• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Coke ( n0 not the drug, the fuel )

postie

The buck stops here
Staff member
How many of us have done this ?

Attachments

• Nechells Windsor St Gas Works (2).jpg
    Nechells Windsor St Gas Works (2).jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh what a lovely memory..............sitting in the coke truck being pushed down the road by my Dad to collect the weekly fuel

Typical! SITTING in a coke truck..
I had to bloody push ours..

well I was only little....................I'm a LOT younger than you.................u c! ;)

Well when Angie saw our photos she asked me if you were my Mom..

Cut the cackle Kandyman :)

What a wonderful photo postie. I had no idea that fuel had to be collected. Was it just coke? We only burned coal in my days at home, and it came, in the early years, by horse and cart.

I recall coal being delivered to my neighbour................i never recall coke coming to us....we always went to fetch it by black patch park.

PS - Angie said..............I looked slightly like you..............had you had a fling with y Mom.........get your facts straight!

Going back to the 1940's now, l used to fetch coke for my gran and other neighbours from Windsor Street Gas Works and coal from the local coal yard. There was always a long queue on Saturday morning in Windsor Street. l hope l am permited to say that l was told that some women put a pillow up their skirt so they could go strait to the front of the queue. No further comment.

Chester St or, on the right off Rookey Lane, but Saturday Mornings with the Pram ^-^

I believe we did this before about 12 months ago help Rod :)

Haloooooooooooo,i said nothing of the sort Sue,that Kandor is stirring again :-X

As a young girl in the 60s, I would be sent to get coal, the coal merchant in Nechells provided the carts. Some times we had coke.

:angel: My sister and I did the 'Coke Run' with a home made 'barra' every Saturday morning for the folk of Wickham House and a few who lived in Offenham House the Maisonettes in Gt Lister St.
We went really early to start the run, we were almost always the first there just as the bloke was opening up. By the time we been there and back about a dozen times he was closing up, so we were always the last too. The chap could get really grumpy if you didn't place the 'barra', pram or sack in the right spot under the shute as he would have to clean up all the spill. He would always give us the spill as extra if we were last, as he knew both our Dad and us kids were almost blind.

Chris :angel:

Back