• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Contact with another researcher via Ancestry

davidfowler

Exiled Brummie
Not sure where to have posted this. I found someone who had the same research as me for one of my surname interests but their tree was marked "Private". So I sent a personal message to them asking if I could have a look at his tree and that he could look at mine as it's "Public".
This is his reply, just wondered what you think.

" I see your public tree containing ******, however we appear to approach Ancestry from differing directions. I have a record based research project creating family units by systematically allocating every census record.

Since Ancestry is a Name/County based search engine, every place name in my tree is in the correct format: Parish, County, Country
Not one of yours has a county in their place of birth/death.
You also include street addresses, which should properly be in the description box of the record.

There are large numbers of people in your tree without even a birth/death place, a very bad situation, and very few records per head.

No doubt you are a do it your own way merchant, but Ancestry is designed to be an information exchangable media, why not use the correct formats? So that people receiving hints, do not need to correct them on arrival.

I am happy to send you any information I have, but would prefer it to be used properly.

So you can either tell me to get lost, or decide to improve your standards, the choice is yours."

Is it just me or?????

Hi David,

It seems that your fellow researcher is a bit of a nerd. I would tell him to get lost or just ignore him altogether. We all have our own way of doing things If he is so proud of his way why does he not go public so that we can all enjoy it?

Old Boy

Well David it takes all sorts I suppose I found his reply quite amusing coming from a pompous self opinionated .... and I for one would not give him the time of day

I understand what he's saying but what's that got to do with you having a butchers at the data?

I like to keep the format correct on ancestry, but sometimes you can only get 'so much' information.

Worst case scenario is that you import some of his tree into your tree thereby making more records in ancestry the way he wants them, there is no insistence that he has to import you data, however he deems it.

As Dek says, pompous. He should keep his data offline if sharing with the unwashed is a crime

Not really in the true spirit is it? We all approach things in different ways, hence what makes life interesting. I wonder if he understands the concept of 'work in progress' which most genealogy is by its very nature. Viv.

ok wheres my hammers...what a charming reply david....as to what do i think of it....not a lot..

lyn

Last edited:
Tell him if he wants you to "improve your standards" he's barking up the wrong tree:)

I don't store my tree online as I like to add my own comments to print-outs, and also because there are some complicated bits I just find it easier to write it down. I do try to help people who are related

but some are more concerned with gathering up the "best bits" and making up stories to fill out their tree. I do have Certificates for proof, and Library research, so I do object when they insist they are

right!! One person was not sure which woman gt gt Grandfather married so she made up a name from all three!! I have all three Certificates and forwarded the information but the person still insists

she's right. On the other side of the coin is a lady in Australia who not only was grateful for the information, but also offered to research another branch of the Family for me. Just because this man has

a private tree doesn't make it correct, and maybe another one will appear by someone who is more pleasant!!!

rosie.

Thanks everyone, I didn't want to state my opinion on my original post but I'm happy that everyone seems to have the same opinion as me. BTW his profile on Ancestry confirms he has his head firmly up his you-know-what!
As some have suggested, I'm ignoring him!

Pherhaps his tree is kept "Private" because it's as full of Bovine manure as his head obviously is!

Please do let him know that i have soft spot for him, and it's near a big tree. My shovel is in the car ready and willing!!!

Key Hill Brian

Ha Ha love your answer Brian. I have come across a couple of researchers like this and it's so pompous and silly as it puts new researchers off trying to do their tree on line. I have a tree on Ancestry which is open to all. I like to include as much info as possible to help others who may be researching the same family. I have another more personal one on my own FTM which I put more family info on and more recent information. I am still of the opinion history is for all and should be shared. I include my tree in this which has taken several years of research. I include certificates which will help others and save money. I get a lot of help in return including photo's and certificates. I have a few distant cousins who I email regularly just for a chat. One sent me some beautiful tatted (like lace) snowflakes for Christmas all the way from the US. To all new family tree researchers please don't be put off David's experience most people are there to help and like me are happy to share information. We all make mistakes it's part of the fun. The way I look at it if anything happens to me my tree will always be there for others.

He sounds a real Pratt (you never know that might appropriately be his name). I wonder how his "correct " system deals with cases where the couny changes three times . His Lord & Master , Ancestry, make a real Cod's ear of that situation sometimes

Cannot understand him, I am on Ancestry and I am overjoyed when I find information from other users, I have all my birth,deaths,and marriage Certificates scanned into my public Family History and anyone is welcome to take any info the need, In this day and age it is expensive to research, so me saving others time and money, good luck to them I say. if I find someones birth Certificate Scanned and I can add it to my own tree then they have saved me a tenner god bless them !!. Good God what a world we live in
Dave

Well, he sounds a right pompous git if you will excuse the expression. I also have a private tree (several to be exact) and if anyone wishes to see mine, I explain that not every little detail is in there, because I don't always want to finish compiling my tree when I have spare time. I do a bit here and a bit there. Also this rude chap assumes that when you know a person's birthplace, you don't necessarily know their place of death - I hafe several ancestors who have seemingly fallen off the planet, so what would he make of that.

He is obviously Mr Perfect, but like most of us, he probably makes mistakes, but I am sure would never admit it. Best left well alone, methinks.

You always get one don't you? And he really seems to take the biscuit.
My tree on Ancestry is public but really would upset him as I have not imported much onto it yet, am doing the basic research before deciding which certificates I need to buy, but anyone is welcome to share what I have.
I found a 2nd lot of Australian rels through my tree and keep n touch with them now and they have given me extra info to help my research.
So I would say leave him to his self-righteous little world and make the most of the people who want to help!
Sue

Back