• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Constitution Hill - Help to identify a pub please

wessex

master brummie
Constitution Hill - now I'm sure this was a pub years ago,it's now an arab type resturant.
Anyone put a name,or story to it please?

nd3yfx801l2gbw31a8e.jpg

ob5by3qg4vyrjgmrtwi.jpg

x6hx1egdqo1ghz31ht9.jpg

Now at the side of this is another building,actually on Summer Lane,it does look like a pub,and maybe was years ago.It's well boarded up now.Any ideas please?

drug3bhcfitd451i5ljr.jpg

0kaxcggybhiqlux9nz5.jpg

Hi Wessex,

When I worked in the area in mid 1990's it was a chinese restaurant, I think it was called something like 'The Red Dragon'. I don't know when it changed uesage from pub to restaurant.

Macca

hi wessex
you are quite right many years ago long than i remember it was a old public house ,and beleive me it was an old smellie pub
especialy around the sixties before that it was a thriving pub
then the late sixties it got discusting it could had a cleaner in there
as you walk pas the place you could smell the smoke and the stale beer even coming up from the celler
and to my recollection around the seventies it was takenover by asians then it went from that to chinese
the asians painted it a ghastly pink then the chinese painted it yellow and if my memory serves me correctly
it was an akinsons house before and for many a year
at this moment in time i just cannot bring the name to mind
but before the day is over i will think of it i can just see in my mind the pub but just not grasping it but before night fall i will
if one or two of our experts with there reference books
count three pubs along from the lord clifton in the registry
it should give you the name of that pub
counting numbers upwards which isgoingto the old snowhill area
along constution hill towards the city as i am tapping here the picture of the pub is coming strong
speak to you later best wishes astonian ;;

Hello Wessex,in the mid 60s the ground level floor was an expresso type cafe called The Surfside Stop.The upper floors were a nightclub,the name of which escapes me.
The name on the building reads H B SALES LTD.I would guess it was purposely built as an office block for that engineering company whose main works were along Summer Lane,about 50yards from this building.
Moss.

Hello Wessex,in the mid 60s the ground level floor was an expresso type cafe called The Surfside Stop.The upper floors were a nightclub,the name of which escapes me.
The name on the building reads H B SALES LTD.I would guess it was purposely built as an office block for that engineering company whose main works were along Summer Lane,about 50yards from this building.
Moss.

Used to get a lift upstairs to the nightclub but can't remember the name.
They used to have all-nighters.
I once went with a mate on his motorbike, he pulled, I didn't.
Guess who didn't get a lift home?

hi charli.-jenny
bingo guys, i think you are right
from the moment i was tapping on line to wessex
at the back of my little head some-think was telling me it began with an s , and yes it is or was before the change
great guys
best wishes astonian ;;;

Thanks folks,some useful info on the main buliding,and of course if any have info on the other in Summer Lane then thanks too.

this club was called the surfside owened by a little dark man name dougie i saw long john baldry there and a few other up and coming singers there was a cafe down stairs then you knocked a side door and you may be let in upstairs to the club,

hi folks...there were two salutations one in alma st and one on the corner of hospital st and constiution hill...both long since gone....heres a pic of both of them....must say i cant remember the building that wessex posted every being a pub...but of course i stand to be corrected on that....if it was ever a pub i wonder if anyone can tell me the name of it...cheers..

lyn:)

Last edited:
one tries ones best wessex...:rolleyes: the blue building does look like it was a pub but cant place it at the moment..the other one is locally known as the red house owing to the red brick work but somewhere in the back of my mind i thought i had been told it originally used to be some insurance company...then in more recent years its been a couple of restaurants....must do some research on that....

lyn:)

That building was never a pub. As far as I can remember it was a printer's premises, and then it was taken over by H B Sale Ltd. I do remember it as the Surfside Stop and I too have a memory (very vague...) of seeing Long John Baldry at the upstairs club. There was a tiny lift to get you upstairs, very nice if your girl-friend was with you...

The Salutation (my second home in the sixties) was on the opposite corner of Summer Lane.

Big Gee

Wessex, in the very early 60s the front of the building on Consitution Hill was inded the Surfside Stop, I do not know what it was prior to this. As others have already said the ground floor was a cafe type milk bar. The upstairs was a night club. I have posted before on another thread that I worked there as a bouncer 6 nights a week. When the club opened it was as rough as rough could be. It took a few weeks to lift the image to a more acceptable standard. It was a dangerous place to work as a doorman because a bell would ring, I would go down in the lift and it was my decision to either let whoever in or stop them. If I let them in, I had to travel with them in the lift up to the club floor. Whilst in the lift I was very vulnerable. It was good money and as soon as the place was running o/k I was moved on to another venue.

Hi Wessex,i dont know if you realised it but your second building that is painted blue,is in fact the building opposite The Salutation in Lyn's first picture.
Moss.

Hi Wessex,i dont know if you realised it but your second building that is painted blue,is in fact the building opposite The Salutation in Lyn's first picture.
Moss.

Well it certainly solves the second question;) obviously just a shop,not a pub.

hi guys
i hate to tell you but you are making a mistake this pub was there from forty,s to my knowledge the fifties [ late] and when i seen the name at the time and actualy looked into this dark bar and the smell i thought at the time mate you should call it santition
and it was around the sixtys it became surf city then that changed to afew things year in and year outand yes it was painted bright discusting pink by asians as i am tapping away here i am sure this subject came up a couple of years ago it might have been cromwell whom brought it up and discussed the pub being allowed to be painted shocking pink ,sorry astoness but i will stand bye charlie and jenny it was a pub in the fifty,sand before
as i have said if there people on the forum look up the listed pubs
for the fiftys era and taking it from the lord clifton pub
to my calulation there was only three pubs from that pub
in numeruos numbers heading towards the city centre
surf city came later along with the cedar and yellow cabs and red taxi,s the last time that was a pub was in the fifties and i am sure
it was an ackinson pub ,
i will be going to my daughters tommow in brum and i will make a point in going down to the old site and jogg my old brain box as it was or not the postion ithought it was
best wishes astonian ;;

Constitution Hill - now I'm sure this was a pub years ago,it's now an arab type resturant.
Anyone put a name,or story to it please?

nd3yfx801l2gbw31a8e.jpg

ob5by3qg4vyrjgmrtwi.jpg

x6hx1egdqo1ghz31ht9.jpg
I worked in a pub on Constitution hill in the early 70’s. That was called The White Horse Cellars, if me memory serves me well.

"The White Horse Cellars" strikes a memory with me , but my pubing days were early 60's, would it have been called that then ?

Back