• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Deykin Avenue

Does anyone remember Johnny Norton, he lived in Deykin Avenue around the 1940's/50's ?

my name is dennis hillier i went to deykin avenue school in the 50s does anyone remember me

My granparents lived at 63 deykin av where my dad and is brothers were born known as houghton family
robb128

I think i remember someone called johnny houghton who played in the same football team as me in Deykin Avenue, any relation?

hi rob

others i remember in the team were brian gould,brian farndon,roy beard,david gill,barry stonebridge,can not remember any others. these i have mentioned would you know if they are still around.

from dennis

Hello Rob

This is Dennis again, i was just wondering if john was on facebook?

Dennis

My late Dad went to Deykin Ave School probably 1930 to 1938.....
The family lived at 130 Wyreley Rd......Sam/Beatrice.. Len, Vic, Charlie, Jean and Colin Pendry.
Grandad Sam belonged to the Barn for most of his life.

I lived in Deykin Avenue from 1948 to 1974 at no. 92. My granparents - William and Emily Short lived at no.90, my great aunt and my greatgrand mother at no. 60. My Aunt and Uncle (The Townsends) lived at I think no. 87.
My great uncle Lionel - who worked for Atkinsons Brewery - lived in Cheshire Road with great Aunt Winn.
There was a grocers shop at about no. 80 owned by Mr and Mrs Fallows. Near the corner of Deykin and Cheshire was another small grocers owned by Mrs Townsend - related to my Aunt and Uncle. The last house on the corner was a small cafe. Further down, almost opposite the school was a builders yard in a space between the houses that had been bombed. There was a small Outdoor about halfway down Deykin selling Ansells on draught (take a jug with you!)
The post office was owned by the Wragges who we thought very posh because they had a Siamese cat. My Mother -Elsie Short worked there for many years with one of the Sutton girls and a Mrs Bridgewater. My mother was working in the PO when the explosion at IMI (1972 ?) blew the door off its hinges Next to the PO in Tame Road was an ironmongers owned by Mr. Tallis (later sold to a Mr.Jones), then the greengrocers - Mr and Mrs Goody, then the butchers and next to them was Harold Weaver's barbershop.

the "sutton" girl working at the post office with mr wragge was my sister pat sutton. we lived in brookvale road. my first home after marriage was the house above and attached to the post office which i rented from mr wragge for 1 year till we saved enough for a deposit to buy a house.

Hi Christopher,

My wife's grandmother lived next door to you at 94. Her name was Edith Macey and would be easily remembered by the fact that she was totally blind. She was an amazing woman living the last few years of her life on her own, completely independent. She could tell if someone had rehung washed drapes 'inside out' by feeling the hem along the bottom. She cooked her own meals and kept everything in the house spotless and, more important, in it's proper place. Knowing where everything was allowed her to navigate through the house as well as any sighted person. I remember visiting her once on Deykin and she answered the door with all her hair covering her face as she had just washed it and combed it out. She led us into the back living room without moving her hair from her eyes which I found both amusing and amazing. She lived on well into her 80's

Shera,
I hope you were not offended, I just could not remember your sister's first name. My Mother always thought the world of her. Is she still with us ?. Is your brother Brian still around, I think he was one year ahead of me at Yew Tree Junior.
Thanks for your reply.
Christopher

of course im not offended christopher, im amazed you can remember her surname. yes i think your mom and pat got on really well. pat is very much with us - she has 3 grown up sons and 5 grandchildren now. brian is fine too and lives in tamworth with his wife and family.

when i see pat i shall have to tell her about your post. all the best, shera (chris nee sutton)

Dave G,
You made me cry. Our family loved Mrs Macey. My Mother and her talked over the fence every day and she was amazed how she could hang out her washing and cook. My Mother tried to walk around our house with her eyes closed to try and understand how that remarkable lady did it.
I also remember their son Dennis who I recall owned the first car ever seen parked in Deykin Avenue.

Shera,
Thanks for that. Tell Brian that there is a photo on Friends Reunited on the Yew Tree site 1957/58 he may like to see. I think it's him. Let me know.
Christopher

Christopher and Chris doe you remember a Susan Loynes or Lynes from Brierley road. She went to Yew Tree school and would be 63 approx?. Christopher do you remember Eric Sutton the good looking one? . Jean.

Christopher and Chris doe you remember a Susan Loynes or Lynes from Brierley road. She went to Yew Tree school and would be 63 approx?. Christopher do you remember Eric Sutton the good looking one? . Jean.

i dont remember her jean, the name doesnt ring a bell with me. erics fine as well, married and living in streetly. he was the oldest followed by pat, brian, myself, peter, carole and cathy sutton

hi rob
dennis here sorry took long to answer you i am only learning on the computer. Did you remember any of the other players in the team? These are the ones i remember, Brian Gould, Brian Farndon, Roy Beard, Barry Stoebridge,David Gill, And John Lewis.
Dennis

GG Jean I'm sorry I do not recall the names you mention, but I think Brian Sutton was a year ahead of me at Yew Tree.
The families I recall in Deykin during the 50's and 60's were 2 Wilson families, but not related. One family had a son Ronnie and daughter Pat. The other had a son Roger.
The Swinglers who had a son John, whose father I think lost a leg in a traffic accident on Witton Island.
The Ellison family with 2 sons Martin and Stephen.
Mrs Lacey and her daughter Shiela.
The Hobbs with 2 sons, Geoff was one.
The Thomas family with daughter Kay.

Just around the corner in Cheshire Road was Mr. and Mrs Walsh and daughter Lorna
The Hickman family with I think 2 daughters and 2 sons one called Jimmy

Chris I remember a Jean Hickman from your area. Pete said he remembers the Swinglers but I am afraid I don't. Have put my thinking cap on now. Oh yes the Floods lived down that way. I think one was Michael?. Jean.

GG Jean,
I don't remember the Floods. What I do remember are THE FLOODS in around 1954 I think. We had just returned from the Boy Scout Jamboree in Sutton Park. As we got off the train at Aston Station it started to thunder and by the time we reached Deykin (the other end of Electric Ave), the heavens opened. During the night the Tame burst its banks. As you probably know The Tame back them was a cocktail of lethal chemicals mixed with the water. I recall sitting on our dining table and watching the water swirling around my sister's high chair - with her in it ! Most of the even side of the Avenue was affected together with the riverside factories.
Do you recall The Bannisters with a son called Trevor and Roger Mayfield who lived in Cheshire Road ?

Chris we were only talking about the flood the other day and how us kids were almost swimming in it under the bridge at Witton. To think what was coming up from the drains but you don't when you omeare a kid. Was I in deep trouble [again] when I got home. Jean.

Hi.

I heard you were coming I left in 1965 to join CEGB Hams Hall PS, they must have a pay rise when Parsons took over I never got that much.

I served a lot of apprentership I LRPD, went into Army to do my national service and came back to work in Turbo Shop under Wal Colley.

Ray

Hi

Super pictures I remember get ready for delivery many large loads, Wynns transport or Pickfords use to do most of them.

Wynns developed a large low loader with a hover skirt on it to evenly distribute weigh out of turbo shop For Kincardine, Didcot, Kingsnorth PS inner Stators they were over 200 tnnes.

Problem being ever road out of Turbo Shop had to cross a bridge across the river Tame, the time they used it the fractured the gas main under pavement out side the Cafe opposite they used to make lovely Bacon & Egg sandwich's at the week end.

Happy Days Ray

Chris Short, I pretty sure the Scout Jamboree held in Sutton Park was in 1957. I used to work at Wolseley Engineering in Electric Avenue, and my sister still lives in Wyrley Road, so I know that area well, and I have see the Tame flood on several occasions. I remember one of my nephews was walking alongside the Tame wearing new slip-on shoes, he kicked a ball and lost one of his shoes in the high running river - my sister was not pleased to say the least.

Sylviasayers,

I think you are right about the Jamboree, thank you for the correction. We were flooded out twice and I have mixed the 1957 event with the earlier one.

Compliments

First time on this site, was introduced by my cousin Robert. My grandparents Walter and Sarah Houghton lived at 63 Deykin Avenue and my dad ,also Walter, was born there. When he married he moved to Nelson Road Aston which is where I was born. Grandad was a plumber and so was my dad. He set up business with his two brothers, Reg and Arthur and ran it from Deykin Avenue. When Grandad died in 1944 Gran carried on living there. I remember the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth and entered the Fancy Dress Competition in DeykinAvenue. I went as a crinoline lady - all red, white and blue. Dad made a hooped skirt for me from copper wire and mom covered it in crepe paper. My muff was a macoroni box covered on crepe paper. I did win a prize!!!! Gran was a cleaner at the GEC in Electric Avenue and was given a gold watch for 21 years service. She gave this to me for my 21st birthday and I still treasure it. My dad won one of the first scholarship places to King Edwards Grammar School Aston and his grandmother, who owned thr Boars Head Pub in Stechford, financed his uniform and books. I can remember going to Grans every Sunday afternoon and the 'winkle man' coming around with his cart. Ii would be sent out with a jug to buy some winkles for Gran to eat. I was then allowed to use a pin and pull them out of their shells for her, I never fancied them myself!!!! Dad bought 63 and we sold it in about 1976. I now live in Cornwall near Padstow with my husband Michael, we moved here in 1985.

Last edited:
The Swinglers lived next door to my Gran (63 Deykin Avenue) John joined the AA as a patrolman. next door to them were the Longs, had daughter Carol who I used to visit way back in the 1950's

Patricia my mom won one of the first free scholarships to King Edwards Handsworth but my nan couldn't afford the uniform and the head of Birchfield road school had a right go at my nan for wasting peoples time. No compassion there or a well done. What lovely memories you have and I too remember the pin and the penny winks. The name Carol Long rings a bell. How old would she be?. TTFN. Jean.

Back