• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Coventry Street Digbeth

col1955

master brummie
Would anyone have old photos of coventry st digbeth just up from pub on corner of oxford st. My grandparents lived there

thanks col

Hi Col

These photos are not exactly what you asked for, but they are all I could find. They will give you some idea of the living conditions in the area. I don't know what years you are talking about but these date to the early 1900's one is of the junction of Coventry Street and Allison Street, the other two are of Court 11 Coventry Street.

Attachments

• Digbeth Coventry St Court 11 No's 5 - 9  1904.jpg
    Digbeth Coventry St Court 11 No's 5 - 9 1904.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 105
  • Bordesley Allison St - Coventry St.JPG
    Bordesley Allison St - Coventry St.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 99
  • Bordesley Coventry St Court 11 No's 2-4.JPG
    Bordesley Coventry St Court 11 No's 2-4.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 93
What would have been in those enormous sacks, something quite light I would imagine. Why is it that some photos enlarge so much when they are left clicked and others do not. I know that this applies to some of my own contributions and it is certainly nothing that I have done deliberately, I don't know how!

I would guess it was either paper or metal waste.

Attachments

• Digbeth Coventry St Court 11 No's 5 - 9  1904 parAt.jpg
    Digbeth Coventry St Court 11 No's 5 - 9 1904 parAt.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 32
devonjim

I don't think the sacks contained metal of any description because at that size they would have been too heavy to handle. They were more than likely full of rags, as this was one of the home working industries that could be shared by all the family that was prevalent in Birmingham at that time. You can see similar sized bags on the attached photo which was taken at a paper mill in Landor Street Birmingham.

As for some of the photos being smaller than others, it has to do with the original size of the photo posted. I purposely reduce the size of the photos that I post to a more acceptable level, as some of the photos I have seen posted on here are enormous and are only governed by the size of the viewing screen. I se this as a waste of the forums resource's and self regulate my images that I post to the forum.

Of course this is not the reason for all the small photos on the forum being as small as they are, some the posters post a copy of the thumbnail of the photo mistakenly thinking that they are posting the photo itself, and in some cases the photos are just small photos not much bigger than the thumbnail itself.

Attachments

• rag sorters.jpg
    rag sorters.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 60
Thanks for the picture. I always feel a bit sad about the working conditions endured by the people shown. Any knowledge of my forebears remind me of my very humble beginnings, and in all honesty I can't claim to have climbed much higher.
Both my parents told me of their childhoods which were pretty grim, but they also spoke of some happy memories. They both managed "to get on in life" and lived in relative comfort after WW2 and overall things have improved.
Cheers Tim

Hi Devon john
Quite correctly to say it was waste paper and rags and wollens
As in those days it was very resourceful materials rags and waste paper
And there was plenty of these yards operating around Birmingham right through to the 1940/50s
And right at the bottom of holborn hill next to the pub across the road from Aston station
There was just a yard about the same size with a little office inside the gates and a pair of scales to weigh
The metal /news papers for cashing in
I know because as a kid we done it in the fortys and fifths the street would be lined up with hundreds of kids with push chairs
Laden with waste paper the que was a mile long
This is where the midland waste paper started and now a multi million pounds business
They moved to around the Lichfield road Aston towards the old king Edwards pub
And finally to Landor street
May I had the little picture showed it was a high street which I think was deritend
As I recall as a kid Coventry street was just old one or two up little old and grey houses
And not a shopping area unless you went to the bottom end where you came on to deritend high street
My grand parents lived around the corner of bordeslly street and new canal street
Which was a bed and breakfast for the trades men coming to Birmingham and the surrounding business
Such as typhoon , Chamberlain and hook am
I walked up and down Coventry street thousands of times it was little houses
There was an old couple whom was living in that street around that period they was a Mr and Mrs Jeff's
Living in Coventry street best wishes Alan,,, Astonian,,,,,

Hi Col

These photos are not exactly what you asked for, but they are all I could find. They will give you some idea of the living conditions in the area. I don't know what years you are talking about but these date to the early 1900's one is of the junction of Coventry Street and Allison Street, the other two are of Court 11 Coventry Street.
Hi Phil
Thanks for the photos. The one with the pub is great. I need to check with my elder brother but I think it's shows there house. Apologies for not replying sooner.
Regards col

Hi Col

My grandfather lived at 24 Oxford st and grandmother 4ct 9 Oxford st prior to there marriage in 1898

I worked in the printers next to The Old Wharfe pub on the corner of Coventry/Oxford Streets from 1968 and was told that not long before they used to have their Tea etc bought over from houses on opposite corner by the lady of the house.There were still a few dwellings around at that time but as a 16 year old these things were not really stand out things for me.....I just wish they had been. I and a few other of the apprentices had to get meals for mainly our gaffers from Thomas Walkers on another corner of the 2 roads. Me and another lad did meet a few of the local girls at this time but my memory is blured now.
Think the Printers was 22/24 Oxford St....just looked on Google Maps and its a total mess around there now.....when will they stop people thinking they are artists with those spray cans......I blame The Custard House....lol.

Last edited:
I worked in Knight Printers in Oxford Street, Digbeth from about 1965-1968. I worked in the office. There was Cliff Lawrence, Gordon Lawrence and Michael Lawrence(Cliffs son). Also Graham Whitehill who used to do label work for Goodyear. My Mom used to do the teas and eventually had a shed put on the flat roof as a little kitchen.

Hi there Georgina, I started in Sept 68 and we were probably not there at same time. I liked Gordon, Michael and Graham but couldnt stand Cliff. I suppose Shelia and Mary were in the offices so wouldnt know them.I worked above the offices at 1st with all the ladies in the finishing.....with all our machines going it must have been terrible for you in the office. They built a new factory at the end of old place for the offices and printing machines in the early 70's and we all moved there.The only girl I knew in the offices was the one that had to come down stairs to the tea machine but unfortunately the stairs were tricky in her mini skirt....she soon switched to a midi.....lol
Can remember Gordan and Cliff used to have some right old barney's in front of everyone.The works manager was John Clayton if I remember correctly.

Hi, yes must have left not long before you started. I have to say I really liked Graham he was a nice person. Frank was in charge of the office and to put it mildly he was a creep! I remember some of the girls upstairs, there was Pam(a friend), Margaret, gone blank on the other names. John Clayton rings a bell. Yes I remember the two brothers having some right arguments at times it made it awkward in the office.

I think Graham died years later from alcohol related trouble......and yes he bought the label work in...they had there own (smelly) dept with Ralph, Colin Dawson, Edna and think Laura.Think Pam worked on the small Litho machines and left shortly after I started - I think maybe because they started me. Think she married shortly after. Margaret and Jayne were the young girls on the tables with a lot of the old guard like Betty and an Hilda. In printroom there was a Tom, Alan Redman,Charlie and Tony Bowen and Colin Findon in finishing.Think on deliveries was a Barbara Shaw (might have been the footballers Mother).

p.s. Frank Gregory was indeed a creep and when he bought the pittance around as late as possible I swore he thought it was his own money....lets say very old school......

Hi Keith and Geoff, i am Grahams eldest son and it was lovely to read your comments. My younger brother Edward found this forum and it was so interesting to read about your memories. I remember coming into the office with Dad when i was young and will never for the smell of the paper and the ink. I also remember the trips up to the Goodyear factory with the tyre labels piled into the back of his Capri. Dad passed away in 1988 but always think of him and the factory whenever i am passing through Digbeth.

Hi Stuart....Graham was indeed a nice person and helped me with an insurance matter around 1972. I hope my comments above didnt upset you or your family.
Keith.

Hi Stuart,
Hope you do not mind me replying. Geoff is my husband and it was me, Gina, who used to work in the same office as your Dad. I was very sorry to hear he has passed. He was always so nice to us all and very much liked by all. I left the printers in 1968 so a few years ago now.
All the best to you and your family.
Gina x

Hi Stuart....Graham was indeed a nice person and helped me with an insurance matter around 1972. I hope my comments above didnt upset you or your family.
Keith.
Hi Keith. Not at all it is just so nice to read about him and the factory. My mum Vicky is now living in Kenilworth and i keep in regular touch with her and my brother and sister. I sort of remember the girls that worked in the office and i know Mike Lawrence moved to Balsall Common in the 80's with his family but not sure where they are now. I'm glad Dad was able to help you out.

Hi Stuart,
Hope you do not mind me replying. Geoff is my husband and it was me, Gina, who used to work in the same office as your Dad. I was very sorry to hear he has passed. He was always so nice to us all and very much liked by all. I left the printers in 1968 so a few years ago now.
All the best to you and your family.
Gina x
Hi Gina
Its lovely to hear from you and again its so good to hear about Dad and the impression he left on people. best wishes to you and Geoff and i will pass on your kind wishes.
Thanks Stuart

Back