• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Days of Delight

sylviasayers

master brummie
I went to the Birmingham Reference Library this week and looked at the log book of my dad's old school period 1905 - 1915, it must have been pretty grim in those days, reference was made to the fires being lit late and no coal and the temperatures as low as 34 - 42 degrees, nothing politically correct about the children's work and behaviour, but one thing that struck me was that once a year entries were made about Days of Delight - outings to such places as Calthorpe Park, Cadbury's (I doubt this was a tour of the works) more the facilities at Bournville, Sutton Park etc.,
I thought this a lovely expression and those days must have been
delightful for the children and such a change from the hard lives they had.
There were also quite a few mentions of lectures from The Band of Hope
warning the children of the dangers of drink and what it could do to their brains.

Back