• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Davis Annie

golfy

proper brummie kid
I am trying to trace my grandmother's family. My grandmother was Annie Davis born c 1894 Harborne, Birmingham. Annie went out to Canada and married George Mitchell out there but they came back for WW1 and lived at Barford Street and then Farren Road. I cannot trace Annie's family at all - do not know her parents or brothers or sisters names.:( Does anyone know her? Any help greatly appreciated.

Re: Annie Davis

I have found in 1901 census

William H Davis - 33 Portmerion maker
Anne J - 35
Annie - 7

Living at 24 Hugh Rd, St Oswalds, Aston, B'ham

Is this the right family? there were no other chidren listed

Hi Golfy,

I found 2 immigrations to Canada

1. July 1913 - Owen Davis 44 engine erector, Annie Davis 18 domestic, going to Toronto.

2. Annie Davis a home child born abt 1895 18 yrs. again 1913

No luck on marriage to George Mitchell

Found 2 births in Birmingham
Jul-Sept 6d 110 1894
Oct-Dec 6d 124 1894
You could contact the Birmingham registry- geneologist request he check to see which one had a Harborne address

What information do you have on the relative in the USA? I can look there as there maybe living relatives.
HIlary

Hi - thanks for your reply and help - I really appreciate it. My relatives in USA are my dad's sister, Doris (dob c1918) she married a GI in 1944 and went to USA in 1946. Her married name is Doris Pichette and I believe her husband's name may be Jean G L Pichette. She has a daughter named Louise, (she was born in Birmingham in 1945). There may be other siblings, the last time I had contact was in 1950s when she visited Birmingham with Louise. I believe she sailed from Southampton to New York but don't have any info on where she resided in USA.

I am fairly new to genealogy research and I really appreciate the help that other people have given me - its great, I really am hooked! I would like to check the two births in Birmingham for Annie Davis that you mention but not sure how to contact the Birmingham registry-genealogist to check - any advice - once again much appreciated.

Golfy
Doris Ellen (aged 27) and Louise Bertilda Pichette (aged 10 months) travelled from southampton to new york on the Santa Paula, arriving 11 march 1946.Louisa is described as a US citizen and the application no for admission to US for both was
w-10496.
mike

Hi Golfy,

I had to contact the Birmingham Registry myself recently, so you can either phone

John Yates - geneologist # 0121 675 2909

or email - [email protected]

Good Luck

Hi Golfy,

Good News:D

I have found living relatives for you in the USA.

Doris is still alive and doing well.

Jean Gaston Louis Pichette - born Sept. 16 1907, New Hampshire, USA - died Dec 24 1970

Louise is also still alive

If you would like to IM me with your email address I will give it to the contact in the USA

Cheers
Hilary

Last edited:

Hi Topsy - thanks for your reply, amazed at how quickly u found my relatives and more amazed that Aunty Doris is alive and well!! Don't wish to make public my e-mail add. is there a way to give it to you privately?

Hi Golfy

You can use the email thread button at the bottom to send it to me OK and I'll pass it along.
Let us know how you make out and if you find out more about Annie.

Hilary

Hi Mike
I am just reading this thread and am absolutely amazed how you find out this information. How on earth do you do it. You are so clever.
WendyP

Hi wendyp

We were lucky, it depends on the amount of information that is posted in the first place, the more the better.
I was only able to find the family in the USA only because they were also searching for information on Jean Pichette who is in golfy's tree.
Hilary

Hi - thanks for your reply and help - I really appreciate it. My relatives in USA are my dad's sister, Doris (dob c1918) she married a GI in 1944 and went to USA in 1946. Her married name is Doris Pichette and I believe her husband's name may be Jean G L Pichette. She has a daughter named Louise, (she was born in Birmingham in 1945). There may be other siblings, the last time I had contact was in 1950s when she visited Birmingham with Louise. I believe she sailed from Southampton to New York but don't have any info on where she resided in USA.

I am fairly new to genealogy research and I really appreciate the help that other people have given me - its great, I really am hooked! I would like to check the two births in Birmingham for Annie Davis that you mention but not sure how to contact the Birmingham registry-genealogist to check - any advice - once again much appreciated.

Golfy,
Hi,
I am replying about your search for your relatives in the US. My husband Louis is Doris Pichettes son. I just emailed Hillary another email so I sure she will post or forward it to you. We are really excited to hear from you and my husband would love to know how you are related. He remember Doris had brother George and I think Sammy. I think he said he had met Sammy but not George. Doris is in a Nursing home and not well so as much as I would like to ask her some questions I don't think she will tell me anything new. As I mentioned in the email we just found out that Anita who we thought for years was a aunt turned out to be Doris daughter who she left in England to be raised by her mother Annie. We do still see Anita and her family. Do you know Anita ? I have many questions but will wait to hear from you. Please fill us in on any info you are willing to share. I would love to add you and family to my family tree. I have been working on the familys genealogy for many years but don't seem to get to far with Doris family. I presently work on Louis mother and fathers family trees as well as my mother and fathers trees and have found interesting information along the way including my great grandfather on my mothers side who was murdered by his inlaws. Genealoy- this sure is interesting stuff :) Anxiously waiting to hear from you and so glad you found us.
Nancy and Louis Pichette

Hi - it was good to hear from you. Doris is my dad's (George Mitchell) elder sister. My father died in 1995. My father lost touch with his family in the 1950s but through my researching I have now found Aunt Doris' sister, Dorothy, and have been in touch with her, she has recently sent me a photo of Uncle Sam at JFK with Doris and some of her family. I remember seeing Louise when Aunt Doris visited Birmingham, I think I would have been about 11/12 yrs and was painfully shy and remember Louise saying "is that kid not going to talk to me"!!

I have quite a lot of information about Grandad Mitchell's background and family, which may be of interest to you. I have been able to trace his ancestors back to 1750. Would you like me to give you all the details?

I would love to hear about Aunt Doris' family and look forward to hearing from you again.

Lesley

Hi - it was good to hear from you. Doris is my dad's (George Mitchell) elder sister. My father died in 1995. My father lost touch with his family in the 1950s but through my researching I have now found Aunt Doris' sister, Dorothy, and have been in touch with her, she has recently sent me a photo of Uncle Sam at JFK with Doris and some of her family. I remember seeing Louise when Aunt Doris visited Birmingham, I think I would have been about 11/12 yrs and was painfully shy and remember Louise saying "is that kid not going to talk to me"!!

I have quite a lot of information about Grandad Mitchell's background and family, which may be of interest to you. I have been able to trace his ancestors back to 1750. Would you like me to give you all the details?

I would love to hear about Aunt Doris' family and look forward to hearing from you again.

Lesley

Lesley,
Great to hear from you! and yes I would love all the details. I have a membership on Ancestry and later if I get your email I will send you a invitation. I have photos there and also on my website. So Dorothy is still alive? That's great. Would love the information on George Mitchell and even your father . When it comes to Doris family the branch on the tree has been pretty bare. She did give me names of siblings once but I lost a computer to a crash and never recovered the data. Now I make sure I have it in several places just in case :)
Nancy

Back