• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

cromwell arms pub

Hello gham Cromwell st is in nechells b,ham 7 just off grt Lister st,it went through to rocky lane.
i was born in Cromwell st in 1948.
regards dereklcg.

Hello gham,
Derek has already answered your question, I might add the only original part of the street left is Cromwell Street school.

My grandfather was born at 74 Cromwell St. in 1874. Would that have been far from the Cromwell Arms?

Ann

Hello Ann, no 74 could,nt have been far away, if i,m right the Cromwell was no 80 or there or there about.
i was born at no 3 which was at grt Lister st end opp st Mathews church,
if you care to look back there,s a lot of people who came from the same area it,s fantastic reading. best wishes Derek.

Hello Ann,
The pub was 79, our house was 80, the scrapyard was 75-77, so if the photographer had panned slightly to the right he would have got 74 in the shot.
My friends lived at 74 The Davies's, we used to sell our sweet coupons to them.

Thankyou Dereklcg for the information regarding the location of Cromwell Street. If you lived in that street were you allowed mince pies on Xmas day? Only they do say that Oliver Cromwell got a law passed which forbade the eating of mince pies on Xmas Day! Extraordinary if it's true!

Hi Anne,
my grandfather also lived in Cromwell St. His name was George Haddon, not sure of the number but I remember if we walked up from our house in Weston St. and turned left at the top it just on the left in Cromwell st. He died around 1946/9 I believe.

I have lived in Nechells, Sheldon, Solihull and now Somerset, small world what?............Regards....John

Hi John,

I expect our grandparents lived in Cromwell St. at different times. My grandfather was born there in 1875 and was still there in 1881, but then moved to Bordesley and then Sparkbrook. Funny that we've lived in the same places. Who's following who! In Somerset we lived in Willington and then Minehead, before returning to Brum.
All the best
Ann

thanks for the reply Ann, as you say, different times. We live just outside Ilminster between Taunton and Yeovil now. Love it to bits here, don't think we'll be moving back. The Birmingham site is brilliant, great memories.

Happy Christmas and new year..........John

Back