• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Dennis Road County Primary School

oldMohawk

gone but not forgotten
I noticed this photo of Dennis Rd School Balsall Heath in a another thread and a linked photo is shown below.
It looks like a science lesson, I tried to read the blackboard but can't. Look at those collars which the boys are wearing.
dennisroadschool.jpg

Carolina, Do you know if the building on sladefield road was part of the primary school or a secondary school? I am researching the history of the nursery school that is now in its place

My husband says the building was the old metalwork room and art room from Sladefield Road Secondary Modern.

My school was Lozells.Remember a photo taken when I was 10.? Not sure if it was to do with an anniversary at the Methodist church.iI was born 1951. But all my sisters went there.

hi linda and welcome...did you go to lozells girls or just the infants and juniors..

lyn

hi linda and welcome...did you go to lozells girls or just the infants and juniors..

lyn
No I went to Harry Lucas after I left Lozells.My sisters Janet and Irene went there but they would have left before you went there.Glad I have found this site.

No I went to Harry Lucas after I left Lozells.My sisters Janet and Irene went there but they would have left before you went there.Glad I have found this site.

ok linda....there should be photos on the forum of lozells infants and juniors and lozells girls school..

lyn

hello Aston lad just wanted to ask do you have any pics of 1966 on wards at Burlington st school? an my family also lived on Clarendon st my mom worked at clarendon pub on corner, thank you (but we lived at bottom) the back to back

Hi Maz.........I am not sure but I will have a look for you, I left Burlington Street in 1964 to go to Upper Thomas Street, ....I was the local paperboy from 1966 to 1968 and the back to backs in the cul-de-sac were part of my round....

Hi Maz.........I am not sure but I will have a look for you, I left Burlington Street in 1964 to go to Upper Thomas Street, ....I was the local paperboy from 1966 to 1968 and the back to backs in the cul-de-sac were part of my round....
Thank You Aston Lad, and you may have delivered our papers, we lived on the front 112 right by the wall and the wood yard was there on Philips st, my brothers Steven and Raymond Scattergood went to Upper Thomas Street when you did. My parents were Betty an Reg Scattergood,

Hi All,

I went to Somerville Road School from 1932 to 1938 and then Waverley Grammar School from 1938 to 1942. I cannot remember ever having a school photograph or being on one. I do not know why but perhaps my parents could not afford to buy the photographs. I doubt if any were taken at Waverley during the war years as film would be scarce.

If anyone has a photgraph taken at either of the above schools during the periods stated I would love to see them
Old Boy

Hi All,

Thankyou Carolina. I cannot emember any of the classrooms in Somerville Road having pictures onthe wall like that. It looks like a church school if anything. As you say the Waverley photo is before my time. I wonder what they were all up to?

Chris Beresford (Old Boy)

Hi Caroline,

In Posts 139 and 140 you posted photos taken at Somerville Road and Waverley Schools. Were you a pupil at either or both of them? Just wondering.

Old Boy

A photo of some Dennis Road girls acting in 1921. I would hazard a guess the theme is "Little Women". And some info from the History online site:

DENNIS ROAD COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, Balsall Heath.(27) Dennis Rd. Bd. Sch. opened 1896 by Birm. Sch. Bd.(21) Accom. 660 M, 360 I.(1) Enlarged 1906, laundry centre provided 1911. Reorganized 1939 for SB, JI. SB dept. became a separate sch. 1945 (see next sch.). Accom. provided for some classes in Ladypool Rd. Congregational Church 1947, in Moseley Rd. Congregational Church 1950, and in former Ladypool Rd. C. of E. Sch. 1952. (21) Accom. 1961: 11 classrooms, hall.(28)

Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    74.2 KB · Views: 17
Bob,
I didn't realise Ian Lavender went to Dennis Road, when was that ?.

Sorry, but I've only just read this post. Ian Lavender did NOT go to this school ! He was born in Northfield and attended a primary school there before passing his 11+ and going to Bournville Boys Technical School in 1957. He gained 10 'O' levels and 3 'A' levels before going, I believe, to Bristol Old Vic to train as an actor.
I was in the same class as him from 1957 to 1962 when I left, and he stayed on for the 6th form. I sometimes sat next to him for several of the different lessons. He's been to a few of the reunions we've had.
It makes me wonder if those other names quoted as going to Dennis Rd, actually went there !

An art class at Dennis Road School in the early 1900s. A mixed class of wide ranging ages. Viv.

image.jpeg

Hi Viv

They all look at lot posher and smarter than they did when I was there, oddly enough I can see all my old classrooms on that photo all four of them

Ahhhh that’s a lovely pic, still looking for anyone who knew Robert Morris who attended from 1958-1961 if anyone remembers him?

Back