• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Deakin

berniew

master brummie
I am trying to find out if a local legend is true , that the roads off Deakins Road , formerly Deakins Lane are named after the landowners daughters the roads are Gladys , Flora , Geraldine and Kathleen . I have information off another thread , originally posted by Royston , that names two landowners who had farms either end of Deakins Road both named Deakin .

I have touched on the DEAKIN family history as part of my family tree,
therefore my knowledge is minimal.
There is some confussion as at least three farms in the area where run by DEAKINs.

DEAKINS farm on the Coventry road Yardley was run by Alfred and Charlotte DEAKIN from 1870. Who farmed it before is yet to be discovered.

Fast Pitts farm, Yardley was also known as DEAKINS Lane farm run by the Deakin family prior to 1841 and beyond 1901.

Wash Lane farm Yardley was run by a John DEAKIN early 1800 to 1840's.
(relationship not confrimed)

Deakins Road, Yardley is said to be named after the DEAKINS farm but as this starts from the Coventry road roughly where DEAKINS farm was and ends at Fast Pitts lane where DEAKINS lane farm was either could apply.

When researching the Yardley area you should be aware that it was part of Worcestershire not Warwickshire or Birmingham up until the early 1900's

Joseph and Rachel DEAKIN had twelve children, two boys and one girl carried on farming, three boys became butchers and two girls married butchers.

Happy Hunting Regards R0Y

Hi berniew
Deakins road. In Erdington is named after a prominent. Member of the Erdington
Urban district council,
The local government authority,until the district became part of the Birmingham in 1911.
Deykin road, witton,formed in 1904. May be a mid spelling of James deakin,
One of the main. Owners. Of land in witton,
Deakins road hay mills and Yardley recalls deakins farm that was near to hobb moor ford of the river Cole on the Yardley side
Best wishes astonian,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi berniew
Glad to be of assistance to you incidently I have just come back to my thread and notice the spelling I done for erdington
Went wrong on my note book I hope you noticed it came. Out wrong and it was meant to read erdington
Alan

In February of 1906 my Great Grandmother Mary Ann Waite was a witness in a Attempted Murder and Suicide in Deakins road, Yardley. The newspaper article stated that Robert John Bainbridge of 45 Deakins Road, had attempted to muder his wife by stabbing her with a kitchen knife. She had escaped and was found in the road by my Great Grandmother. Robert Bainbridge slashed his throat with a razor killing himself. Mrs Bainbridge spent some time in hospital but survived. All these streets have so many tales to tell,

Back