• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

cotterills of six ways birmingham help needed

Liz Baker

master brummie
Hi I know it's a long shot wondered if anyone would be able to see if there are any cotterill family around six ways, think around poplar road on boarder of cape hill, smethwick and winson green. Mom said that they used to go to six ways to see family and they lived six ways name of cotterill, thats all she remembers They give you alittle bit to go on and then you find it's usually not quite right lol :/ think around 1950ish also thinks Molly cotterill rings a bell. Anyone fancy a challenge lol other names associated with the cotterills are davis ,morris, Gadd Thanks if anyone can help. :)
Liz xx

hi there
there was cotterills of aberdeen street winson green associated with the kimberly family
she was a sibbling of the cotterils of lodge rd area they was a big family i think her name was val ; she had antoer sister by the name of june cotteril
she was one of the younger ones ;and they had a shop facing the hyddraulic pub ; and scribonas bakery ;just opf lodge rd
i think it was all saints rd on the orner as i recall them trying to think of of one of the brothers there was a couple of brothers
and they drank in the fireman pub ; and on park td hockley friends of the fisher family [ johny ]
best wishes astonian

Thanks Astonian, worth looking into to see if they are the people im looking for :), i've also been told that they may have lived at 139 unett street if anyone would be ble to see for me it would be great thanks agin :)

hi liz, there are so many cotterills that its difficult to know which is yours, but now you have mentioned unett st. ... in 1950 2 back 10 unett st. lived may cotterill, nellie oates and lily rapley. none living there in 1955 though!

if you can think of any christian names it would help a lot. there is one molly e cotterill listed in 1947 living 56 ayre rd. and living with her are emmanuel and joan m berg.

sorry cant be of more help. shera

hi liz ,
one never nows its a small world i have a relative whom goes back some years beleive he married a cotterill;
so i will also check out the christian name and date of marrige ;and i will come back to you later tommorrow to say ya or na ;
but please check it out as to what i have said regarding those at the hockley winson green area
best wishes astonian;

Thank you Shera & Astonian, that would be great and later today will get chance to look into the people that you told me, it is a small world and wil find they are related to us :)i will look into cotterills of hockley andlodge rd :) you both have been brill and really helped i only have ancestry.co.uk and unless you have a correct name and where they lived it goes all the way round things it is a pain, so thank you for giving up time for me.
Shera you have hit the nail on the head Molly Cotterill is one of the family mom had said about her that she was Physically &mentally Disabled and died around 1950-1960 ish she wasn't old.will look into the family at unett street as i think that the davis/morris family lived in unett street to and are related to cotterills. I meet up with family last night and got a little more info from one of the eldest living uncles. He told me that there were a george & dolly cotterill lived in edmond rd smethwick. A george and molly Gadd in london rd smethwick so it gives me some more to look into. Thank you sooooo much you both have be brill xxx

I used to work with a chap called Stan Cotterill who (I think) was from around the area you are looking at, this would have been 1964 to 1970. He was a well known coach driver who worked for Stockland Coaches, Stockland Green Erdington.

hi liz, going on george and dolly (which is prob dorothy) cotterill ....
in 1930 and 1935 george and elsie dorothy may cotterill were living 2 sutherland st. aston
and in 1939 same couple were at 36 oval rd. gravelly hill. this may not be the people you are after as they were in bham area not smethwick.
unfortunately i havent got the electoral rolls for smethwick so am unable to look up george and molly gadd. shera

if you can think of any christian names it would help a lot. there is one molly e cotterill listed in 1947 living 56 ayre rd. and living with her are emmanuel and joan m berg.
Shera looking at an earlier post about molly e cotterill 1947 living at 56 ayre rd the other people living there emmanuel and joan .m.berg. I've be looking on ancestry and in 1911 there was a cotterill and an annie manuella that was living 1911 in shipton on stour do you think this might be the same person :/ just seems an unusual name.

Back