• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Contact with another researcher via Ancestry

It's just plain rude and annoying is'nt it.There is someone with a private tree on Ancestry who has Bertha gertrude Dyson nee Briscoe and I am sure it's my great aunt ,but they have put no contact on their tree.Their loss really as I have a fair amount of info on the family.There are also two trees I know of on A.and GR who have added three or four children and have my great gran dying 10 years later.I have her death certificate so know I've got the right date.Most of the time I only put data onto my tree at home,that way it's safe.I am in touch with another couple of cousins and we share data and research via email.
Barb

If I were you... I would hope to high heaven that this "nutcase" was in no way related !! Delete him from your memory...there are bound to be far more polite folk out their who will gladly share their family research with you. Mind you I do not have much info in my tree on Ancestry, as I am aware that there are "collectors" of names out there & I do not wish all my hard work to just become another list to them...to me they are family not just more names !!!
Good luck in you research...

Margaret.

Anyone can use anything from my tree. If I can help somebody along the way....................
Jojo

My tree on ancestry is private, but unlike Davids contact I like to think I am more helpful and open, the reason(s) it is private is because in the past I have had large chunks of it copied on to other peoples tree's who have no connection to me or my family in any way what so ever, and when I have contacted them , I am either ignored, or the cannot provide me where we are connected, another reason was from a security point of view, when I first put my tree on ancestry it did not hide any detail at all of living relatives etc, which it does now, it was open to abuse, If anyone contacts me asking to view my tree, they first have to provide me with detail of the person or family they are looking for, if we match up, then I will open my tree for them to view, and use any information they may need to complete theirs, this may sound snobbish, but I feel I should protect the data of my tree from the "fly by nights", who just want to use you, a genuine reseacher will send a request, like David did, but shouldn't the reply which he got, that isn't what this hobby of ours is all about, its to help each other, but you have to make sure you are helping the right person......

Back