• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Davis Caroline Baptism look up please

senoraruz

master brummie
William Davis & his wife Sarah had their daughter Caroline bapt 2.3.1818 at St Martin.
Am hoping that there may be some clue to father´s occupation on the original entry, because I think it may be William Davis who was a soldier with the 40th foot & brother of my 3xg grandfather John Sanders Davis who was with the same regiment.
Both men returned to B´ham & set up gunmaking businesses.
In 1838 Caroline married her father´s apprentice Philip Webley who was a founder of Webly & Scott, gunmakers.
William Davis died in 1831 & Philip Webley bought his business from William´s widow Sarah in 1845.
William & Sarah married in 1817, but unfortunately there are two William Davis´s married to Sarah´s in that year, so have no Idea which is mine & don´t expect there would be any further info on the marriage entry anyway.
William Davis & Sarah 18.2.1816 St Phillip
William Davis /Sarah 3.6.1816 Aston Juxta Birmingham.
Please can anyone help???

Re: Baptism look up please

Found the baptism for Caroline. She was born on 6 Dec 1817. Parents living in Moat Row. Father's occupation looks like Bullet Mould maker

I don't have access to Aston Juxta or St Phillips, but if it still outstanding next time I go to the library, I'll have a look

I've been to the library this afternoon and found both the marriages:

William Davis and Sarah Haywood married 18 Feb 1816 at St Phillips. Both "of this parish" and both signed the register with their name. Banns
Witnesses were Ann Duffield (her mark), John Duffield (his mark) and Michael Broome. I think that it's possible that Micael Broome was a church official of some sort as he turned up as a witness in another St Phillips marriage that I was looking at in 1826. Either that, or it's a very strange coincidence (and I don't believe in those in F/H)

William Davis married Sarah Bull married 3 June 1816 at Aston Juxta (St Peter & St Paul). Both "of this parish". Neither signed their name both marked with a X. Banns
Witnesses were William Moore (X) and Charlotte Palmer (X)

So, the thing that would differentiate the couples would be if you can find a death for any of them after 1837 would be whether the surviving spouse signed the death cert with a X or not. Or if they were still having children in 1837, the signature on a birth cert would also do.

Hope that helps.....

Thanks for that Leslam.
I´m sure youre right about Michael Broome as a witness. have come across him several times before.
My William died in 1833 although his wife outlived him by about ten years, but can´t identify her on the census.
Perhaps if I get a look at Caroline´s marriage cert it might give me a clue.
Your help is much appreciated.
Marion

Back