• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Coffee Bars:

Bob

if you mean the one that was built in the bombed out entrance to the Great Western Arcade, then it was a branch of The Kardomah

City Colmore Row Kardomah Coffee Bar  1953.jpg

The Kardomah Cafe in New Street, 1965.
13510986_1377690488913864_3593601046815562619_n.jpg

In 2014, a post here said coffee bars were cool, but milk bars were not. That probably was correct. I did own a coffee bar just after I left the RAF in 1961.
But Milk Bars pre-dated coffee bars and was usually the only place teenagers went back in the 1950's.
They were not a prolific as coffee bars have become, but then most teenagers - of school age anyway - did not have a pocket full of money to spend. At least they gave good value for money more so that some coffee places which charge a high price for something that, I am told, costs no more than 20p. to make.

The Kardomah Cafe in New Street, 1965.
13510986_1377690488913864_3593601046815562619_n.jpg
All those granny gangstas heading in for a meeting, four already at the door and two older ones moving in quickly behind them. The lady with the walking stick is the undercover cop I presume about to change places with the headscarfed lady who will go in behind the gang and lip read. Four things you don't seem to see anymore, gents in overcoats with their newspaper under their arm and gents in trilbys and overcoats, but both with their hands in their pockets, ladies in headscarves and ladies wearing hats like those in the picture. There has been a lot of discussion on old buildings and their style and for want of a better word beauty, look at the brickwork etc around the first floor, again it shows what craftsmen existed early 1900s? Is the building still there?
Bob

I still remember the nuisance that The Hell's Grannies caused when they loitered around Aston Cross in the sixties, Bob.

DJPG-LmXcAErO06.jpg

All those granny gangstas heading in for a meeting, four already at the door and two older ones moving in quickly behind them. The lady with the walking stick is the undercover cop I presume about to change places with the headscarfed lady who will go in behind the gang and lip read. Four things you don't seem to see anymore, gents in overcoats with their newspaper under their arm and gents in trilbys and overcoats, but both with their hands in their pockets, ladies in headscarves and ladies wearing hats like those in the picture. There has been a lot of discussion on old buildings and their style and for want of a better word beauty, look at the brickwork etc around the first floor, again it shows what craftsmen existed early 1900s? Is the building still there?
Bob

The brickwork is lovely. Trying to visualise New Street, I can't place this at all.

Maria

The Kardomah building on today's New Street on the corner of Needless Alley.

kardomah building.JPG

I was in Birmingham last month, and sitting upstairs with my husband in Pret-A-Manger I was trying to overlay my memories of that end of New Street on what's there now. It was hard. I couldn't remember where Woolworth's used to be, for instance!

There were two Woolworth (note singular name) I remember in the late 1940's early fifties. The larger was the one in the Bull Ring, that had a great restaurant for British food.
The other was near the Odeon cinema in New Street. That is where I learned - from the top deck of a 29A bus - that at the time they proclaimed to be the 3d. to 6d. stores. With post war inflation I wonder when that description was removed from the familiar diamond lozenge that Woolworth always used on their shop fascias. :D
I have the opinion that this store was sold and moved to another part of New Street where The Theatre Royal had once stood.

Opposite Pret a Manger where Superdrug, Bella Italia and Boots are now!

There used to be a Woolworths in The Pallasades (now Grand Central). It closed down in 2008 / 2009 and was removed by 2014! By then it had become a Poundland.

I was in Birmingham last month, and sitting upstairs with my husband in Pret-A-Manger I was trying to overlay my memories of that end of New Street on what's there now. It was hard. I couldn't remember where Woolworth's used to be, for instance!

I can remember one store being on the left hand side of New Street as you walked toward the Odeon , then it was moved to the right hand side of New St being sited just before the Piccadily Arcade

Thanks to everyone who jogged my memory! I think it had three floors? But so did the Bull Ring one, or perhaps that was the one that had three floors. Occasionally it appears in a dream, as does Lewis's.

Cliffe,

I certainly don't recollect a jazz club behind the El Sombrero - perhaps this came about after I left Brum?

Maurice

Maurice

There definitely was a jazz club adjacent to the Sombrero ( I remember it as next door and I think it may have been called the 21 Club). I believe it was owned by the same people and they must have spent quite a lot on the fitout - it even had a balcony coffee bar. Some of the top London bands appeared there and also a trio, who's name I can't recall, who were regulars on Midlands TV. I think it was not a success as it closed after a year or two.

Trevor

Trevor,

I left Brum in January 1961 and was not aware of such a club then and was heavily involved in the jazz music business by then. I'm not sure whether fellow member Jayell was still around at that time, but she certainly frequented the El Sombrero in that era. Perhaps she can throw some light on this matter. Very interesting news though.

Maurice

There was a club for a short time before the El Sombrero closed, I think it might have been from 1962 to 1963 and that section of the Horsefair was cleared by 1964. As the listing from 1964 edition of Kelly's shows it was called The Starliner Dance Club. All Kelly's directories show listings for the previous year. In the 1963 edition the dance club is not listed and in the 1965 edition it shows that side of the Horsefair as having been cleared.

HORSE FAIR (1), Smallbrook
ringway to Bristol street. MAP F 5.
WEST SIDE.
.... here is Windmill st
8 International Restaurant
10/11 El Sombrero Coffee Bar
Starliners Club, dance Club
13 to 17 Gordon & Munnro Ltd. coffin furniture

I used to go to the Sombrero a lot in the late 50s as Maurice said. The only club I remember was the Key Club which was at the rear of the Sombrero.

Judy

I used to go to the Sombrero a lot in the late 50s as Maurice said. The only club I remember was the Key Club which was at the rear of the Sombrero.

Judy

Judy

I actually left Brum for London in late 1959 so my guess is that the jazz club which I remember probably closed in 1958. It most definitely was a jazz club which opened sometime after the Sombrero opened but that's all I can remember for sure. Wish I could remember the name of the trio who were the resident musicians. Led by a drummer I think. They also appeared on lunch time TV (was the show 'Lunchbox'?). Could be it's my memory playing tricks!!

Trevor

Alan,

I'll dispute that statement because I came out of the RAF on 8th May 1957. It took several months to find my feet again, because those were times of great change, and when you're away for two years, all your friends have gone their separate ways and you tend to make a few new ones. The first of the latter was two years older than me and also worked at BCT in Congreve Street. He'd been a vocalist with an Army (Signals) band at Blandford Forum and I did a few gigs with him and musicians he knew. But within a few months I'd found new friends and we were frequenting a host of coffee bars - the one at the top of Martineau Street with no name, Siesta, Sombrero, Zambesi, Stage Door, Jungle, to name the ones that we generally used.

By late 1959 I'd left BCT and was working at Lucas GKS and was heavily involved in writing arrangements for a 16 piece rehearsal band and a Four Freshmen-styled vocal group and for the whole of 1960 I was tied up with this until I moved south on 9th January 1961. So for me the coffee bar era was certainly in full swing in 1958 and the first half of 1959. I think that Judy (Jayell) can probably verify this too.

Trevor,

The drummer with the Lunchbox TV outfit was Lionel Rubin and last year he was still alive and kicking and living in Leicestershire. I was aware that Lionel was doing a few gigs aside from his work with ATV, but I can't remember who with or where.. The remainder of the Lunchbox band was Jerry Allen (organ & leader), Alan Grahame (vibes). and Ken Ingarfield (bass), and the only one I had brief contact with was Alan. Below a picture of Lionel, who was of Russian/Jewish descent and was very good drummer.

Maurice

I actually left Brum for London in late 1959 so my guess is that the jazz club which I remember probably closed in 1958. It most definitely was a jazz club which opened sometime after the Sombrero opened but that's all I can remember for sure. Wish I could remember the name of the trio who were the resident musicians. Led by a drummer I think. They also appeared on lunch time TV (was the show 'Lunchbox'?). Could be it's my memory playing tricks!!

Trevor
Jerry Allen Trio?

Alan,

I'll dispute that statement because I came out of the RAF on 8th May 1957. It took several months to find my feet again, because those were times of great change, and when you're away for two years, all your friends have gone their separate ways and you tend to make a few new ones. The first of the latter was two years older than me and also worked at BCT in Congreve Street. He'd been a vocalist with an Army (Signals) band at Blandford Forum and I did a few gigs with him and musicians he knew. But within a few months I'd found new friends and we were frequenting a host of coffee bars - the one at the top of Martineau Street with no name, Siesta, Sombrero, Zambesi, Stage Door, Jungle, to name the ones that we generally used.

By late 1959 I'd left BCT and was working at Lucas GKS and was heavily involved in writing arrangements for a 16 piece rehearsal band and a Four Freshmen-styled vocal group and for the whole of 1960 I was tied up with this until I moved south on 9th January 1961. So for me the coffee bar era was certainly in full swing in 1958 and the first half of 1959. I think that Judy (Jayell) can probably verify this too.

Trevor,

The drummer with the Lunchbox TV outfit was Lionel Rubin and last year he was still alive and kicking and living in Leicestershire. I was aware that Lionel was doing a few gigs aside from his work with ATV, but I can't remember who with or where.. The remainder of the Lunchbox band was Jerry Allen (organ & leader), Alan Grahame (vibes). and Ken Ingarfield (bass), and the only one I had brief contact with was Alan. Below a picture of Lionel, who was of Russian/Jewish descent and was very good drummer.

Maurice

View attachment 135231

Back