• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

cuppateabiscuit

master brummie
Does anyone have any memories of Coplow Street in Winson Green/Ladywood? My family, the HARRIS's, lived there from the 1920's to the late 50's.

Hi just came across your thread regards coplow street if you log on to mac joseph old laywood website there are images and memories on there maybe thi will be of help to you

I went to Barford Road School up to 1958. Many happy memories of taking the cakes off the girls coming from City Road School from thier cooking lessons. I would love to get in touch with old school friends from that period especially Raymond Dove who lived in Heath Street.

HI ernie ;
just read yur thread and you mentioned ray dove ;
do you ever know what happenend to the dove familyi used to know them many years ao
and i think they moved out long before the slum cleareance i remember correctly
do you reall the wiggins familyor the wards of of barford rd eithere
best wishes astonian ; does the word sangha,s on dudley rd ring any bells with you
best wishes astonian ;;

coplowstreetcoronation.jpg

Coplow Street at the Coronation

heloo astonian with regards to the doves and the wiggins i recall these familys from barford road i have been rounnd this side of ladywood all my life was sanghas next to the frying pan on dudley road or do you recall where it actually was

HI ERNIE
yes it was on the oppersite side of the rd from the frying pan and it was up the rd next to the small radio and television shop and facing the old pawn shop of the corner facing ickneild port rd
most of all the lads from the barford rd all came in do you recall a coulourd chap called pepsi
the doves moved up from spring field street ladywood in the fifties to barford rd
and i can remember nearly all of them bert wiggans and the brothers
and i can recall you coming over once or twice do you remember the two twins the robinsons
kevin and micky to little guys they had a brother called steve i never seen much of him
kevin died about four years ago i leart from his brothe steve last week micky is still alive
steves daughtr is the girl friend to my grand son
when i asked steve where he is from ladywood and we mentioned all theold lads from the barford rd
its very truthfull i would know all if not most of the lads you knowlike wise the friends of mine ;
as i have previuosly said its a small world ernie ,look forward to hearing from you again ;
best wishes astonion ;;

Hi Astonian , My husband was from Barford Rd; ,and we both knew all the Dove family i went to school with Tony and Jimmy , sadly they have had two of there brothers die in a short space of time ( Ronnie & Stephen) we would play between Wiggan Coplow , and Marroway street when we were kids.

astonian it was kayt boo who sent you the message sorry if you knew pepsi imsure yu would no most of my lot from the old days of the lee bridge the wheatsheaf and winson green

HI LIZ
Many thanks for your reply on the forum, that was sad to hear what had happenend to the doves family
i knew them all as nippers and messing around in the gang in springfield st ladywood
i certainly remember ronnie particular ,they had nothink but they was good people
so theres every chance i will know your other half liz;
did you ever work at te greenway pub on the cov at some time
speak to you again liz best wishes astonion ;

HI KATYBOO;
Many thanks for your reply to the thread on coplow street
firt yes the le bridge was my first post of call and yes there could not be any body i did not know in there as they would have known me as well; i previosly on the last thread asked liz ;did she work in the greenway pub
on the cov; ;it was my mistake ; i should have said maurren ;
a girl named deirdre cambell used to go out with pepsi whom worked on the brs services and she had the brother whom was an old friend of mine by the name of paddy just lived bt the climax rentals tv shop across the rd from the le bridge taveren ;
hae a nice day best wishes astonion ;;

what a avery small world i know the campells very well indeed i am wondering if you are familiar wth ronnie gall and micky mccann i have a feeling you may be a freind of the family so to speak climax radio shop omg that takes me back i used to go there on a sat and pay ten bob for moms t.v ha ha good old days my friend wheatsheaf has now gone and flint tower all my family used to go tagus on a sat nite and when that closed wheatsheaf dudley road a tip now so much has changed

HI KATY
How are you today fine i hope ?, yes i do know ronnie and the family very well and most certainly
micky mccann and family i have known them for donkeys years
i left brum some many years ago the last tiime i was up the green the the wheatsheaf was still standing
and i went in the back smoke room and met alot of all the old gang ; meaning old friends in and from the area
espeacialy barford rd and around the green ,to many names to mention ; i.m afraid ;
i also came to take over the gardners club, but on meeting the members when i was shown through out the club
i decided agaist moving in and taking it over, for the simple reason iknew every body from the area and of course the green meaning all around the dudley rd and being friends with all the guys they would have wanted me to do the afters and i would have found that hard to do and decline them to stay after hours because there was that many
i did not really mind but my miss,s would not have liked me up all night so on the monday morning
when i was due to moe in i rang them and told them i have decline the postion ; and went some where else instead
also i declined the ladywood social as well for the same reason; knowing ll the punters
i beleive the gulls family eventualy ran the wheatsheaf in there final days before the closing down
the previous gather whom was there for years used to run the old BA pub down the rd
then they moved him to the wheatsheaf ;
yes the tagus bar down stairs was okay when itfirst openend but then it went into a deline
when i come to birminghamthe wek end i may just try and pop back up the green to see what as changed and what as gone ;yes in my eyes they was the good old days i there say going what you have said if i rolled off a dozen names you would have known them just like me its a pity we cannot roll back the years a;ye
well kate i have to pop off now ;hope top hear from you again soon may be ;
have a nice day ; oh yes i will give you a shout around monday when i have been back to my old rooting days and let you know what i think of the old stomping ground take care astonion ;;

hello mate i will let you know that ronnie is married to my cousin kelly and micky mcann was married to my sister tersesa for many yaers i dont know if your aware astonian but micky mccann died last year it was ashock to many of us

HI KATY
Nice to hear from you again ;i was aware that he was married to teresa ; but i did not know
that she was your sister, and i was not aware of him passing over [ dieing ]
that is completely a shock to me and i am very saddenend to hear of his death
do you know he his the second old friend from the green i have leart with in a month
that they ave died another old friend from heath street ; micky wahab . sheila wahabs brother whom you may remember from osler st school whom lived by deidere and paddys house on heath street died about a month back
do you remember patrica ward from barford rd she was a tall girl or denise blackwell ; she lived in coplow
street the last timei had seen her about three years ago she moved into northbrook st facing the cut
by golly she has put on weigt
kate ; thanks for coming back to us and letting me know about micky ; its is a shock to my system ; just like it is to each and every one whomknew him ;well
i am hoping to get up to the green this week end and try and gets some pics and see how the area as changed
i will come back to you around monday,some time have a nice week end best wishes astonion ;;;

hi astonian yes i know denise very well she lives over the road from me and pat ward now morrall round the corner i remember the wahabs from winson green kelly and ronnie are back down this side got the queens in heath street so if you roam around the green pop in and say hi yes there were a lot of people shocked my micks death and even now find it hard to believe no more herman or tormenting the kids bless him a very generous man still hes at peace as his health wasnt too good becase of increased weight but he was ok anyway mate ill chat soon to you enjoy your weekend take care katyboo x

Back