• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Crabtree Rd

negritaspider

TunisianBrummie
Hi,
Hoping you can help to confirm addresses please.
I have Thomas Lorton and Annie Court (maybe Lorton) living at 19 Crabtree Rd in 1875 (taken from baptism record) and living at 34 Crabtree Rd (Newsagents) on 1881 census.
Is there a possibility that you can confirm these addresses please?

Last edited by a moderator:
in the 1879 post office directory of bham there is an entry with no number but thomas lorton crabtree road hardware dealer.

From 1880 directory
34 Lorton Thomas, hardware dealer

34 Walker Mrs.-Mary, tobacconist

mike​

thanks both!
Seems that gr grand-da moved along the road during that period!
I now have four different addresses in the same road!!

hi negritaspider....i have just found this pic of crabtree road taken 1960...pity i cant make out the numbers on the doors...hope its of use to you...

astoness...

pic courtesy of carl chinns birmingham lives..

Attachments

• crabtree_rd_terraces_close_up.jpg
    crabtree_rd_terraces_close_up.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 11
well, bless me!
Three storey houses - they must have cost a pretty penny in the 1880's, rent or bought!

Astoness, 34 was a shop, so the photo can't be of that - but nice anyway!!

Hi,
i've been on the 1911 census and found my family living at Western place Crabtree Rd, if anyone has any info on this i'd be grateful thanks.

Brumgum
You did say western place first time. I take it it is western terrace. Anyway can find a terrace, but no place. marked in blue
mike

as promised heres a couple of pics of rutland terrace...situatated oppostite the canel bridge.....

astoness

Attachments

• rutland terrace opp bridge.jpg
    rutland terrace opp bridge.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 8
  • rutland terrace opp bridge2.jpg
    rutland terrace opp bridge2.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 8
pics 3 and 4

Attachments

• rutland terrace opp bridge3.jpg
    rutland terrace opp bridge3.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 5
  • rutland terrace opp bridge4.jpg
    rutland terrace opp bridge4.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 5
pics 5 and 6

Attachments

• rutland terrace opp bridge6.jpg
    rutland terrace opp bridge6.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 6
  • rutland terrace opp bridge5.jpg
    rutland terrace opp bridge5.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 5
pics 7 and 8

Attachments

• rutland terrace opp bridge7.jpg
    rutland terrace opp bridge7.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 4
  • rutland terrace opp bridge8.jpg
    rutland terrace opp bridge8.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 3
HI ASTONESS
When You Went To Grabtree Rd Which End Did You Commence
In Othr WordsDid You Come UP From Pitford Street Or Dudley Rd And Westeren Rd
I Have A Very Old Freind Whom Lives At Thirty Five On The Right Hand Of The Road ,
But Compared To The Orinional House sThey Are TheNew Type To Know What I Know About Them I Knew Alot Of People Up There FromTheOldDays But Most Of All My Old FreindsHave Died From There I Think It Was A Guy Whom Run A B,ham Band Lived In One Of Those Terrace By The Name Of Pete TIENRTY I Think I Have Spelt It Right He Ived In Western Place He LivedThereAll His Life And The First Rd You Come To When You Walk Down From Western Rd And Turn Left There All Terrace Houses Until You Get To The Botton Of The Rd There Used To Be A Company Called PMT ,MACHINES
Whom Sell Machines [ Engineerings Ones ] I Worked There Until I Had A MAJOR Accident ,That Area Certainly Has Memories For Me In Fact All That Area I WAS Fairly Well Known And IAm Not Blowing My OwnTrumpet Trying To Say I Was Special
But If Any Think Went Off I Knew wHAT wHOMaND No Where And Whom Was Involved
Thanks Again For Giving Me Some think To Think About I HAD A Girl Freind At The Time By A Lvely GirlNamed Carol Padgett WhomLived In The First House In Crab Tree Rd , She Uses To Live Down George St West Then MOVED To Crab Tree , Best Wishes
ASTONIAN ,;;;

Brumgum
You did say western place first time. I take it it is western terrace. Anyway can find a terrace, but no place. marked in blue
mike
Thanks,
it was 9 Western Place Crabtree Rd in the 1911 census,

Brumgum.

hi astonian...once again thanks for sharing your memories...they always make interesting reading...bought out your romantic days this time i see....lol....i think it must have been the western road end as there is an entrance to city hospital where dad is....you may be able to work it out better if i tell you that the pictures of the bridge are opposite rutland terrace.

astoness:)

Astonian that was Brookfield road where Maggie lived and knew the tierneys Pete had a brother named mickey she reckons that they lived just before corner coming from western rd down to new spring st past archway after R whites factory there were four houses and he lived in one of them she also worked with Pete at Harris :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi other half
yes that is correct as i previously said i knew most people
down that area just past there i went out with a nice couple of ladies
one on the corner of new spring st and two on crab tree road both called carols one worked for a solictors at the old six ways aston a
the one from crab tree rd the other one just across on the very corner house of new spring street i had a very long standing freind just
down from petes by the name of graham frisby is mother was olive
and his father was fred he was a builder i think there house was 32,
i think in them days today i have got a long standing old schol freind
by the the name of dave allen when i come to brum i still visit him .
And the old clissold st and knights avenue today
thanks for your reply other half do you remember the cafe on the corner of crab tree and clissold st best wishes astonian ,;;;

Hi Astonian
I remember that cafe :):)

Attachments

• taylors cafe 2-4 crabtree_road_woodbines.jpg
    taylors cafe 2-4 crabtree_road_woodbines.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Hi maggs
many thanks for the picture ,you most certainly brought memories gushing back when i seen that cafe and more so seeing the old houses close up i emediately have started to think of the family names
of the house to the emediate left of the cafe door and i can recall when the police called with the gas board to break in and cut her gas off for none payment she kept the place clean but customers was slack ,
and eventualy closed down thanks maggs ,i got to shoot off for a moment the old dutchess is calling out for me so i will drop off for a moe speak to you soon take care , astonian ,;;

hi all. ive just come accross another pic of crabtree road....there a cafe there..note the barbers coffe ad..dated 1962

astoness:)

Attachments

• crabtree_road_barbers_sign 1962.jpg
    crabtree_road_barbers_sign 1962.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
hi julie
just read your thread on crabtree rd and you said that your parents live by dave allen . well dave is my long time old school friend we grew up virtualy together
and i know is entire family i went to his sons wedding afew years ago
we uded to call him titchie because he was only small when he was a kid at school
best wishes astonian ;;

hi there jules
nice to know that you know the allens i grew up with dave allen
and sandra and the sisters there mom was brilliant did you live in crabtree rd
before or after they built them house what they are livingin now was you around the old houses i had quite afew old friends from crabtree rd in the old houses
there was a pair of twins that lived up there as well and the frisby family
the pagetts lived at the bottom end of the street middle of the st there was the wyatts and the hagans by the paper shop
should you still speak to jason or dave asked him whom used to call him tichie allen
from king edwards rd and tell him hi from meand tell him i send my regards to him and the family and i hope they are all well or if your brother stills speak with jason to tell
jason i enjoyed the wedding and to tell his dad
best wishes jules hope to he from you again i hope on the forum with any stories or memorys or requesting info; there is alot of clever and nice people on thissite beleive me its one big happy family ;; best wishes astonian ;;;

After quite a while away, I am now back at Crabtree Road....
Thomas Lorton (Born 1828) lived at 34 in 1881, then on a later census I found one of his children with a cousin from Ireland.....
came back to Crabtree Rd, and lo and behold - who's living at No36? Patrick J Lorton, born 1839 Ireland!
Can anyone help me to find a link between the two?
Another possible link to this thread - the Allens.
Thomas's son (also Thomas b.1854) co-habited with Emma Allen (then married to a Joseph Robinson), so if anyone knows of any gossip on these two, would be appreciated!

After quite a while away, I am now back at Crabtree Road....
Thomas Lorton (Born 1828) lived at 34 in 1881, then on a later census I found one of his children with a cousin from Ireland.....
came back to Crabtree Rd, and lo and behold - who's living at No36? Patrick J Lorton, born 1839 Ireland!
Can anyone help me to find a link between the two?
Another possible link to this thread - the Allens.
Thomas's son (also Thomas b.1854) co-habited with Emma Allen (then married to a Joseph Robinson), so if anyone knows of any gossip on these two, would be appreciated!

Hi,

I remember that in the 1960s there was a hardware shop just after the canal bridge on the left coming down from Western Road. It was run by
a Mr Guck.

Kind regards

Dave

hi negritaspider
just read your thread on crabtree rd about the people
you know whom once lived there and coming back to number 36
on crabtree well my long term friend lived next door at number 35
and his name is allen [ david allen ] we grew up together
in lady wood and went to school together and got up to
all kind of tricks ,dave and family still live there
also in the old terrace houses before they built the excisting ones
another close friend lived in the street the frisby family