• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Corporation St Development

davidfowler

Exiled Brummie
Although this has been discussed before, I thought I'd put this map up. It nicely shows the extent of Corporation St's push through what was then slums stretching from New St to what is now Lancaster Circus.

It's from a book "History of Birmingham" by Conrad Gill and Charles Grant Robertson published in 1938. Hopefully it will be of interest newer members who haven't seen this previously.

Last edited:
thanks for posting that map david...i too found it most interesting...

lyn

Hi, I cant believe my luck. I have not visited the site for many months. I was doing some research tonight about Chamaberlains "slum clearance" I am keen to know if there is a list or map of streets where the houses/ businesses etc were bought/ closed/ demolished.My relatives left Birmingham in 1888 for Australia and I am wondering if they were some of the displaced persons. I ahve looked at the map posted abpve, but will have to enlarge it to read the street names. Any hints for further research would be appreciated.

Ellie

A more modern day development was the addition of subways on Corporation St. This photo I think shows the Bull St/Corpn St junction just prior to or during subway development. Am I right in thinking both this and the Priory subways have since be filled in? What goes around, comes around. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1418894204.176467.jpg

The Bull Street hump got removed over a decade ago!

Now that corner is being prepared the the Midland Metro extension (currently no tracks on the corner as of late 2014).

House of Fraser and the North Western Arcade are still there!

Martineau Place is opposite (seems to have a lot of empty units - but now has two Poundland's at either end - one in the former H & M, the other where Gap used to be).

Google street maps view dated May 2014

Back