• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Disillusioned Postcard Message - WW1

Hi Sylvia, re your thoughts about Richards age in WW1, I did some searching of the records yesterday to try and find Richard, (without success) and it would appear that it wasnt uncommon for men of that age to have been involved.
I have also been looking to see if there is anyway of proving that the postcard Richard is your great uncle...all the information so far seems to match up, but I cannot find the marriage you mentioned between Richard and Mary Ann Birch, have you any idea where that was found please ??

Richards name was mispelt on the marriage records.
Richard Yeates married Mary Ann Birch on Christmas Day 1869,St Peters, Dale end.

Sylvia ,did your mother mention other aunts and uncles?
Elizabeth,Mary ,Kate,Eliza,Richard,John,William,Laura.

Last edited:
If the name of Job Yates, pops up. I've got a photo of him with my Nan's sister, Lou Yates, nee Wyton. Reg.

Lou Yates's son. John Yates, emigrated to New Zealand last year. That john Yates, is on a picture of Milton street in the 1953 Coronation. I think?? Sylvia said she has the original copy of that picture. Reg.

Reg,I think we may be going off topic here but interesting your Nan had a Richard J Yates in 1945.
No Job in the family but she married a Jabez Yates and had a son Jabez along with Hilda,Dora,Irene ,Gladys.Brenda and Richard J.

Last edited:
Alberta, the following are all the children that I know of with father Richard and mother Mary Ann Yates.

Elizabeth 1870 - my auntie Lizzie who I remember well.
Mary Ann - 1875

Catherine Anne - 1877 my grandmother also known as Kate
Eliza - 1879 marrried John Burbidge, died 25th July 1936
RICHARD JOHN - baptised lst February 1880

Continued
Hannah b 17th March 1873
John Joseph - 1882
William H - 1884
Laura M - 1889
Beatrice Sarah born 1886 died 1887
Joseph died aged 0 Sept, /Qtr. 1890
Mary Ann died aged 39 Sept. Qtr. 1890 (probably in childbirth with the above Joseph).

Hannah b. 1873 was adopted(status in 1881) by her Aunt Hannah Birch and is living with her in 1881/1891.
Adoption was not legal until 1927 so it would have been a family arrangement.

Losing track a little.Do the facts add up to the postcards belonging to your family Sylvia?

Alberta, I still can't say from the helpful people on the forum whether it is my g.uncle Richard, as I only have the information I posted which I obtained from census information and parish registers, I don't know anything of his life.

With regard to Hannah Yates I have often wondered whether she was in fact Hannah Birch's child, as Hannah Yates was the second child of Richard and Mary Ann and it has always seemed an odd arrangement to me. I suppose it is something we will never know.

I have an adopted child in my tree in 1901 same situation a child of the family. I have lots of Yates too checking in case there's a connection. I think they are your family Sylvia from what I have found. xx

I will try and locate the Bootsale vendor as I know that he had a reasonable amount of postcards addressed to the yates family of Farm Street. If I am lucky in locating him, there may be other names and clues? Mabz

hi mabz..maybe you should now be known as sherlock:D i have followed this thread with great interest and i do hope you can get to bottom of this little mystery...i wonder where the seller got the cards from for instance..you must follow this though if you can mabz..please keep us informed about anything you may find out....and good luck

lyn..:)

If we could find details of Richard's army service date of enlistment, regiment probably the Royal Artillery, we would know his age and if that shows he was born 1879/80 we could be sure he is in fact my gran's brother.

Hi

Richard John Yates Reg No. 5745 3rd Worc Reg. Address 9 Manchester Street, Bham. Trade - Polisher. Enlisted 2nd Jan 1900 aged 19 born Bham. Militia Rank: Private

Suzanne

Hi

Richard John Yates Reg No. 5745 3rd Worc Reg. Address 9 Manchester Street, Bham. Trade - Polisher. Enlisted 2nd Jan 1900 aged 19 born Bham. Militia Rank: Private

Suzanne

looks about right to me suzanne..this would make richard born about 1880/1...manchester is just off newtown row...

Suzanne, the information is definitely my g.uncle Richard, the family were living at 9 Manchester Street on the 1891 census when he was 11 years old. Ray said yesterday that he thought he could have been a reservist due to his age and the date on the postcard being September 1914. It is getting exciting now, I just hope someone can trace him now that we have his military details and number. Fingers crossed, and thanks for your help Suzanne.

Hi Sylvia

So glad it's your man:) If you would like the actual copies of the records IM me with your email.

Suzanne

Sorry Alberta. On the back of this photo of got, of who I thought was job Yates. Is actually Jab Yates. Presumably short for Jabe.
Reg,I think we may be going off topic here but interesting your Nan had a Richard J Yates in 1945.
No Job in the family but she married a Jabez Yates and had a son Jabez along with Hilda,Dora,Irene ,Gladys.Brenda and Richard J.

Sylvia - IM me with your address and I will forward the postcards to you. I am still trying to trace the vendor as he had a small collection addressed to the Yates family. Mabz

Mayfield thanks again for your kind offer, but I'm still trying to definitely identify my g. uncle Richard John Yates, it is certainly looking very likely, I am
trying to find his full military details, Suzanne found his Attestation Papers in 1900 but unfortunately I couldn't get a clear image to read the full details
and Suzanne doesn't know how to post them in a different format. I'll let you know when I'm sure, but thanks for starting this thread it has been so fascinating trying to unravel all the details.

Sylvia, there are not many other details on the papers apart from the fact that he had resided at 9 Manchester St for the last 12 months
his present or former master...Arab Cycle Coy (Company ?) Potter or Patter St
age 19
occupation Polisher
Single
C of E
5' 3 5/8"
110 lb
Blue eyes
Fair Complexion
Light brown hair
Tattoo of female figure, front left forearm

I will check to see if there is anything else.

Lindyloo thank you so much for posting those details for me, I have just been peering over the images that Suzanne kindly sent me, I was puzzling for ages about the tattoo and finally made it out with the help of a magnifying glass. With the help of members of the Forum have found he worked at the Arab Cycle Co., in Potter Street, and Suzanne and Mikejee helped me locate it which was very near where they lived in Manchester Street. I am building quite a picture of him now, just have to find out about his WW1 service to confirm we have the right man who sent the postcard which Mayfield bought and posted and set off this fascinating quest.

Sylvia
No 9 Manchester St is shown in red on the map below (it seems to contradict the directory, which indicates that it is on the north side of the road, but fits with the 1891 census)
mike

no_9__manchester_st___on_1889A_map.jpg

Thanks Mike for showing the map of Manchester Street, I knew where it was actually, coming from Newtown Row it is or was on the left hand side of the road going into the city centre.

Hello - I don't know if anyone on this message is still active but I have just stumbled across when searching for information on my gt grandfather William Henry Yates who I think is mentioned in one of the posts above and is brother to the Richard you have been discussing and son of Richard Yates and Mary Ann Birch. William Henry was born 15 March 1884 - the other children I have for Richard and Mary Ann are:
Elizabeth c. 1871
Mary Ann c. 1876
Kate c. 1877
Eliza c. 1879
Richard c. 1880
John J c 1882
William Henry 15 Mar 1884
Laura M c. 1889
These have come from the 1881 and 1891 census returns.

Richard's wife Mary Ann died sometime between Laura being born in 1889 and the 1891 census.

I am very interested in finding out more about William Henry as by my dad's account he was a bit of a character - the black sheep maybe? I have his military records with some great descriptions of his tattoos and his misconducts!!

I don't seem to be able to see the attached postcards that are talked about but would love to see a copy if anyone still has them.

Hope to hear from some of you soon.
Trudie

Back