• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Davies, Helen (Ellen or Nell): Schoolteacher in Birmingham area early 1900's

cookecutter

proper brummie kid
My grandfather and his twin brother were born to an unwed mother, Jane Davies, in 1901 in Birmingham. They spent their early childhood with their widowed grandmother and her youngest daughter, Helen, whom they affectionately called "Aunt Nell". The 1911 census shows Helen as a schoolteacher, 20 years old. The only written record I have of her after this was when her mother died in 1916 and the Death Certificate noted Helen as being in attendance at Victoria Road, Bidford (not sure if this is considered part of Birmingham, but Google map does show a school on Victoria Road, assuming I have the correct location.) My grandfather and his brother are gone now and their last surviving cousin passed away recently, but his family also remembers him talking about his "Aunt Nell", so she must have lived on into the 1920's or 30's, at least. Any suggestions for tracing this great-great-aunt who left a lasting impression on her nephews, and undoubtedly, on her students?

When you last heard of her, her name was Jane Davies ? The only Bidford I know is Bidford on avon, which would not be Birmingham, but near Stratford on avon

mikejee:

Actually, Jane Davies was the mother of the twins, who were born in Birmingham in 1901. Jane's youngest sister, Helen Davies, still lived at home with their widowed mother in Five Ways, Haseley in 1911. They helped raise the boys while Jane worked at an estate in Yorkshire, some distance away. When the elderly widow could no longer care for her grandsons because she was going to live with her married son, Jane was advised to place her boys at Middlemore Home in Birmingham. The boys were sent to Canada in 1912 and a year later, Jane married the butler at the estate where she worked and tried unsuccessfully to get the boys returned to her. I've been looking for anyone--family, friend, neighbor, doctor, lawyer--who may know the biological father of the twins, whose name has not been mentioned anywhere that I've searched. Jane and Helen's brother who supposedly took in his widowed mother was named Charles Davies, but I can't find him anywhere after 1881. Since Helen was the youngest sister in the family, I was hoping that she may have married and had children still living who might know something about the situation.

I'll have a closer look at Bidford-on-Avon. Thanks

cookecutter

I notice that on the death certificate, the area is Alcester, Warwickshire. The year after Jane Davies death, i.e. 1917 there is a marriage of Helen Davies to Edward V. Horseman in Alcester. Then there is a death of an Ellen Horseman 15 Nov 1956 Alcester, with a birth date of about 1890. As your Helen Davies was born 1890 I wonder if this is the same person. There is a probate record for Ellen Horsemans death as well, giving her address as Bidford on Avon.

Hi All,

Checking with Google Earth I see that there is a Victoria Road in Bidford on Avon I could see no sign of a school, however, but in 2011 in Bidford it would have been o more than a small village school.

Old Boy

Thanks, Shera. That looks like a great possibility. The difference in the first name is confusing, but the dates and places seem to fit. This forum has been such a help in the short time since I joined. Keep up the good work.

cookecutter

The difference in name - Helen and Ellen - is quite common, and I know its the same person as Ellen Horseman leaves her money to her husband Edward Victor Horseman. He died the following year and left money to a son. There may have been more children (two daughters born after the marriage with mmn Davies), which you could find out. They have all passed away but will have surviving descendants.

Just wanted to update you on my search for Helen Davies. The marriage and death records that Shera mentioned were correct. Helen and her husband had three children so I've been searching on Ancestry for possible marriages and offspring for them. An Ancestry member who had married into the family posted a photo of one of Helen's children and something about it seemed familiar to me. On a hunch, I sent a message and discovered that there is still one daughter living in Bidford on Avon. This would be my closest living Davies relative in England, as far as I know. We have just started exchanging e-mails and are both thrilled to discover new family members. It has been a round-about journey, but time well spent. Thanks again to all who replied to my post.

cookecutter

Back