• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

College Road Erdington, Perry Common

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Not sure whether this part of College Road is now classed as part of Erdington (as per photo) or Perry Common or in fact Kingstanding. This photo shows little change, taken near the junction with Epwell Road. Our family doctor was somewhere along this stretch of College Road. Remember the interior having brown oak panelling and glass partition, probably this was the reception/waiting room.

Viv

Screenshot_20230827_151142_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20230903_100840_Maps.jpg

Yes, confusing now isn't it? I had always thought of the area as Perry Common myself, with Witton to the right and Kingstanding to the left. With New Oscott ahead (by the College) and Perry Barr behind. Ahead at the traffic lights (on which Perry Common library is located), taking the right, I believed Perry Common became Short Heath and then Erdington village by the Red Lion.

The Ridgeway was in Erdington as was Brookvale Road from the position of the Stonemason opposite Moor Lane.

Definitely Perry Common did not become Small Heath. Living in Perry Common the daftness of the boundaries is at the least complex, and made even more so when the area was regenerated.
Take for example we lived for a lot of years opposite the recreational ground on Witton Lodge Road a few yareds from Dovedale road, but the regeneration stopped at Dovedale Rd and Perry Common was the border line. However, part of the field was acquired by I believe BCC, and WLCA and the last phase of the regeneration was completed. So that became Perry Common.

I lived directly opposite and we classed ourselves in Perry Common, but the house was in a build of 4 detached houses on a estate that was connected to Maxted which was classed as New Oscott, and for some reason so were we.
On the corner of Maxted Road , and College Road at one time before new owners was the Perry Common ex service men’s club .
However, the Oscott club was 2 houses from the recreation ground. Then some bright spark thought that dividing Turfpits Lane part Perry Common and Stockland Green which is nowhere near. So that never happened.

Actually I think Short Heath starts from the meeting of Perry Common Road ,Streetly Road and Short Heath Road.
We all come under Erdington Ward except for Stockland Green which is a ward.
However, it’s so complex you maybe confused I am, and still no clearer about the district boundaries except we did move into the regeneration boundary of Perry Common .
After reading this everyone if you have a headache I don’t blame you I have.

Back