• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Dalton Bros George St West

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
This photo was taken in the early 70s when Birmingham was being "modernised". The position on the film suggests it was taken around Icknield port road. The only Dalton Brothers betting shops in the period 1967 -71 seem to have been at roseberry cottages, rosebery st; 53 spring hill; 226 icknield port rd and 85 hingeston st. None of these seem to fit with the road next door to the shop, the sign of which has been stretched in the second photo to try and make it clearer. Does anyone recognise this building?
Mike

Sorry about that. Here are the photos
mike

19_stretchedA.jpg

19A_Corner_hingeston_st_George_st_west.jpg

Here you go.

Used to be the outdoor, I lived up the second entry along on the right, just where the Morris van is I guess

Somewhere I have the image where it is Daltons, the Bookies, great original photo Mike, and so sad to see the old end being demolished.

I remember that corner well as I worked Saturdays in the greengrocers next to the betting shop in the early 60's. It was owned by Mike Kelly and he had an assistant Mrs Ann Sherridan. I've got a lot of happy memories of my Saturdays there, half a crown for the day, and very welcome it was. The shop next to it was a book shop, can't remember the name of the man who owned it. I remember he also sold toys and sometimes had a Lucky Dip, a barrel of sawdust that you fished through to get your surprise. Edit: It's just come to me, it was Fred's Books.

Last edited:
This photo was taken in the early 70s when Birmingham was being "modernised". The position on the film suggests it was taken around Icknield port road. The only Dalton Brothers betting shops in the period 1967 -71 seem to have been at roseberry cottages, rosebery st; 53 spring hill; 226 icknield port rd and 85 hingeston st. None of these seem to fit with the road next door to the shop, the sign of which has been stretched in the second photo to try and make it clearer. Does anyone recognise this building?
Mike
This building belonged to Mr late father in law
Hi Mike: Is it George Street?

Alfred Dalton..he had more brothers Fed and George..I married Alfred and Florence Dalton son Nigel..

Back