• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Disc clean up

Patty

master brummie
I am having trouble with my disc clean up I think. I go on to it and it see's how much space it can save you
it said 316,114KB total amount of disc space 22,925K, so I press O K then it says are you sure?? press yes so I press yes, then it says cleaning up drive, then it finishes and goes off. I just thought I would try it again about 2mins after to see if there was nothing to get rid of this is what it said

316,283KB of disc space and 23,093K disc space I gain
What am I doing wrong as it dont seem to be clearing it???? :crying2::crying2::crying2:

Hi, First what version of windows are you using, I am only Ok with XP and Vista but 316,283KB is the total amount of space you can recover and the 23,093 is the space Windows will let you remove by default. When you see a box like this,View attachment 47402
you will see not all the boxes are checked if you wish to get the big clean up check all the boxes so it takes all the files out.Just as a safeguard do a System Restore prior to a spring clean.

Thanks, mine looks like that, what box's should I tick to get rid of or should I leave well alone???

Thanks I am useing XP. Mine looks like that pic so should I check the boxes or leave well alone as I still have quite a bit of space left on the computer??

Thanks, mine looks like that, what box's should I tick to get rid of or should I leave well alone???

Just tick all the boxes on the left so their is a green tick in them.

If Microsoft have listed them here they wont be important files so no danger if you delete them all.

Patty,

I use a different program for the clean up.......Its a nice small program and it works great on all windows formats and its called Ccleaner .........formally Cr*pcleaner....does what it says on the tin.;)

You can download from https://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Also I find the uninstall programs feature to be better than the one windows provides.

Ian.

Ps, I have no vested interest in this program or the website its downloaded from.:peace:

I did have that on but the guy that looks after my laptop and gives it a checking over took it off last time he was here saying it was to thourer some times. I am a bit wary of ticking all the boxes like one of the above said. I might post what I haven't got ticked later and see what you think should be ticked Thanks

I have been using CCcleaner for many many years with no problems - so for me it a a big thumbs up.

Same here Bernie & their Defragger and its always served me well and I use Ccleaner everytime Just before I close down for the night done it for years:)

It was recommended by Oisin when I first started I haven't found I've needed to change any programme he's told me about.:)

I tried that freebie earlier today it was certainly faster than Disc Clean, I dont know if it did something wrong but it disabled my antivirus software and some executable files but I practise what I teach and did a System Restore from yesterday,all's well now:):)

Hi Patty.

Do a system restore so you don't loose anything.

Download Free Ccleaner from website early listed.

Do an analysis before you clean and tick boxes you are happy with and clean.

The Defragment to speed you system up.

Download a Free I use Auslogics, and Ashampoo.

If you go onto Computeractive website there are plenty to have a look at look free downloads not 30 trials

All the best Ray

I tried that freebie earlier today it was certainly faster than Disc Clean, I dont know if it did something wrong but it diabled my antivirus software and some executable files but I practise what I teach and did a System Restore from yesterday,all's well now:):)
Did you use the registry cleaner feature? If so maybe that caused the problem because, like the others, I've used the disc cleaner for years without problems.

I think when I first suggested it on here I stated that I hadn't used the reg cleaner bit because I was wary of it. In fact, I wouldn't recommend any reg cleaner although I do occasionally use RegSeeker myself to clear up bits of uninstalled programs because it's got a backup system so everything can be reversed.

Im afraid I broke my own rules and just ran CC as soon as I had installed it without really looking at what items were checked.It certainly has removed something as none of my Microsoft Office will run and system restore has not rectified this and strangely it wont install or repair off the CD.:(:(:(

After a bit of a late night all is back ok now,:):) always helps when you tell the comp its going through the window.I will try CC again later but need to make the best of the weather before the rain arrives.

I've used CCleaner for years and it has never done anything to mess up my computer - no problems with the Registry Cleaner either. There is an option to back up the registry before you start cleaning that, but I've never used it.
One problem with it is that when you clean out the cookies folder, you will lose your automatic log-ins to forums like this one, but there is an option in there to mark cookies that you don't want to be removed. Personally, I let it clean out the lot and then click the Remember button when I log in again.
The software removal tool is excellent - removes lots of files that other removal tools leave behind and also the Start Up menu editing tool is easy to use, to stop you having all those little icons down on the righthand corner of the Tool Bar - they are all applications that are running in the background, using up the resources of your cpu and memory.
I can also speak highly of Auslogic defragger - referred to in an earlier post.

Back