• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Departures from Euston on Sunday's 195o's

pistonvalve

master brummie
Has any body out there got a copy of Bradshaw's. I would like to know the the title of the two expresses that left Euston after the Royal Scot within 15 Minuit's of each other - One to Manchester the other to Liverpool. We used to see them on Sundays on the Stetchford - Aston line between 12.30 and 1pm when there was a diversion off the WCML.

I think they were the Mancunian and the Red Rose - but I am not so sure now.

Done a bit of digging and come up with the following Euston departures after the 'Royal Scot' at 10.00am.

10.07 Glasgow Central
10.20 Perth
10.30 Liverpool
10.40 Carlisle

The Liverpool working could be the down 'Red Rose' or 'Merseyside' or a non named express of course.

Maybe not the answer but at least its a start.

Thanks Neville, that's very interesting- I monitored most of the Sunday diversions between 1952 and 1958 and the down expresses after the 'Royal Scot' were always the same destination and roughly the same time at Ward End Park:- Manchester 12.45, Liverpool 1pm. The question is what happened to the others since (I assume) the WCML was blocked in the down direction between Rugby and Stafford. Was there another diversionary route for these down workings?

Regards.

I stumbled upon the Sunday diversions by accident one morning at Marston Green, and i remember most of the named expresses being up workings as well.

The only notable down named express i ever remember seeing was the 'Royal Scot'.

My first ever Duchess ' Duchess of Abercorn' in ex works condition, what an awesome sight it was complete with headboard, carriage destination boards and the tartan
board on the last coach, never forgotten it.

Thanks Neville, that's very interesting- I monitored most of the Sunday diversions between 1952 and 1958 and the down expresses after the 'Royal Scot' were always the same destination and roughly the same time at Ward End Park:- Manchester 12.45, Liverpool 1pm. The question is what happened to the others since (I assume) the WCML was blocked in the down direction between Rugby and Stafford. Was there another diversionary route for these down workings?

Regards.

I used to live by the Capitol Cinema on Alum Rock Road and remember on Sunday lunchtimes in the 1950's (as a boy, I might add) dashing up to the bridge by the cinema to see these trains go past. They were always "big name" locos. I seem to remember they were usually Duchesses but I'm sure that on at least one occasion the Coronation Scot pulled one, which was a great thrill.

Hi dav, I used to live in Highfield Road (1950's) right by where the line went under the road and did my Sunday spotting by the driveway at the back of the houses in Glen Park Road. I can still visit the spot via google earth, happy days indeed.

Back