• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Danish Food Centre Birmingham

oldMohawk

gone but not forgotten
I walked up this ramp many times. The Danish Food Shop always looked interesting but I never went in ...
Danish_iOS.jpg

OM - Went in the Danish Centre to eat a few times with my mum. I don’t think it was there for very long. We liked the food, open sandwiches on rye with mayo, prawns and lettuce. Still eat that today. Viv.

Last edited:
The
Danish Food Centre was opened in Birmingham by Princess Margrethe and Prince Henrik of Denmark in 1970.

A couple more photoe of the Danish Food Centre. Still a fan of Danish salami ! I think the second photo might be from the opening as people seem to be clustered around the windows. The first photo was taken at Christmas 1972.
Screenshot_20240325_070743_Facebook.jpgScreenshot_20240325_070714_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

@Vivienne14

Wow, Viv, that's bought back memories.

I was an apprentice at the MEB, and worked at the Danish Food Centre for months, carrying out the electrical installation. I was there on opening day, and what a day it was.
Most of the staff were over from Denmark, and stayed locally. I went out with one of the girls for quite a while. I recognise some of them in the stall picture.
I was 19 at the time.

Steve.

Are the Danish Food Centers still there?
No, Richard. They were very much a 70s trend. But ryebread, prawns, rollmops, herring etc are available in supermarkets these days.

Mother's friend Hilda introduced us to the Danish Food Centre and open sandwiches. These days we eat Swedish food in IKEA. There are also home delivery services for Nordic ex-pats.

Lurpak butter and Danish bacon are readily available.

Derek

No, Richard. They were very much a 70s trend. But ryebread, prawns, rollmops, herring etc are available in supermarkets these days.

Mother's friend Hilda introduced us to the Danish Food Centre and open sandwiches. These days we eat Swedish food in IKEA. There are also home delivery services for Nordic ex-pats.

Lurpak butter and Danish bacon are readily available.

Derek
Thank you Derek!
Most of those foods are assimilated into the food system here.
Especially where different immigrant populations settled. Rye bread, prawns are pretty much staples with herring also available, usually packaged but very enjoyable!

In addition to the front retail area, the DFC also had an "all you can eat" buffet restaurant. I went there a few times in the late 1970s, when that was a real novelty in Brum. The buffet display was spectacular .... I can still picture the whole ox tongue.

Back