• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Coventry Road Police station

tali

master brummie
Regarding this story
POLICE STATION
Coventry Road
Smallheath
Birmingham
West Midlands
"Close to the ground of Birmingham City Football Club n St. Andrews, one finds an imposing Victorian building housing a division of the local police force. For it has been unusual for officers of the law to reveal their interest in the paranormal, though some of the more advanced freely admit not that assistance provided by hypnotists and clairvoyants has proved valuable in the fight against crime. At last, realising that extra-sensory faculties do exist in certain people and phenomena is experienced some members of `the force` are beginning to release information themselves concerning haunted property.
One such instance is the station on the Coventry Road where, according to one senior officer who spoke to the 'Sunday Mercury ' in January 1978 `Doors would slam upstairs when there was no-one up there, and some of the men were none too keen to investigate the mysterious noises they heard`. The figure of a woman has also been seen in the building and from the description given, established as that of 'Hilda'a former cleaner who died some time ago.
"

A book also describes it as the location of where Morrisons is now.However, only station i can recall was a small one near the old Rex Centre /Hillyards location
Can anyone clarfify please- or where there 2 stations ?

Tali

Between Green Lane and Greenway St. The second station you mention was opened when they closed the old one.

Phil

SmallHeathCoventryRdPoliceStation.jpg

Was between Foster Bro's and a Newsagents.

I can remember my mother telling me that it was haunted when I was a kid.

Only a vague memory now, but something to do with the cells, which she either said she, or someone she knew used to have a job cleaning.

Until it was demolished due to the road widening and the building of Morrisons the upper part of the old police station was the the Bham City supporters clubroom. Len.

Okay -thanks to all
Don't recall that one then.

Until it was demolished due to the road widening and the building of Morrisons the upper part of the old police station was the the Bham City supporters clubroom. Len.

Mind you , they've witnessed some scary stuff in their times:D:D
Trying to pinpoint it -Is that more on the ex-Big W side?

Tali, More towards Green Lane up the hill, away from the City, there are two shops there now. Len.

The tram on the Coventry Rd is opposite the old police station, Regents Park Rd is front left of the pic on the front right was The Small Heath Tavern its name was changed to The Wrexham. Len.

Tali

Between Green Lane and Greenway St. The second station you mention was opened when they closed the old one.

Phil
i once spent a couple of hours in this police station,about 1952, i was 4 years old and my mum mislaid me at the woolworths a bit further up coventry rd,they fed me jam butties til my mum came to reclaim me.i wonder if she was tempted to leave me for a couple of days to give her a break.

The entrance was the other side of Foster Bros to the Police Station. I thought the club was above the shop.

I think you're right Col, I'm fairly sure it was Fosters rooms they used, the 'Old Birmingham Boxers' used them as well.

I can confirm that there was a club above or within part the Police Station in the 1950's and that after hours drinking sessions occured !
I have no idea if the Police were aware of the after hours drinking or if those in the club were caught or charged.

Bo

Although Fosters was a large shop, tha club had 2 floors above it, I think he top one was petty big, so it could have been over part of the cop shop and if Lencop says so, he's more than likely right.

Hi All,

As can be seen in the photograph of Coventry Road Nick it had only two floors. As the force expanded over the years space in all police stations became a premium and there is no way that the heirarchy would have approved a club over a police station.

As far as police social clubs are concerned for many years there were only one at Steelhouse Lane and, of course, Tally Ho on Pershore Road. I am referring to B'ham City Police here. When West Midlands Police was formed there were several clubs in what had been other force areas. As a result Birmingham Divisions started to open their own clubs. Then a chief constable came along wjho frowned on there being clubs in police stations and most of them, if not all, have been closed. Tally Ho still exists but that, of course, is not a police station.

Coventry Road did not have a club (private or police) and I never heard tales of it being hauinted.

Old Boy

Hi does anyone remember Ken The Cop , he used to patrol all around the blues ground , he would come thru the holmes flats and check on us lot in Ada Road to see if we were playing football in the road , he caught us one day and he would press on you foot wiyh his foot so you could,nt run away and get the obligatory "clip around the ear" happy days !!! didnt know his surname but he would always stop for a coffee/tea at Maggie Molds corner shop which was on the bend of St Andrews road with emeline street opposite , Deano

Hi All,

As can be seen in the photograph of Coventry Road Nick it had only two floors. As the force expanded over the years space in all police stations became a premium and there is no way that the heirarchy would have approved a club over a police station.

As far as police social clubs are concerned for many years there were only one at Steelhouse Lane and, of course, Tally Ho on Pershore Road. I am referring to B'ham City Police here. When West Midlands Police was formed there were several clubs in what had been other force areas. As a result Birmingham Divisions started to open their own clubs. Then a chief constable came along wjho frowned on there being clubs in police stations and most of them, if not all, have been closed. Tally Ho still exists but that, of course, is not a police station.

Coventry Road did not have a club (private or police) and I never heard tales of it being hauinted.

Old Boy

Wasnt there a club in Chelmley Wood Station....?

During the 50s and 60s my old lady was a snitch for a pc harry wilmot stationed at small heath station, i remember him coming to the house many times to gather info from her. No wonder people did not like her even her family

Col H,

Yes. There was a club at Chelmsley Wood. CHelmsley Wood is on L Division with HQ at Solihull. Umntil West Mids Police was formed in 1974 it was part of the Warwickshire Force.

Old Boy

During the 50s and 60s my old lady was a snitch for a pc harry wilmot stationed at small heath station, i remember him coming to the house many times to gather info from her. No wonder people did not like her even her family
A good copper was Harry Wilmot.

No doubt he was george, i know in his retirement he would be up at the bookies by the yew tree so i guess he lived up that way, did you work with him?
Just doing his job and a good one at that

No doubt he was george, i know in his retirement he would be up at the bookies by the yew tree so i guess he lived up that way, did you work with him?
Just doing his job and a good one at that

Yes I did work with him on a couple of jobs. But we all worked together in those days, whereever we were stationed. George

HI GEORGE
my father came over from wexford, eire in the 40s and i have still got his travel permit card which he would get stamped at the staion and it says the station was e division, i cannot make out some of the names on the stamp but it looks like GF 6166, WRIGHT 6207, PB 6186, do they remind you of anybody?

I never worked the 'E' Division so I cannot be of much help. The name could be that of an Officer at Coventry Road but the number do NOT relate to any officer in those days. The four number markings only came in the the 1970s. Sorry.

I got pulled over for riding 2 on a bike when I was about ten and had to go to Cov Rd station to have a bollocking form the Sargeant.
Cant imagine that happening now can you ?

Col H,

Yes. There was a club at Chelmsley Wood. CHelmsley Wood is on L Division with HQ at Solihull. Umntil West Mids Police was formed in 1974 it was part of the Warwickshire Force.

Old Boy

Most police stations had clubs/bars up until the mid nineties when the then, new Chief Constable Edward Crewe closed them all down as he considered them to be anachronistic and not in keeping with the image of a modern police force. Just about the only one left in the West Midlands now that is actually on station premises is at Stourbridge Police station.

Hi Col h,The newsagents was called Beasley's(I think that's the correct spelling).I bought my first American comic book there,on my way home from Saturday morning pictures at the Kingston cinema.
Happy Days.

That's it, Beasleys!.....I used to have a paper round at another newsagents nearby ( opposite Butlers in Grange Road). Ken, the proprietor, used to send me up to Beasleys with his order of ciggies to stock up his shelves once a week.

yeah, that shop was good for DC comics.
Nearly as good as the one in Cattell Rd just past the corner of Arsenal St, run by a really nice elderly couple but their name escapes me now. Although I remember their Grandaughter from school.

yeah, that shop was good for DC comics.
Nearly as good as the one just past the corner of Arsenal St, run by a really nice elderly couple but their name escapes me now. Although I remember their Grandaughter from school.
I wish that I had held onto a few,they would be worth a few quid now !

Back