• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Dance halls

is this the stellas bar mraitch...caption says stellas continental bar park road aston

lyn

HI Lynn ;
the picture you have shown of stella bar ; park rd i am trying top think where about on park rd you mean;
what year was this stella bar was i can recall stella bar in hockly not aston ;only
best wishes Astonian; Alan;

happy to help mraitch..so you can confirm thats its a pic of stella bar on park road aston??..reason i ask i because astonian can not recall where abouts on park road it was...any help would be great..

lyn

Yes Stellar's bar was at the junction of park road and Queens road it was upstairs above a pub which I remember as the Lower Queens but not 100% it was a Atkinsons house As Atkinsons brewery was in Queens road.

Yes Stellar's bar was at the junction of park road and Queens road it was upstairs above a pub which I remember as the Lower Queens but not 100% it was a Atkinsons house As Atkinsons brewery was in Queens road.

thanks for the info mraitch thats a great help...

I remember Stella's bar very well, think I have posted about it somewhere on the Forum. Stella is behind the bar on the photos. It opened about the mid 1950s very sophisticated (or so we thought) for the time. When anyone offered Stella a drink should we say "I'll have a bob's worth". The barman was Albert.

corner of park rd and qeens rd, opposite park gate, known as the top queens. called the avenue hotel.

Yes, it was the Avenue, I went to school in 1943 with the 'gaffers' son, a lad by the name of David Hill, he had a sister Kathleen in poor health, his Dad also owned a racing greyhound. I think I have mentioned the fact when they had overnight visitors David had to sleep on the billiard table. Stella's Bar was the brain child of the 'missus' whose name of course was Stella. I lived lower down Queens Rd at no. 84 with my Gran, opposite Atkinsons brewery. Eric

pic on post 10 obviously taken on a match day, 'bus parked in Queens Rd and the fans streaming through Aston Park towards Villa Park

Great to get some more info on Stella's Bar. In the mid 1950's I used to take the No.39 bus from Witton into town in the evenings a couple of times a week
to attend night school in Albert Street. I noticed Stella's Bar in particular since having large windows and being more open to passerby view than some pubs along that route, the warm lighting and people inside looking like they were having a good time always made me have a good look as I went by.

Hi guys
do you know for the love nor money i still cannot place this stella bar i must be getting this senior mental block of a moment people say
and yes i should recall it in my mind being an Astonian; i was around thar quarter a thousand times
Still not to worry lynn thanks for that picture the vizulisasion will come back to me sooner or later ;
i passed it always when walking down to concentric and going to the villa matches ;
Oh well ; have a good day every body and whilst i remember my little bit at this time in the morning happy birth day jenny
Astonian;;;; Alan ;;;

Astonian,

Perhaps this view might help

Attachments

• Aston Avenue Hotel Aston Park Rd.jpg
    Aston Avenue Hotel Aston Park Rd.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 18
HI PHIL;
How are you phil fine i hope yes its slowly coming to me now am putting myself back in time and walking down the rd
as it was said the corner of queens rd i often walked down there to the villa and to the aston parish church for the service and the choir service and going into the park; i got to go to great barr the last week end as i found an old book from carl chinns and the one story was from the roahe family of queens rd ; in his book titled from wales to aston ; and it was my sister inlaws family [ parents ] with pictures of her and her parents at a coronation out side the black horse
she was over the moon she was shocked to see the story and pictures of her self and her older brother ;and the other shock she had was me turning up at my brothers house first time in four years it was a great meet ;
but to be honest phil; i am just getting alot of senior moments even at home ;i have to go back into hospital day only this time up at malveren which is abit of the way for me i am hoping i can be out for george jelfs funeral ; some time this fore coming week week he was my mothers cousin ;and hope to meet some more cousins to me whom have remained in the cubbards for years ah well phil; thanks for the nudge by showing me the picture of the old haurnt brillient
many thanks again and best wishes Astonian;; alan;;;;;;

Hi guys
do you know for the love nor money i still cannot place this stella bar i must be getting this senior mental block of a moment people say
and yes i should recall it in my mind being an Astonian; i was around thar quarter a thousand times
Still not to worry lynn thanks for that picture the vizulisasion will come back to me sooner or later ;
i passed it always when walking down to concentric and going to the villa matches ;
Oh well ; have a good day every body and whilst i remember my little bit at this time in the morning happy birth day jenny
Astonian;;;; Alan ;;;
astonian, i well remember some good sunday nights in stella,s, i,m certain they were "free and easy sessions". this venue was just on the left going uphill in park rd.,it was just past a wrought iron works called may,s gates.

astonian, Stellas Bar was upstairs in the Avenue Hotel pub corner of Queens Road and Park Road opposite Aston Park, it was named after the gaffers wife and it was her idea, supposedly a cocktail bar. I went to school with her son David and he took me up there a few times, not my cup of tea. His dad also had an interest in greyhound racing and owned a couple of dogs. It was never my local preferred the 'Queens' or 'Grosvenor' in Grosvenor Road. Eric

Hey cookie if you lived opposite Atkinson's Brewery your place must have backed onto mine in Gladstone Street. Weaver's Coal-yard. Hello neighbour, remember those lovely smells of hops, and HP sauce on a windy day? Regards, David.

Back