Yenton, the 28 to Streetley Road, the 78 tram to Stockland Green, the 11 to Witton, the 3x to Martineau Street and the 9 to the ration book place near the Hall of Memory. Cost a few child's fares, but I was out of Mother's hair!!! However I never knew where Gosta Green actually was and some of the suburbs on south? side of the City, Hall Green....knew the station and the 37 bus route, but where did it start and finish? Never knew where Weoley Castle was or still is for that matter, although I did take a twenty something bus which went a strange way through town to get there. I knew the bus, trolley bus and tram routes, buses - BCT, West Brom, Walsall and Midland Red (Once ventured to Wolverhampton and caught their Corporation bus (route 12?) to Bridgnorth and came back by train (it actually took me all day). I have a number of maps of the city including somewhere that wonderful pocket size red hardback with all the coloured street maps, but not one that draws boundaries. Can anyone draw these boundaries or point me to a good source so that I can remember why the 12 went to Bartley Green, it is interesting in all my transport books of the City, they all use the old route detail map which was available every year.

Bob Davis

Interesting childhood memories.

The ‘ration book place’ near the Hall of Memory I knew as the ‘food office’ and I only became familiar with the name Baskerville House after I joined the BHF.

When my mum used to visit her friend in Perry Barr we were often given some money and told to get on an Outer Circle bus and ride completely round the city ... it got rid of us for two hours.

oldmohawk

Back