• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Davenport Family Birmingham .

Davenport

master brummie
After years of trying to research my family and not having much luck I made contact with June Bird who is a distant cousin. She has spent many hours researching our family and has resulted in the publication of this book.
It’s such an achievement. It details the history of Warwickshire Davenports, and traces relationships back to Orm de Davenport c.1086 in Congleton. Seven family members have added a chapter recording their own families.
Especially interesting for me was the proof of my relationship with the Davenports Brewers.
John Davenport the first malster was my fifth Great Grandfather,his grandsons included John who carried on in the business and also my three times great grandfather . The interesting fact is that both of them were convicted criminals. John in his youth was sentenced as a thief and convicted.He served on a prison ship but had his sentence rescinded after a plea from his employer at the time and his family.
His Brother ( my 3 x grt Grandfather) was a die a die stamper and put his skill to forging coins, he was convicted and died on the prison ship Dolphin in Chatham.
This will be a great book for anyone researching this Surname.

E4B33A40-08A7-4A28-B645-C05B9F046BFE.jpeg

This thread is about Birmingham.
I see from the illustrated cover that there was Davenports at Ashby de la Zouch (Leicestershire) so they were scattered around the trade it seems.
There is also this longer thread:

This thread is about Birmingham.
I see from the illustrated cover that there was Davenports at Ashby de la Zouch (Leicestershire) so they were scattered around the trade it seems.
There is also this longer thread:
Although very distantly related the Davenport wines and spirits company Ashby de la Zouch has no business connections at all with Davenports brewery Birmingham.

After years of trying to research my family and not having much luck I made contact with June Bird who is a distant cousin. She has spent many hours researching our family and has resulted in the publication of this book.
It’s such an achievement. It details the history of Warwickshire Davenports, and traces relationships back to Orm de Davenport c.1086 in Congleton. Seven family members have added a chapter recording their own families.
Especially interesting for me was the proof of my relationship with the Davenports Brewers.
John Davenport the first malster was my fifth Great Grandfather,his grandsons included John who carried on in the business and also my three times great grandfather . The interesting fact is that both of them were convicted criminals. John in his youth was sentenced as a thief and convicted.He served on a prison ship but had his sentence rescinded after a plea from his employer at the time and his family.
His Brother ( my 3 x grt Grandfather) was a die a die stamper and put his skill to forging coins, he was convicted and died on the prison ship Dolphin in Chatham.

View attachment 138142
This could be very useful as I am building my family tree (in www.ancestry.co.uk) and am also a descendant - through Robert Davenport 1765-1833 (some distant cousin of yours!). My grandfather emigrated from England and after a stint in Canada, immigrated to New Zealand where I'm from.

Do you know how I could get hold of this book (or PDF) please?

This could be very useful as I am building my family tree (in www.ancestry.co.uk) and am also a descendant - through Robert Davenport 1765-1833 (some distant cousin of yours!). My grandfather emigrated from England and after a stint in Canada, immigrated to New Zealand where I'm from.

Do you know how I could get hold of this book (or PDF) please?
Could you please private message me. Robert is my 4thx Grt Grandfather.

View attachment 138142
Wow, this is interesting, I have a Jane Bird and a Davenport.

Back