• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Crosscat Walk Coal Wharf Aston c1850

Louisa

master brummie
I wondered if anyone could help with this query:

Has anyone ever heard of Crosscat Walk Coal wharf on Aston Road c 1850 ?

I was wondering where it was located as I have searched some 1850's directories and cant seem to find it.

Louisa

There seems to be only one general area it could be, and that is where Bagot St and Mill st join Aston Road. The only wharf marked on maps around 1839 and 1828 is Aston junction Wharf. This is not named on the c1889 OS map, but possibly between 1839 and 1889 part or all had this name. Sorry I can't help more.

Mike
The only wharf I can think of is or should I say was at the bottom end of the Avenue off the Aston road
Where everybody lined up for about 500 yards to get in And shove your Barrow under a chute the guy would pull a lever and press a button
And down came the coal or coke of what you wanted unless it was further up the Aston Road midland counties dairy and passing mol and street
And just short of reaching Bag got Street I know there was a huge scrap dealers yards there at one time,,, Alan, Astonian,,,,

Back