• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Court 18, Lancaster Street

lynne webb

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
Mike if you are not too busy could you pinpoint Court 18 Lancaster Street please, my Gt. grandmother lived at House 2 in 1911. Thank you.
Lynne.

Lynne
Here is map c 1905 showing position of court 18. houses.According to the c 1952 map, which shows some numbers, number 2 was the house furthest from the road. I assume it was the same in 1911.

map_c_1905_lancaster_st_showing_court_18.jpg

Mike can you pinpoint 13 Court 7 House Lancaster Street,my grt grandparents Thomas and Charlotte Randell nee Benbow lived their for some years,my grt grandfather was a Gunsmith and in 1902 was working at 16 St Marys Row.

Have taken c1905 map previously shown and added houses in court 13 in blue. If numbering for this court is the same as the previous court (which is not certain, then no 7 would be the house coloured in green rather than blue

map_c_1905_lancaster_st_showing_court_18_and_court_13_.jpg

Thanks Mike that's great. I didn't think it would be very far from Staniforth Street. Thanks again.
Lynne.

Hi Mike, this is Court 24, Lancaster St. My G G Uncle William lived here in House 3. Could you pinpoint it on the map please. A rather sad incident happened in that courtyard.

Attachments

• 17918205_1411961458871413_2033917246_n.jpg
    17918205_1411961458871413_2033917246_n.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Appreciate
Reactions: Two
hi lawrence it is possible that one of those houses in that photo could well be house 3...mike maybe able to work it out for you..are we allowed to know what the sad incident was..

lyn

hi lawrence it is possible that one of those houses in that photo could well be house 3...mike maybe able to work it out for you..are we allowed to know what the sad incident was..

lyn
Yes, in 1894 my G G Uncle was seeing two women, the one of which was a neighbour Miss Phillips from 9 House in the same Court.
She found out he had another woman with him and took an axe to his front door. In the fight that subsequently took place in the courtyard, she received a blow to the head and died from a haemorrhage a couple of days later. Initially William was charged with murder but this was changed to manslaughter for which he received two years hard labour at Portland Prison. The incident was well covered in the Newspapers local and Nationally and even created a change in the law.

Last edited:
Laurence
Below is a map c 1889 showing court 24 in pink, As you can see it is U-shaped, and it is not quite clear how many houses are in it, or which way the numbering would have gone. the outhouses partly down one side would show that the photo was taken from about where the blue arrow is marked on the map, but cannot even guess which way the houses were numbered.
map c 1889 showing court 24 Lancaster st.jpg

Thanks Mike, that's excellent. Here is a newspaper extract about it. Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_20170420_162417.jpg
    IMG_20170420_162417.jpg
    638.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Mike, am I right in thinking that the Courts were seperate in numbering than the Houses that ran roadside? My Gt GT Grandparents lived at 88 Lancaster St and currently today Number 90 Lancaster St stands near where the old Court 24 stood by Price St.

Yes Laurence, that is generally true. Where it is an open court, with a space on the road, sometimes it seems , the end house is listed on the road, not in the court, and sometimes the other way. It probably depends on which way the house is facing, but we do not always know which way

Back