• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

CYCLE PROFICIENCY TEST

D

DAVE BRICK

Did anyone do the Cycle Proficiency Test during their childhood, we did it while attending Deykin Avenue School.
I remember riding round Witton Island and the Station Rd, Manor Rd area with marshalls on every corner, not to test our skills I dont think, just to make sure we did not scarper off the route. We were about 13 at the time.

Some years later they built a cycle circuit in Aston Park complete with cross roads, junctions and belisha beacons for kids to practice on.

I dont know whether its still there, or if kids these days would be interested in learning to ride a bike safely.

I never had a bike till I was a teenager, and then it was of the back of a lorry? I never did the test Dave. What I do remember is a annual colouring competition for road safety.... I never won, just made a mess with the crayons

No such thing as real cycle proficiency test in my day. I had my bike, a BSA roadster, one Christmas morning and I recall there was a slight covering of snow on the road.
My father took out his 'massive' sit up and beg Raleigh and we were off.

He rode behind me and called out directions that I should take. I was so aware of him following behind and what with the crunching of the snow under the wheels I was so apprehensive.

We got home some time later and he put his bike in the shed. Mine came indoors with me for it had to cleaned down by me with a bit of rag.
As I did the task in the kitchen I heard my mother in the front room enquire of the old man how I was.
His reply "He'll be alright' was my cycle proficiency test passed.

BIKES GALORE

When I was 15, I had seven bikes. Me and my mates used to go to the refuse/dustbin place which was between Moor Lane and the canal.
There we used to sort out all the old bikes, part bikes etc, and bring them home to Nelson Road and fix them up.

We used to spend all our time with our bikes, repairing and cleaning them, they were a big part of my life at that time.

Yes there were girls around, but we were not interested in them.
Strange isnt it.

I remember the Cycling Proficiency Test at Foundry Road Juniors' school. The kids weren't taken on the road, a course, crossing etc was set up in the playground. Sergeant Christmas ran it and checked your brakes, tyres, bell and everything before you were even allowed on your own bike. I hated him cos he reckoned mine was a death trap! 8)

I'm afraid by the time I reached 15, girls had taken over, although I did have another fad on bikes when I was about 18 and a gang of us at work decided it would be a good way of keeping fit.

About the last time I rode a bike was when me and a mate, borrowed another mate's to get a drink close to closing time. Having speeded down St Michael's Hill, we fell of right outside the Black Eagle and left it in the road while we went for a drink. When we came out it had been nicked so we had to stagger home.

Yes, Rod, I remember the colouring competition - wonder who did win it if it wasn't you or me. :roll:

It was me Paul, and I have a certificate to prove it, presented along with many other children of various schools in a ceremony at the Town Hall.

COPPERS GOT US

One time when we went to the dustbin place by Moor Lane we found a moped. We took it to my mates house in Tame Road where after a couple of days we got it going. Thats when we took it out on Tame Road and rode it around until we were stopped by the police and had to go to the police station.

This was the time when police were out and about and not stuck in the station doing paperwork.

my proficiency test was a disaster! my bike was too big i knocked down all the cones i was supposed to weave through then when i did the emergency stop i nearly took the examiner right off his feet because i didnt see him!
that was at yorkswood junior school in kingshurst, i was a devastated 10 year old!

Got the certificate been there done that did'nt get the Tee shirt I still have the certificate.
Well done you lot :D

thanks for that di, i may not have passed that test but i rode that bike everywhere! especially down the hill from bacons end island!that was before chelmsey wood estate was built, oh what a hill that was1

Got my Dads Swimming certificate from Elkington Street School  1924  put me right on the spelling :-\
Thank you Sylvia
Will put the certificate on the forum if I could find out how to do it

Yup......still got mine too....somewhere!........I did mine in the playground with all the route and hazards marked out with cones.

Here's mine we were tested on the road with marshall's everywhere.

took my test in Cromwell street playground nechells,
it was scary with the police,everyone in them
days seemed to be scared of a policeman.
i think it must have been if you played up
your mom or dad would say,i,ll fetch a policeman,
if you don,t behave, them days they were on the beat
not in nice warm cars.. happy days
regards dereklcg.

Cant remember where I took my test, but I sure wish I had kept my certificate like Wendy. And like you Derek, it was different regarding Policemen in them days wasnt it ? I got caught once with a couple of friends, when we decided to start a small fire with some matches we had found, on a bomb-peck, only for the local bobby to come round the corner. In those days we where absolutely terrified what would happen when we had been caught. He took us home, and I got a hiding off my Dad. Good old days eh ? Barry.

Cycle proficiency test.

:biggrin: Got mine framed on the wall. Will get Pete to copy it for me and scale it down. It's dated 1955 and is signed by the Lord Mayor of Birmingham. Is yours Alf?. Alf I cant get my smilies to move today. Don't know what I'm doing wrong?. They were fine yesterday. TTFN. Jean. :cry:

Did mine in 1971. First with the cones in the school playground then off onto the local roads. Couldn't do that now - too much traffic.

Don't know where the certificate went but I've still got the enamel badge they gave us for passing.

Cigarettes

Something thats been dogging me for a while now, a memory from my childhood (or is my old age playing tricks) I recall on the way to school (we used to walk or cycle the 2 miles 4 times a day) we would pop into the Tuck shop and buy............wait for it............ a packet of cigarettes....I know, I know:rolleyes:.......but I don't smoke now.
The thing is, I remember them being in a paper wrap, and 4 in a pack, called Domino.........can anyone else remember these or is it nicotine poisoning affecting my memory:shocked:

Last edited by a moderator:
I rember 5 in a paper pack of woodbines around 1953 me and a friend would buy a packet one day he had 3 next time I had the 3

ciggies

Something thats been dogging me for a while now, a memory from my childhood (or is my old age playing tricks) I recall on the way to school (we used to walk or cycle the 2 miles 4 times a day) we would pop into the Tuck shop and buy............wait for it............ a packet of cigarettes....I know, I know:rolleyes:.......but I don't smoke now.
The thing is, I remember them being in a paper wrap, and 4 in a pack, called Domino.........can anyone else remember these or is it nicotine poisoning affecting my memory:shocked:
:redface: naughty naughty! i remember them yes sirie,we also on the way to the tivolia cinema at the swan yardley, would buy joysticks an extra long ciggie.
where i went to school in lea village we would buy a fag and a match at lunch time,and share it giss a drag.
happy days i don,t smoke now either,i,ve got a zip down the front of my chest,from having a bypass op, who knows if it was smoke related, lots of people smoked then.. regards dereklcg.

john the barber

Derek did you but you fag and match from john the barbers in lea village.
:rolleyes:
hi mariew,i think the shop whatever it was,was by eddies cafe,
i seem to think it was a newspaper shop,but it,s been a long time/
i,m having a great time back and forth with dianne,r u mates ?
and i,m waiting a reply from i think it,s the babby about st peters,
fantastic,, what you can remember when you think back.
catch you later regards derek..:023:

Coo it is years since I saw one of those - I also had a pennant I seem to recall but may be wrong.

HI Bernie I don't remember having a pennant but I do remember we had to borrow a bike as I only ever had a three wheeler. Jean.

Back