• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cock Sparrow Hall Warwick

maxinebentley

My 3rd Great Grandfather is listed on a baptismal record at St Marys Warwick on 6 October 1816 as residing at Cock Sparrow Hall, and his occupation was listed as a labourer. Any information about Cock Sparrow Hall would be gratefully appreciated.

Attachments

• William Pittaway - Henry Baptism 06101816.pdf
    556.9 KB · Views: 6
Welcome to the Forum.
As the baptism took place at St Mary Warwick I assume the address refers to Cocksparrow Hall Maxstoke rather than Cock Sparrow Hall Ward End.
I no longer think it is this building. See later post re: road name.

Last edited:
Just checked and that is about 25 miles from Warwick. It may be one of tghe parents came from that area and they went "home" for the baptism.
I also found references to Cocksparrow Hall Lane. That might need checking out

The 3 oldest children of William were all baptised at Warwick (St Mary's) between 1814 and 1819. The other 3 children were baptised at Leek Wootton church between 1821 and 1827. Their mother Ruth died in 1829 and is buried at Leek Wootton.

A History of the County of Warwick (found here https://www.british-history.ac.uk/) has this entry

In 1791 a meeting-place in Cocksparrow Hall (now part of Bowling Green Street) was registered for worship by the priest,
I am beginning to wonder if it is a road name where William and His Family lived rather than a property.

Back