• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Diaries and Notebooks

Peter Walker

gone but not forgotten
KEEP A RECORD - that’s my advice.
I think it was at school that I was encouraged to start a diary, although long before that my Nanny Walker, born Diana Clifford Allen in 1884, started a diary, and she kept most of her diaries from 1932 (the year before I was born) until she died in 1975. I inherited them as next of kin. Although I wouldn't like to show them to everyone, they are a very helpful check on exact dates of various things I vaguely remember, as well confirming my suspicions of some of her prejudices. They have been of priceless value to me in the last few years, while I look through the events of my childhood.
Nanny Walker gave me my first diary as a Christmas present in 1942, when I was 9½, without pressurising me to keep it, as I remember. But I did so conscientiously, although I was always a bit worried about who might look at it, so I soon started to use a sort of code. (Samuel Pepys did the same thing 280 years previously, but he had more reason!). The habit was formed, and I continued until after I moved to London in 1959.
Meanwhile, I also kept notebooks, as we had to for school subjects, But I often used school stationery. In 1946 I started on a “Light Railway Handbook”, based on some booklets produced by amateurs for amateurs even during WW2, but with cuttings pasted in. By 1949, when I was in the Upper Sixth doing the equivalent of A-Levels, I started a notebook on Birmingham trams, always my consuming passion. From 1950 I was a student at the School of Architecture in Margaret Street, where we were encouraged to keep a personal record, as an essential business tool. From then onwards, the notebooks were more important than diaries. After I started work in 1955 I decided to scrap my oldest diaries, from when I was a measly little brat, and only kept the later ones, although for 1950 and 51 I had done a sort of spreadsheet version, which I still have, although some of the pencil notes are no longer legible.
After I had moved to London, the notebooks predominated over the diary. There were the work books, and others, particularly for my tramway activities, particularly historical research. I only kept a pocket diary if someone had given me one. Then in 1985 I bought an Amstrad PCW computer, and since then have been on disk, although I have lost more, and haven’t yet got to getting my old Amstrad disks converted.
It's amazing how much history is locked up in these secret places, and I think it is worth putting it where other people can see it, if they want to.
Peter

Peter as you know we are all ways interested in any type of History so if you want to have set down for other people to browse through it you only have to send it to us
how is the tram story going ?

John
I have sent you an email by the Aston website which takes attachments, unlike this site, brilliant as it is in other respects.
Peter

Jenny, thank you for your advice. Just looked at Brian Williams' site, which shows the work of a very organised mind at an early age. My diaries were never as detailed as that. I think it is wonderful to re-visit the places of our youth, especially as seen through other people's eyes.
Thanks again.
Peter

Back