• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Daily Cafe Wharfdale Tyseley

Suze

master brummie
Anyone remember Eileen Hand who ran this cafe in the 40's 50's and her Roland ?

Any photos please of this cafe or the road? I think it was knocked down

If its the one i'm thinking, of it was black and white with lace curtains. Its still standing but has been converted into a house.

Interesting....Mum thought that it had been sold for a building plot. I dont know what number it is,do you?

Would some kind person please do a look up and see what number Wharfdale Rd the Cafe was please.That might help to start to solve the confusion It would have been a cafe in the late 40's early 50's Thanks

Last edited:
Hi Suze

294 Hand Rowland,, dining​
r m s

This is from the 1950 Kelly's Trade Directory.

Phil

If it's the cafe I'm thinking of it was about 4 doors from where Selco is now between Wharf road and Stockfield road , it was run by a woman in her 80s in the 1990sand I think her son had some sort of yard at the back to do with custom cars Bernie

Hi Suze

Further to my last post, I remember this café it was set back from the road a bit next to a shop just past the corner of Wharf Rd. It was run by an elderly couple and was a bit old fashioned in this modern world. If I remember correctly it was painted a faded red or brown.

I think it was still open until the late 1990's. We used to take our lorries to the place next door for replacement tachographs & repairs. I think the whole corner has now been swallowed up by a Selco Builders Supply.

Phil

Thanks all. Sounds like Mum's Aunty Eileen,lived to be a very old lady. I am just going to Google earth it again and see what comes up.When I speak to Mum tomorrow I will tell her all you have found .Thanks....just to push my luck...any photo's anyone?

there used to be a cafe tysley station end as you came over the bridge Kings Rd to the left Wharfdale to the right, just before you got to the corner on the right it backed onto the railway lines. Dek

Thanks Dek...am going to check to see if its the Daily Cafe tomorrow..somehow...I bet there were lots of cafe about in those days

Hello Suze I have just looked on google earth and Phil is right the cafe would have been in Selco car park if it was still standing regards Bernie

Thanks Bernie ,I will look it up and see just where. Any photos of it by any chance anyone?

Back