• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Davis alice

overton

Brummie babby
Hello,

Once again I hope that I am posting in the correct place, as I cannot think of anothe forum to put this request.
I have received all the paperwork from the National Archives. About the murder of my Gt Granmother, by her husband Frederick Davis who shot her whilst he was drunk. this happened in 1890.
His brother who had moved from Aston to live in London, wrote a letter to the then home secretary, asking for clemency because he thought his brother was suffering tempory insanity, due partly to the downfall of his daughter Alice Davis, which the details he did not go into as it was well known in Birmingham already.
So this now throws up another story to find out about. Any help will be greatly appreciated, as I hav'nt a clue where to start looking with this one.

Can anyone piont me in right direction to find out exactly what happened to Alice, in 1891 she was a boarder in a house in Aston and later went on to marry.
Frederick was hanged in Winson Green Prison on the 26.8.1890. for his crime.
Any help will be most appreciated.
Many thanks.
Patricia

Last edited by a moderator:
alice davis

My great, great, grandmother was murdered by her husband Frederick Davis in 1890.They lived in Aston [in nr.2 13 court].He was hung in Winson Green the same year.Does anyone have any info?Graham.

Would you by any chance know what Frederick's mothers name was? I have several Davis' in my tree, including a 'Maria Davis'. They originated from the same area as yours, and perhaps are related.

Reply back, and maybe we can help each other out... :)

Frederick Davis was 37 when he was executed.

Frederick Davis married Mary Ann Smith in 1872 Aston,she was born in Launton Oxfordshire
Dwelling: No 2 13 Court(this is Clifton Street,have checked the neighbours on disc)
Census Place: Aston, Warwick, England
Source: FHL Film 1341727 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 3043 Folio 81 Page 10
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Fredk DAVIS M 27 M B'Ham, Warwick, England
Rel: Head
Occ: Gun Maker
Marjar DAVIS M 25 F Launton, Oxford, England
Rel: Wife
Alice DAVIS 7 F B'Ham, Warwick, England
Rel: Daur
Occ: Scholar
Frederik DAVIS 4 M Aston, Warwick, England
Rel: Son
Occ: Scholar
Adeline DAVIS 2 F Aston, Warwick, England
Laura DAVIS 3 m F Aston, Warwick, England

1871 13 court 5 house Lawley street
George smith age 38 b. Launton Oxford Stoker
Ann smith age 34
Maryann 15 b. Launton
George 13 b. Launton
Robert 10 b. Launton
Frank 6 b. Birmingham
Joshua 15 months b. Birmingham.

the 1891 census bears out the fact that Fredericks brother,William, as stated had lived in london as 2 of his children were born there.
Adeline age 12 is living with him in Mott street,Aston.

Although I have searched the complete records of deaths in 1890 I cannot find a Mary Davis that fits the age excepr for one in Wallingford Oxford,did she die in Aston or had she already left and gone to relatives in Oxford.

overton

your name rang a bell with me. are you a decended from Christopher and Harriett Overton from Mott Street? in the 1870s? colin evans

Re: overton

a very sad story. i have all the details of this murder from the birmingham evening post.i also have a tin photo of alice taken in 1877

Re: overton

Hi Patricia,I have not been on for a while. I have plenty of info.Let me know if you want details regards,Graham.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is all a bit sinister as my step grandfather was called Frederick Davis but he was born in India and lived with my nan until they married in 1975 he died in 1981

Back