• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Clothes & shoes of yesteryear

I don't think I was very fashion concious when I was young. I loved to wear a pair of jeans and a smart top or sloppy jumper in the winter but loved to wear a little black dress for an evening out. I think nothing looks more repulsive than women with their bellies hanging and and men with bob the builder trousers. I like a classic suit with a skirt or trousers but nothing showy. Suppose I am a plane Jean. The one thing I did and still do love are matching handbag and shoes. When designers dictate what the fashion of the day is I have never gone out to buy something because it is the trend. I wear what I feel comfy in.

Hi Jean
I was a Plane Jean too because we never had the money to spend on Clothes . I used to wear my teenage elder sisters clothes when they weren't looking :)
Jean x

Jean my favourite dress was the one I borrowed from my friend Betty next door and she ended up letting me keep it. It was black with rows of black loops from the top to the bottom. I loved that dress. Jean.

In my day you wore something until it went out of fashion; you didn't commit yourself to wearing it for the rest of your life!

Hi Ladies
DO YOU REMEMBER THE SACK DRESSES, ? .
DID YOU HAVE THE MARY QUANT HAIR STYLE
THE SACK DRESSES WAS IN THE LATE FORTYS EARLY FIFTIES
AND MARY QUANT IN THE LATE FIFTIES -EARLY SIXTIES
HAVE NICE DAY FOLKS BEST WISHES ASTONIAN ;;

Fashion dies...but style lives forever.:rolleyes:
Winkle picker shoes must have been the worst fashion item ever,the last pair I had were taken off whilst on a bus,(I had a corn) and I walked home barefoot.:)
My sister-in-law told me her feet are still mishapen because of the awful shoes she forced her feet into as a girl.:(

When times were harder I seem to remember we tried our best to look smart or at least casual/smart but with better living standards and cheap clothing looking smart is no longer a challenge.

The answer is....................... all oldies to wear the same clothes as these "fashion nerds"!!!!!

That'll make 'em change :D

Just can't see me in High Heel Shoes again, mini skirts [and I did wear them sometimes] and tight T shirts - now I'm all for comfort and ease. Miriam

C&A in the 60s was the best and cheapest shop to buy the latest clothes. It was so hard trying to keep up with the fast changing fashion in the 60s.
I'm glad in a way that you can wear anything these days.

Marshall50. I agree totally - I bought quite a few of my clothes at C & A and was disappointed when they closed down. Matalon are OK but never find anything that fits very well. Miriam.

I used to love C&A - so many racks of affordable clothes. Mum couldn't afford to buy us lots of clothes and being the youngest I used to get a lot of hand-me-downs. I used to love it when a couple of times a year mum would take me and my sisters to C&A to get a new outfit - (sometimes if we had been invited to a wedding). I learnt quickly and always went for a skirt and top rather than a dress because I knew I could make them look different by wearing them with different things. This has stayed with me throughout my life. It always makes me laugh when I read magazine articles written by highly paid people to advise you how to put a 'capsule' wardrobe together by mixing and matching - I did that years ago - a knack you learn by lack of money!
Polly :)

Looking at newsreels from WW2 it can give the impression the war was fought in a collar and tie.Some uniforms may have looked smart but were impracticable by todays standards. Looking around the pub yesterday I realised what a bunch of scruffs most of us looked like. I wore a jumper beneath a traditional blazer type jacket and jeans that fitted. The rest of us were beyond description. Very few clothes actually fitted, few colours matched and no semblance of style was apparent. Big wooly jumpers over soiled track suit bottoms . Shapeless trecking jackets, jeans 4x to big and scuffed footwear. Have we lost our sense of self respect. Is it now to much trouble to spend a little time in making ourselves presentable.
If I see a smartly turned out gent then I am probably looking at someone who did National Service. After that time we seem to have lost the plot.

Back in the 90s I liked the gents clothes from CA...smart and affordable.

Oh yes Ray winkle picker shoes. My feet are still pointed to this day. I loved them though, especially when they came out in 'gun metal grey'. Loved the gingham Brigitte Bardot look too.

I have reached a new low in my life,I wear hand-me-downs,donated by my grandsons.:)
However,it does put me at the cutting edge of fashion.As an aside to fashion,one of my teenage grandsons asked his mom,"are you using different soap powder?because my clothes are shrinking...she had to explain to him he was growing bigger...no worries,more of his cast off clothing for me.:)

That "Foundation Garment" in pic 3 is reminiscent of the Bullet Bras of the 1950s :love: or Madonna's "cones". Elements of fashion are cyclical....

Not very sure that I would like to wear those underclothes, but I do love the red dress (top right) but sadly, too old, too short and now too fat

Evergreen, do not put yourself down, you would look a real cracker in that.

I concur Evergreen - especially being the media star you are. Possibly something from the Roma's Fashion catalogue too for day-wear (Foundationed or otherwise...)?

Stitcher & Aiden

Thank you both, I did see a 'Bet Lynch' coat in Merry Hill yesterday, not sure wether to wear it, pat it or give it a saucer of milk

I wonder what a lot of them would think of clean clothes and shiny shoes.

I remember my dad and uncles always put a clean collar and shirt on, factory workers my uncles were, my dad at the post office,not well off at all, but always looked smart.

I think I still have a jumper like that! And I used to have striped Jim-Jams. I think plus-fours have only ever been for the monied class which I think would include golfers in the 30s

Back