• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Did the Hound of the Baskervilles come from Brum ?

I've loved the Sherlock Holmes stories ever since I can remember. Out of pure interest, Birmingham is featured in The Stockbroker's Clerk, and in fact Holmes and Watson end up in an office in Corporation Street where they complete the downfall of the rotten Beddington; and in The Three Garridebs in which the unfortunate Mr Garrideb is sent on a wild-goose chase to Brum to get him out of the way so Holmes can search his rooms.

Not surprising, as for a while Doyle lived on Lichfield Road, about where the old ATV studios used to be. Or have I said this before?

Big Gee

I've loved the Sherlock Holmes stories ever since I can remember. Out of pure interest, Birmingham is featured in The Stockbroker's Clerk, and in fact Holmes and Watson end up in an office in Corporation Street where they complete the downfall of the rotten Beddington; and in The Three Garridebs in which the unfortunate Mr Garrideb is sent on a wild-goose chase to Brum to get him out of the way so Holmes can search his rooms.

Not surprising, as for a while Doyle lived on Lichfield Road, about where the old ATV studios used to be. Or have I said this before?

Big Gee

You did say the Lichfield Road bit before, Big Gee - can you give more detail about it please?

The address 126B Corporation Street, is referred to in the Sherlock Holmes story The Adventure of the Stockbroker's Clerk as the temporary headquarters of the Franco-Midland Hardware Company. Mr Hall Pycroft, the protagonist, stays at a hotel in New Street (perhaps the Burlington at 126 New St? The offices of the FMHC are five flights up, at the very top of a winding stone staircase at the end of a passageway between two large shops).

Last edited:
In 1890 no 126 was a wholesale chemist, but immediately after it (unnumbered and before no 128) was the Central Weslyan Hall, so maybe that was 126B. Don't know when the story was written (corporation st didn;t reach 126 until the mid 1880s), but the Burlington wasn't there in 1890 . Then it would have to have been the Midland hotel, the Collonade hotel, the Swan, the Hen & chickens , or perhaps the Waterloo Bar (which probably acted also as a hotel). The Waterloo strikes me as most fitting, overshadowed by Christchurch with an ominous atmosphere at night
Mike.

The story was first published in Strand Magazine in March 1893. The Weslyan Hall is interesting as the address. I wonder though if the details of the location ie at the end of a passageway (arcade?) between two shops and on many floors were borrowed from the Hotel which to me suggested the Burlington/Midland. I do like the thought of the ominous Waterloo too!

Back