• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cross Keys - Corner of Windsor Street & Coleman Street

carlinwood

proper brummie kid
Hi,
I hope someone might be able to help me. I have been given a copy of my Great Grandmothers 'life story' which she wrote in the late 1960s just before she died and I am going through the process of editing (only to add punctuation / headers etc)) and illustrating it as a keepsake for future generations. One of the parts refers to:

"he [her father] takes me Into the Cross Keys pub on corner of Coleman St and Windsor St, people named Davis kept it, I told him I was hungry he asked Mrs Davis if they had made any soup ,said they had I had a basin full and a slice of bread, a lot of public houses were making soup for the poor, then I told him I wanted some shoes, so I could look for work, he said he couldn't this week as he had lost two turns"

This would have been around 1902 when she was 13/14 years old, poor thing.

I was wondering if there were any pictures / photos of this pub before the whole area (including Coleman Street) disappeared? I must add that this is purely for self publication and not a commercial enterprise.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
Carl

Carl

This photo of the Cross Keys was originally posted by GER22VAN (Ernie) on one of the threads of the forum I think it was the Gosta Green through Duddeston thread. It is the only one I have ever seen.

Attachments

• Nechells Cross Keys Colman St Nechells.jpg
    Nechells Cross Keys Colman St Nechells.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 28
Carl
here is a slightly better copy of Phil's photo

Cross_keys__15_court_windor_stA.jpg

Back