• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Corner Shop Grange Road, Small Heath

Jackieb422ag

proper brummie kid
Hello to everyone,

My Grandparents, Samuel Holloway and Ada Ann (McClure) used to have a shop at 56 Grange Road, Small Heath, in the mid 1920's and early 1930's. It was actually located on the corner of Grange Road and Bertram Road. It was a general grocery/greengrocers shop and they also sold coal from the back yard. I never knew my Grandparents as they died before I was born and the shop, along with many houses, have long gone, probably demolished in the 1960's. I would love to be able to find a picture of the shop or Grange Road as it used to be. I've tried Birmingham Central Library, without success. Can anyone help please with any knowledge or photos.

I thought it may still be there Jackie as my sister lived off Grange Rd until a couple of years ago in the same house for 50 years. I must have passed tha shop thousands of times. However, you are right, Grange Road has been redeveloped. Here it is (or was)

Welcome Jackie, best set of Detectives anywhere on the Web believe me and they don't cost you anything:)

Thanks Alf, I agree. I've been researching my family history for some years now and I've never come across a site with such a wealth of information and local knowledge. I hope I'll be able to help someone in return.

Thanks Postied for the great picture. The corner shop is obviously the same style as the one my Grandparents had, and exactly the same as my mother described. Her mother died when she was 17 and she had to run the shop as well as bring up her younger brothers.

A little closer, but I fear facing the wrong way. This 1950 photo is took at the corner of Eversley Rd and Grange Rd, Bertram Rd would have been the next one up behind the photographer.

I say this simply from memory, so I could be wrong and it may be facing the right way.

Phil

Unfortunately pmc1947 I haven't received the photograph. Perhaps you could try again when you've got time. Thanks.

Jackie

Sorry about that, I was pretty rushed at the time, here it is. I normall check before I log off.

Phil

SmallHeathGrangeRd.jpg

A big thank you to pmc1947 for the picture and John Houghton for the extract from Kellys Directory. I recognise some of the names as my mother used to talk about them.

Grange road

I know its a bit of a long shot but the Kellys Directory 1933 for Grange Road also showed Joseph Underhill Tripe Dresser at 64 Grange Road and Miss Emma Underhill fried fish deliverer at 63 Grange Road. They were father and daughter and I know Emma died a spinster in 1987 aged 95, does anyone have any recollections of the family I would love to hear them if they have.

Grange Road

Sorry fergie, there's no one left now in the family that would remember. My mother would have been the one as she had a fantastic memory about the 'old days'. It's always the case though, you wished you'd have asked more. The name Underhill is familiar, all the shop keepers seemed to have known each other, but unfortunately I can't tell you anymore.

Re: Grange Road

Hello Jackie. I used to live directly opposite that shop in the 1960's. It was run by a family called Brown as a grocery business. The daughter of the owner was Polly Brown from the 60's group Pickety Witch. There is an excellent site about the area, especially Grange road, on https://smallheath.proboards.com/index.cgi and some great photos on https://smallheathcircle.com/index.html. including one looking down Grange road past the Nelson Pub. You can just make out the shop that you are looking for on the corner of Bertram Road on the LHS of the photo. Maybe Jerry, who runs the site, could help?

Regards

Pedro42

Thank you very much for the information Pedro42. Both websites are very useful, much appreciated.

Regards,
Jackieb422ag

my great great grandad moran had the corner shop in 1905 i think mom said he sold it and it became fishmongers .ill ask mom for more info

i remember she told me he gave away more on tick than what was sold and shes not sure how he kept going he and his wife were proper loved by the customers

oh thankyou for the pic think i got wrong shop granddads shop was number 66 grange rd and he lived in the house next door he must have had the shop before 1905 because my nan was born in that year do you have anymore pics think my mom said it was more up by a pub called the vine x

my grandads name was john moran and his wife was catherine there sons were john frank bill and daughters eileen nellie and agnus. anyone got any info at all

66 Grange Road was a house in 1956 Annie Francis and Catherine Moran lived there , I lived at 120 the other side of the road just before Muntz Street

mom cant think of a francis but mom remembers her nan catherine . my mom was born on muntz street my moms moms name was eilleen.
catherines daughter she died in 1999 . do you no of any pics about of that part of the rd xx

I've got some pics of Muntz Street Annie where about do you want the number will do . Here's the names from the electoral roll 66……..Francis & Catherine Moran Bernie

Back