• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

District Infant Poor Asylum, Birmingham

skylark

Proud to be a Brummie !!
Does anyone have any info regarding this asylum? Would there be any documents etc
at the Archives in the library?
All info will be most appreciated,
Margaret.

Hi,
I found a possible relative on the 1851 census..he was a 9 year old pauper...I was just wondering
if his parents needed to sign any papers etc to put him in there ?
Margaret.

I have the same question as Margaret - possible ancestor in 1851 - so thought it might be worth asking again if anyone knows where this place was? The census has it in the St George district, ecclesiastical district of St Stephen.

I imagine there might be a number of reasons why children might be placed here, often temporary situations. If anyone can cast any light, it would be much appreciated.

There were quite a few workhouses based in birmingham. the only mention i can find of an infant poor asylum anywhere on the net is Summer Lane, it says after overcrowding they moved and created an infant poor asylum in Summer Lane

Thanks, Summer Lane fits with the St George/St Stephen description. Does it say when that was?

Thanks, Summer Lane fits with the St George/St Stephen description. Does it say when that was?

It said it moved there 1797, so it had been there a while obviously if you have an entry for 1851... i did find a website on Birmingham Workhouses once, will have to have another look if i can find it.. they had pictures and more indepth info

Thanks! I'll have a look. I don't know for sure if this chap is my ancestor, but it's interesting anyway.

I know this is a bit late but it might save someone else a search.

My great grandfather, James TAYLOR, was told that he was found on a doorstep (we will never know whether he was told the truth about this) and he was brought up in the Asylum for the Infant Poor where the staff gave him the name "James TAYLOR". As far as I can tell, he was admitted to the institution in 1835.

He told my late grandmother that when he was approaching the age of ten years, they asked him what sort job he would like to be trained for and he replied "a tailor". (I don't know how much choice he had in this!). Accordingly he was trained in tailoring and was a self-employed tailor for the rest of his life. (He died in 1901).

I'm afraid that there is very little information available about the institution and none of the minute books or registers have survived. William Hutton's 1836 "History of Birmingham" contains the following brief note:-

"The Asylum for the Infant Poor, established in Summer Lane in 1797, is conducted by a committee of guardians and overseers. The manufacture of pins, straw-plait, lace, &c., is carried on for the purpose of employing the children, whose labour produces a profit to the parish. There is a bath, garden, play-ground, school, and chapel connected with this institution. There are usually from two hundred to two hundred and fifty children in this parish family."

The 1841 Census contains the usual list of staff and inmates - HO107/1141 Folio 66 - but that is about your lot! I have yet to find a sketch of the place and it appears that it closed when the new Birmingham Workhouse opened in 1852.

Thanks everyone who replied. I've found some interesting links. A pity none of the detailed records have survived.

I 'm having some difficulty tracing this branch of my family and wonder if this lad might have been placed in the Infant Poor Asylum temporarily, as I am almost sure his mother at least would have been alive at the time. Just wondering what kind of family circumstance might have made it necessary, if the inmates were not necessarily all orphans. But it may be someone else anyway!

Pheobe have you found his parents on the census living elsewhere? It could be they fell on hard times and were all in seperate Workhouses, or it could be like happened with someone in my Family, the mother died, the dad put the kids in the workhouse and went off and remarried and had more children!

I missed your last post, Claire, so a very late reply!

My ancestor's name was Matthew Davis, and he married in 1871, giving his father's name as John Davis, steel grinder. There are lots of John Davises of course, before we even consider the possibility that it might sometimes have appeared as Davies. The MC doesn't say he's deceased, but one can't assume that he wasn't.

In 1881, there is a Lavinia Davis (78) living with the family. No relationship is given, but it's quite likely she's his mother as they have a small daughter also named Lavinia. She may be his aunt or grandmother, though. I've only found Lavinia senior in 1871, widow with a lodger, but the age (65) doesn't quite tally. No sign of her any other time. Tis a mystery!

I've managed to find an 1841 map showing the Asylum, on the far right, at the end of Summer Lane.

Bham1841NE.jpg

My the girls sure got shafted in schools in those days - I can remember the girls from Handswoth Home who attended St Mary's School were taught exactly the same as the boys and still ended up in service -

does anyone know at what age 'inmates' would have to leave ... would children in the 'asylum for infant poor' (as it was called) have to leave once they reached a certain age, or did they stay on as adults? I have what I believe to be my great-great-great-grandfather William Wiseman (1831-1886) recorded on the 1841 census as a boy of 12 ... this does not tally with all other census records, which all show he would have been two years younger, 10 not 12. I understand, however, that workhouse staff often fabricated the ages of children - making them appear older - in order to legally send them out to work, thus bringing money into the institution. I am unable to trace him any further back, but hope to look at more detailed records when I am next in Birmingham - I see that the library holds workhouse records, so I'm hoping to get some more accurate detail there. I do now that he married a Hannah Forrester in 1853: they later appear together as a family on census records for 1871 and 1886 ... previous to this, on the 1861 census, they are wrongly under the name of 'Wileman'. But no record of him on the 1851 census that I can see - he would be then 20. Any links or info from anyone on here would be much appreciated - thanks in advance!

Cornishbrummie:

The 1841 census is not a very reliable guide to age as the rule about rounding ages seems to have been applied very indiscrimately. My great grandfather was admitted to the Infant Asylum for the Poor shortly after birth in 1835 and my understanding is that he was trained to be a tailor and remained there until the age of 12 years. He was then apoprenticed to a tailor and upon the termination of his apprenticeship set himself up in business as a tailor and remained so until shortly before his death. I'm afraid that no records of this Asylum have survived.

Maurice

That is great thank you. And the 'tailor' thing has got me thinking .... another great-grandfather was a tailor (James Henry Cooper born 1867 in London, date and place of death so far unknown): I 've had real difficulty finding any definite record of him in his earlier years, so maybe the workhouse / asylum for infant poor is the way to go, seeing as this was one of the trades they were trained up for?

The records are all now destroyed? I thought the records were all now held at the library - didn't the Asylum for infant poor become the workhouse and later became Highcroft hosptial ... or have I got this all wrong???

Cornishbrummie:

The Workhouse for which some records do survive is the one that opened in 1852 in a new building. The Asylum for the Infant Poor was demolished in 1852 and no records survive at all.

Maurice

Highly unlikely. As my post #11 explains, my great grandfather simply didn't know who his parents were. I would dearly love to know as on the 1861 census he is shown as being 'partially deaf" at the age of 26. This deafness has been passed down the generations - my grandmother was profoundly deaf for most of her life (and she lived to be 85 years old), my mother (who lived to be 92) was very deaf, so am I, and two of my sons are now beginning to develop deafness in middle age - obviously an inherited genetic problem. So it would be nice to get further back to see where this problem is coming from. Like many Brummies, at least one of one of his parents most likely had rural origins. Alas, I shall never know.

Maurice

Back