• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Davenports Brewery

R

ritaincrete

As a school girl I lived opposite Bath Row, in Cleve Terrace and remember beer at home being delivered by horse and cart lead by one of the lovely Shire horses,The lady driving this cart down Piggott Street was a dark haired burly lady, can you possibly refresh my memory regarding her name. I would be most grateful.

From Rita

cregoe kid

proper brummie kid
Does anyone remember when Davenports delivered their beer by horse and cart? we used to stand outside the brewery on Bath Rowe and walk the horses down Cregoe Street to the stables in Bell Barn Road,our highlight was helping to trim the horses up for May Day.

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member

Attachments

Robert Ensor (bob)

master brummie
Can't help this one I remember when Davenports delivered their beer in Jaguar cars, I worked for P J Evans on Granville St in the Rolls Royce/Jaguar service department right behind the Davenport brewery, the directors would bring in their cars and to help things along they always left a gigt in the boot.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
Can't help this one I remember when Davenports delivered their beer in Jaguar cars, I worked for P J Evans on Granville St in the Rolls Royce/Jaguar service department right behind the Davenport brewery, the directors would bring in their cars and to help things along they always left a gigt in the boot.
rob excuse my ignorance but what is a gigt ??

lyn

Robert Ensor (bob)

master brummie
Coaches section?
Loyd a reference to the question do you remember how Davenport's delivered their products, I remember the trucks, but working right behind the brewery separated by a r/r track the only time I had Davenport's beer delivered was in the boot of a Jaguar when they were bought in for warranty work or service as a thank you for doing a good job before we did the work so of course the directors of Davenport's always got the very best work

Robert Ensor (bob)

master brummie
What a treat had not heard the jungle in over 40 years, how about dropping a vase of the mantle and leaving it on the floor and opening a bottle of beer as every house wife in England would do, what a way to to market to woman because no man would be upset to find his beer gone and the wife tipsy or worse